• A few Scratches

3 2.48%
  • Very Few scratches

1 0.83%
  • Maybe one or two scratches

17 14.05%
  • No scratches

99 81.82%
    I use my PlayBook everyday since May 2011. I put my Zagg invisible shield on a week after purchasing the PlayBook, I removed the Zagg shield about 5 months ago......should have taken it off the next day after I put it on. NO SCRATCHES and much easier to use without a screen protector.
    10-28-12 08:41 PM
    No scratches. Kept in the OEM case.
    10-28-12 09:51 PM
    I have already taken it off based on the results of the poll. Its not like a phone where its going in pockets with keys and whatnot. Its either in my hand or in a case.
    Personally, I'd never go off a poll for something like this.

If you get a scratch on the screen of your PlayBook, that could have been prevented by either keeping the original screen protector on, or installing a new one, I doubt it will be much consolation that 99% respondents to a poll in an internet forum hadn't encountered scratches without a screen protector.

I agree with others on this - I struggle to see the imposition - it doesn't feel or operate any differently with a screen protector on, nor does it seem to impact the visuals. So unless the prospect / potential of scratches - however accidental (the grain of sand / grit does it for me, as I've encountered it actually ruining a screen protector on a device, but fortunately, didn't make it through to the actual screen) is truly something you wouldn't care about if they occurred, I'm not gettting the reluctance from some.
    FF22 and neel69 like this.
    10-29-12 01:42 AM
    i think it all depends how carefull you are with the device...
    the original screenprotector is no option imo because of the gesture prints.

For me a screen protecter is not needed for the playbook, at home its save in my hands. lying on the table, in case or whatever... when im taking it with me its in the case all the time when not used.
    The only problem i could see is dropping the thing, but in that case a screen protector wouldnt help anyway...
    10-29-12 04:46 AM
    i think it all depends how carefull you are with the device...
    the original screenprotector is no option imo because of the gesture prints.
    They're easily removed, either with a fingernail, or cleaning fluid. Then you have a perfectly applied screen protector.
    For me a screen protecter is not needed for the playbook, at home its save in my hands. lying on the table, in case or whatever... when im taking it with me its in the case all the time when not used.
    The only problem i could see is dropping the thing, but in that case a screen protector wouldnt help anyway...
    I keep coming back to the grain of grit / sand thing.

What I'm not getting is the downside to using one - especially those that have kept and cleaned up the original screen protector.
    10-29-12 05:40 AM
    They're easily removed, either with a fingernail, or cleaning fluid. Then you have a perfectly applied screen protector.

I keep coming back to the grain of grit / sand thing.

What I'm not getting is the downside to using one - especially those that have kept and cleaned up the original screen protector.
    My 32gig is still protected by the original "hand gestures" protector. Do those hand prints actually remove using some GENTLE solvent or cleaner? What do you suggest?
    10-29-12 09:06 AM
    My 32gig is still protected by the original "hand gestures" protector. Do those hand prints actually remove using some GENTLE solvent or cleaner? What do you suggest?
    I gently scratched them off using my fingernail - but I have read of other people using some kind of cleaner.

Can't remember whether it was something mildly abrasive, or something more like nail polish remover. You could try something - a very small amount on a cotton wool ball, or cloth and see if it removes it - otherwise, the fingernail thing worked well for me. I'd read about it in a thread elsewhere, before I'd bought mine, so thought it worth trying when I got mine, and true enough - I've not had to bother buying and applying a screen protector, because the original one is perfect, once you've removed the gesture marks.
    10-29-12 10:43 AM
    Just to clarify the abrasive cleaner should only be used on the gesture spots on the plastic cover that came with the PB never directly on the screen.

Tbh though I've gone through 5 playbooks, 4 without screen protectors. I bring it to work/home daily and I use a flipbook style case.

All 5 PBs have 0 scratches. The chargers howver (dock and plugin) do cause minor wear.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    11-11-12 04:46 PM
    Gorilla glass does scratch. Nexus owners are complaining about the Corning Fit glass on their device.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/moto-droid...ow-repair.html

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    11-11-12 07:45 PM
    I am one of the late adapters to the Playbook. I ordered my 64GB Playbook on Jan 3rd/4th. So far there are zero scratches. Nada.
    11-11-12 10:59 PM
    I've had mine for what.. a year now? Not a scratch. Using the BB convertable case.
    11-12-12 12:33 AM
    Had a 32gb since UK launch, only one scratch on it and that was from when it got dropped on the concrete and a small stone scuffed against the screen. Not massively noticeable, not compared to the shattered mess I was expecting to see anyway!
    11-12-12 02:26 AM
    Mine is 15 months. No screen protector. No scratches. I use eye glass cleaner and micro cleaning cloth. After my grandson uses it there are food particles stuck to it. Daily use.
    11-12-12 10:51 AM
    Had my Playbook since day 1. No screen protector. Use the BB leather slip case. No scratches.
    11-12-12 10:55 AM
    A year ago I saw the YouTube vid with the CB clown using his keys on the PB. That convinced me that it would be okay to carry my PB, totally naked, in my cargo pants pocket. Big mistake. I don't know if it was dust/grit or just getting banged around in there, but within two months, my screen had developed dozens of microfractures, visible only when it was in standby. A few months later a 1cm deeper fracture appeared and started to propagate, eventually leading to a completely cracked but still useable digitizer---which I finally replaced myself in July for under $30, thanks to eBay.

Since then, I no longer carry the PB in a pocket---but it's still naked. No scratches (yet). Could also be that the replacement glass is better than they were using in April 2011.
    Last edited by dugggggg; 11-12-12 at 11:55 AM.
    11-12-12 11:38 AM
    I use my playbook daily, very heavily actually. I also let my 4-year old use it. Zero scratches.
    11-12-12 02:34 PM
    not very cautious with mine and still looks brand new.very impressed with the quality.
    11-12-12 10:26 PM
    Update: I have a busted 64gb I've been kicking around loose unprotected in a backpack pocket for a few weeks. Waiting to send it in to RIM for a bad mobo/battery but been busy.

Its also still unscratched. . No case either. I wouldn't recommend that though.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    11-16-12 09:49 PM
93 ... 234