Ok, so, my dad won one of these things in a raffle because they ran out of iPads haha. It messed up and he gave it to me because I fixed it. I want to know if there is anything i can do to make this thing worth a crap. Load a different OS on it? I mean ive side loaded a few .bar apps but a lot of them freeze up on a black screen when i open them or don't even install (via BBH Tool), (Is there a specific reason that's happening???) but is there anything else i can do. This thing is so lame...
    10-29-14 12:25 AM
    but is there anything else i can do. This thing is so lame...
    If you want help around here, the first thing you can do is lose the attitude.
    mh1983 likes this.
    10-29-14 12:48 AM
    Not lame, but doesn't work for everyone's needs. There is no way to install another OS or run anything other than the Playbook OS. Yes, it has its limitations. For my needs, it works fine, but I understand that it doesn't meet everyone's requirements. If you really feel that it doesn't work for you, best thing to do is either give it back to your dad or sell it.
    10-29-14 06:44 AM
    If you want help around here, the first thing you can do is lose the attitude.
    Don't you think he has an opinion just like everyone else. At this stage of the tablet game, the Playbook is lame.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 11:00 PM
    Did the OP actually acquire a PB. or just some other unidentified BB product.

nite

btw I would likely say similiar about ..... apple product if just 'inherited' and had not read any available manuals.
    10-30-14 11:26 PM
    Don't you think he has an opinion just like everyone else. At this stage of the tablet game, the Playbook is lame.
    He's got an opinion, and he has a right to it. But, if he comes on a forum dedicated to the Playbook and which is populated by mostly Playbook users, and he is looking for advice from these same users on how to improve the usability of his Playbook, then he might be better served if he kept his opinions in check. I, for one, have the right NOT to help him out if I so choose (and I do so choose), and you'll notice that he's gotten little help from anyone else. I suspect that this fact is largely due to his attitude.

As to the Playbook being "lame", it is not- but that's just my opinion. "Lame" is a relative term that really doesn't mean anything. If a device does what you want it to, then it's not lame, and if it doesn't, then well...... I, for one, have been coming on this forum long enough and have been playing around with my Playbook long enough to now be able to maximize its utility. I'm somewhat of a PB android runtime guru around here, and I've freely shared my knowledge with others here. The OP mentioned that he's had problems with sideloaded apps, and I certainly could help him out in this regard, but, nah, I don't think so.
    mh1983, Cracklen and dmlis like this.
    10-30-14 11:47 PM
    Ok, so, my dad won one of these things in a raffle because they ran out of iPads haha. It messed up and he gave it to me because I fixed it. I want to know if there is anything i can do to make this thing worth a crap. Load a different OS on it? I mean ive side loaded a few .bar apps but a lot of them freeze up on a black screen when i open them or don't even install (via BBH Tool), (Is there a specific reason that's happening???) but is there anything else i can do. This thing is so lame...
    OK, I know nothing about sideloading but a few suggestions.............
    First......................loose the iPhone and buy something less retro such as a Q10. Now when using BB Bridge you can surf the net using your phone's data plan. Download Origami browser to improve the experience. Side load a few movies and transfer to your TV via HDMI cable or watch on the wonderful Playbook screen. Do the usual with Facebook, Twitter U-tube, check your email. Download and watch something less mainstream via the NFB app. Load some music, or stream from Slacker or Nobex radio. Sound is terrific on this tablet.
    Finally, download the Crackberry app if you need some more ideas on personal development.
    Good Luck
    11-01-14 03:28 PM
    PlayBook could always use a browser with continuous development. So if you know how to develop that would help.
    11-01-14 04:15 PM
    I believe the android runtime on the playbook is android 2.3. So you will have to install bar files of android apps that are compatible with android 2.3 or earlier. Or else they will not install or crash upon opening like you're experiencing.

Even some 2.3 and earlier apps don't work ( mostly games). There are ways to make most of them work though.

Besides that. If you hook it up to your tv it can be used as a decent media system while controlling it from your BlackBerry phone.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 04:54 PM
    PlayBook could always use a browser with continuous development. So if you know how to develop that would help.

I love my 1 finger operation of the Origami Browser on my Playbook. Simple works for me. My galaxy tab is constantly jumping off to do something I don't want or need no matter where I hold the darn thing.
    11-01-14 05:42 PM