I love the blackberry PlayBook and im bored solid with ipad, how can I get my PlayBook to run quicker? Will there be any future updates.? I ADORE my passport, best phone ever, just wish I could get the PlayBook to load quicker, any tips?

Posted via CB10
    08-23-15 04:54 PM
    There will be no future updates - that's one thing that's for sure.

Posted via CB10
    rosemary quaye likes this.
    08-23-15 05:02 PM
    My PlayBook is still alive and working however it's on life support with no chance of a full recovery...BlackBerry has decided no future updates and you either keep it alive as is, or pull the plug and move on.

A search on CrackBerry would have given you plenty of answers.

Posted via CB10 - Z10 'Powered by BlackBerry'
    08-23-15 05:06 PM
    There is no real way to make your Playbook faster other than removing unneeded files and apps etc and performing a wipe and reload. I do this once in a while and there is a notable performance increase. One tip you should be aware of, if you aren't already, is to put your Playbook into "Showcase" mode. This makes for some true multi-tasking and works impressively on the Playbook. Go to Settings/General/Application Behavior and toggle to Showcase.
    08-23-15 06:44 PM
    Wipe it and reload OS and it should run quicker! I do this to my playbooks every six months or so

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2339
    08-23-15 07:10 PM
    Wipe it and reload OS and it should run quicker! I do this to my playbooks every six months or so

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2339
    Been there and done that for sure. PlayBook user since day 1.

Also to the OP, the more Android side-loads you have or will become slower at a faster rate. This I can say for sure. So only load what you will actually use when it comes to Android apps.

Posted via a touchscreen, excuse the typoos.
    08-24-15 10:33 AM
    If you are referring to faster loading in the browser, aside from the proven methods posted above, be sure and periodically clear your cache, as well as periodic restarts. A loaded cache will definitely slow down your browser experience.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-15 06:19 PM
    You can borrow your friend Bugatti and take your Playbook for a ride. Wooooosh....

Posted via CB10
    methodinsane likes this.
    08-25-15 05:13 AM
    U could give your PlayBook to Usain Bolt, he runs quite fast.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-15 07:17 AM
    Rooting playbook to android lollipop will increase performance 4x and add up to 90 minutes to battery time. Google "update blackberry playbook to Lollipop" for instructions. Have not tried this myself but comments seem to be favourable.
    08-25-15 10:58 AM
    Rooting playbook to android lollipop will increase performance 4x and add up to 90 minutes to battery time. Google "update blackberry playbook to Lollipop" for instructions. Have not tried this myself but comments seem to be favourable.
    Color me skeptical. I googled as you suggested, and I'm guessing that whoever wrote that/those tutorials don't know what a playbook is (i.e., that it's not an android device)..
    08-25-15 11:41 AM
    OK. A little more research, and rather than the comments being favorable, they're almost certainly bogus. See here, Install Android 5.1.1 Lollipop on BlackBerry PlayBook | Android Lollipop , and here- Upgrade/Update blackberry playbook price to 5.0 Lollipop - 5.0 Lollipop ROM and here- Starway Vega T1 Custom Roms - 5.0 Lollipop ROM Two different websites, two different devices (Playbook and a Staway Vega- whatever that is) and yet the comments are identical. How can this be?
    08-25-15 11:52 AM
    OK. A little more research, and rather than the comments being favorable, they're almost certainly bogus. See here, Install Android 5.1.1 Lollipop on BlackBerry PlayBook | Android Lollipop , and here- Upgrade/Update blackberry playbook price to 5.0 Lollipop - 5.0 Lollipop ROM and here- Starway Vega T1 Custom Roms - 5.0 Lollipop ROM Two different websites, two different devices (Playbook and a Staway Vega- whatever that is) and yet the comments are identical. How can this be?
    Yeah if the PlayBook was recently cracked to this extent we would have heard of it by now. Calling bogus on this one too.

Posted via a touchscreen, excuse the typoos.
    08-25-15 11:59 AM
    Hear hear. Not possible, sorry.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-15 04:40 PM
    Yeah I wish but unfortunately not. I still use mine mainly while my Passport is charging or I need a slightly bigger screen. All the above work. Keep it slim and limit the android sideloads.

Posted by Passport on bb10 but not sure for how much longer!
    08-26-15 02:28 PM
    The 4g model is a bit faster. Overall most Androids at 1GB ram don't run faster, in fact most cases slower.

PlayBook UK Channel C001CB4A1
    08-26-15 05:23 PM
    I can also confirm the 32GByte 4G LTE variant does seem to be snappier and more responsive (1.5 vs 1GHz). Another factor is ensuring you have a strong WiFi signal.
    08-26-15 05:36 PM
    It is what it is - an old tablet with no updates coming for anything.

That having been said, there are some things you can do to make the experience better.

I use fast browser a lot - I set the client ID to the BB10 browser, set the ad blocker to aggressive, and leave the blue lightning bolt on (to disable flash). The browsing performance is better than my wife's iPad 2 by a good bit.

I use Feed Wheel as my rss reader to keep up with the news. Works great.

Use Gpodder as my podcast app.
    brookie229 likes this.
    08-29-15 09:19 AM
    It is what it is - an old tablet with no updates coming for anything.

That having been said, there are some things you can do to make the experience better.

I use fast browser a lot - I set the client ID to the BB10 browser, set the ad blocker to aggressive, and leave the blue lightning bolt on (to disable flash). The browsing performance is better than my wife's iPad 2 by a good bit.

I use Feed Wheel as my rss reader to keep up with the news. Works great.

Use Gpodder as my podcast app.
    I just tried your settings for Fast Browser and it is really good (for Playbook standards!). Much appreciated.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-15 09:32 AM
    If you are referring to faster loading in the browser, aside from the proven methods posted above, be sure and periodically clear your cache, as well as periodic restarts. A loaded cache will definitely slow down your browser experience.

Posted via CB10
    _______

How does one reduce one's cache size? I didn't see it anywhere in the "get" icon at top right. Also, is there a "history" site that one can delete?
    08-29-15 11:26 PM
    "....just wish I could get the PlayBook to load quicker, any tips?..."

Get rid of all the apps you loaded and gave permissions for unknowns to peruse all the contents at anytime/anywhere !!
    08-30-15 12:03 AM
    _______

How does one reduce one's cache size? I didn't see it anywhere in the "get" icon at top right. Also, is there a "history" site that one can delete?
    Not Sure about reducing cache size but in browser swipe down from the top and go into privacy. You can empty the cache and history there.

Just tried the fast browser method and now I can use my cloud based accounting software albeit with flash left on so thanks for that. Previously couldn't really do it with the stock and origami so thanks for that tip.

Something else I noticed is having plenty of charge helps speed. Everything seems to run a lot smoother with a full charge. Another thing I've noticed is if you leave the playbook in standby knock wifi off then on again before browsing. Wifi seems to go a bit clunky after its came out of standby.

Posted by Passport on bb10 but not sure for how much longer!
    08-30-15 05:52 AM
    Thanks. Tried it and hope it works.
    08-30-15 10:26 PM
    Yes, but then it becomes inop... no longer able to video chat...lame

Posted via CB10
    09-03-15 08:25 PM
    How do you wipe and reload the OS ?
    03-09-17 02:57 PM
28 12