With RIM's offer of $299 for all size PlayBooks ending today, I'm getting the 64 GB. I currently have the 32GB with only 9GB left, and since I'm using it more I want the double space. What steps will ensure that I can move everything over as completely as possible (app settings, desktop organization, bookmarks, etc., as well as files)? i haven't been able to back up my PlayBook with Desktop Manager since the first OS so file backup has been drag-and-drop to my PC and nothing else is backed up. Thanks for suggestions!
    01-04-12 04:48 PM
    sign up with box.net as long as they are still giving the 50gb free you can uplosd and then restore your data. Apps you can reinstall if you use same bbid, settings I think you are on your own to re-enter.
    01-04-12 07:01 PM
    With RIM's offer of $299 for all size PlayBooks ending today, I'm getting the 64 GB. I currently have the 32GB with only 9GB left, and since I'm using it more I want the double space. What steps will ensure that I can move everything over as completely as possible (app settings, desktop organization, bookmarks, etc., as well as files)? i haven't been able to back up my PlayBook with Desktop Manager since the first OS so file backup has been drag-and-drop to my PC and nothing else is backed up. Thanks for suggestions!
    If you can't back up at all, then you can't move settings or apps over directly. You'll lose all your app sandbox data in that case, but can preserve all the files in the shared folder, which is also where some apps store their data.

Long shot: it's now known that the President's Choice Recipe Box app prevents "app" backup from working on most PlayBooks. If you happen to be running it, uninstall it, restart, and try backing up again and it may work (if no other app is similarly causing problems... we don't know the actual root cause yet).

As for the shared folder, where the media files and other stuff are stored: just copy it all over USB to your PC, then once you've configured the new tablet, copy it all from the PC over to that one.
    jafobabe likes this.
    01-04-12 07:31 PM
    is the desktop software working at all ? if so just try the option for "replacing my device" or device replacement wizard or something like that . it will ask you to put the old one on , then ask you to put the new one on. it is dessigned exactly for this. You can even tell it if you want to do just settings or media. i just did it on mine as i went from 16 to 32 and it worked great . i just had to enter screen protection password and a couple of other things.

Then it asked me if i wanted to wipe the old one and i hooked it back up and it took care of things
    01-04-12 07:59 PM
    If you can't back up at all, then you can't move settings or apps over directly. You'll lose all your app sandbox data in that case, but can preserve all the files in the shared folder, which is also where some apps store their data.

Long shot: it's now known that the President's Choice Recipe Box app prevents "app" backup from working on most PlayBooks. If you happen to be running it, uninstall it, restart, and try backing up again and it may work (if no other app is similarly causing problems... we don't know the actual root cause yet).

As for the shared folder, where the media files and other stuff are stored: just copy it all over USB to your PC, then once you've configured the new tablet, copy it all from the PC over to that one.
    Good info!
    Most PCs have multiple USB ports, could you not just hook them both up and drag/drop direct from one set of folders to the other PB? They just look like additional drives no?
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-04-12 08:45 PM
    With RIM's offer of $299 for all size PlayBooks ending today, I'm getting the 64 GB.
    Where are you getting information that the offer is ending today? SBB has these on sale through Feb. 4 according to their website.
    01-04-12 08:54 PM
    Good info!
    Most PCs have multiple USB ports, could you not just hook them both up and drag/drop direct from one set of folders to the other PB? They just look like additional drives no?
    You know, I never thought of trying that, but I do believe it would work. Should work, anyway...

They do look like extra drives, but not like "mass storage devices" the way a flash stick does. It's actually done with TCP and network shares, so you can ignore the drive letters if you want, but either way, it should work.

Good call... anyone tried it to confirm? I've got 4GB of music to move from a 32GB to a 16GB tomorrow, so I'll give it a shot if no one else has by then.
    01-04-12 09:42 PM
    Where are you getting information that the offer is ending today? SBB has these on sale through Feb. 4 according to their website.
    You are correct - I misread that.
    01-05-12 02:34 AM
    Had a similar need with my Playbook when I first got it. I encountered seemingly unsolvable problem of not being able to backup my playbook. Suggestions I read/got mostly pointed to re-installing OS.

Anyway, because I needed to backup all my files from my PB, here's what I tried.
    1. From Desktop Manager, select your PB and look for the menu option --Device--Forget Device. This will delete previous settings stored in your computer (including drivers, etc.)
    1.A You may also try uninstalling and reinstalling Desktop Manager on your computer to have a clean start.
    2. Try doing a full backup.
    3. If you're still unable to do a full backup, try doing a custom backup (Application Data and Settings)...but do it separately. In my case, Desktop Mgr wouldn't allow me to do a full backup nor a custom backup with these two selected, but it eventually allowed me to do (1) a custom backup of Application Data, and (2) a custom backup of Settings. If you succeed at these two, which are minimal in size, try doing (3) a custom backup of Media. If you succeed in doing any of (or all) three items, you have less to worry about in terms of manual backup (drag-drop/cut-paste).
    4. In my case, I knew that Application Data and Settings could be re-setup anyway, so my main priority was getting the media files/documents backed up. Do that manually on your pc. Note that if you were unable to backup Application Data and Settings, this may affect output files that your apps may have created in its native form/language. For instance, I had to backup notes from Groovy Notes manually. If these are crucial for you, you may have to do them for each app you deem fit.
    5. Perform security wipe of your PB.
    6. Re-setup your PB. This may include re-downloading over wifi of the latest update. Be sure to have stable wifi connection. In my case, I had to restart and retry about 20 times all because the wifi connection would stop and interrupt the download/update process.
    7. Once you're done, reconnect your PB to your pc via USB and restore any backups you were able to accomplish.
    8. Copy back all the media/document files back on to your PB (assuming that you had to do it manually).
    9. Switch on your PB and re-setup application permissions (if needed), and check to see you've not lost files/apps.
    10. If you need to reinstall purchased/downloaded apps, they're right there at Appworld under Uninstalled.

After doing all these, try doing a full backup now. I suppose it would let you do that now (hopefully). Once done, you're ready to welcome your new 64GB playbook, with all the apps and content waiting to be stored on that mammoth storage!

Hope this helps! Best of luck transferring files. Oh, and congratulations on your new 64GB Playbook!!! Now you have two Playbooks!!
    Last edited by aj.bb.fanatic; 01-05-12 at 03:19 AM. Reason: added step
    01-05-12 03:16 AM
    You know, I never thought of trying that, but I do believe it would work. Should work, anyway...

They do look like extra drives, but not like "mass storage devices" the way a flash stick does. It's actually done with TCP and network shares, so you can ignore the drive letters if you want, but either way, it should work.

Good call... anyone tried it to confirm? I've got 4GB of music to move from a 32GB to a 16GB tomorrow, so I'll give it a shot if no one else has by then.
    It does work.

I "cloned" my 16GB PB to a 64GB PB with a combination of copying the Z:<folders> to my PC, and then copying back to the same named folders on the new PB, plus setting up my 2nd PB with the same BBID to get all my Apps back (you'll find them all under the "uninstalled" tab - just hit the re-install button).

It's not perfect, the re-installed Apps won't remember their settings on the new PB, so you have to re-login on some and start from level 1 when you teach those pigs a lesson on Angry Birds!
    01-05-12 06:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD