Hi, I have bought a play book for a Christmas present as I was considering a kindle fire but I am concerned about anything running android due to the risk of potential malware from apps as their control isn't nearly as strict as ios. How do blackberry vet the apps to make sure there is no malware as I have just read that android apps are included in blackberrys app store and you can't tell untIl you have downloaded them? I hope that blackberry controls this aspect tightly seeing that security and privacy is what they are known for, the same goes for flash support within their browser as flash always seems to have vulnerabilities that are being patched, does blackberry also patch the flash within the browser?
    11-30-12 01:06 PM
    I can't answer the vetting rim provides but many apps during the install will ask for certain permissions - access to files (anything reading or saving a file would need this), gps and/or location data, more invasive (Device ID info including Tracking). You can deny or allow or prompt BUT in some cases some apps might not work if that particular app DEMANDS such access (even if maybe unneeded).
    11-30-12 03:37 PM
    If you download any Handster apps they want access to your wallet, 401K, DNA, and your choldren's children for an arranged marriage
    FF22 and Bumble2000 like this.
    11-30-12 04:24 PM
    And still chuckling!
    11-30-12 05:33 PM
    I hope there is some additional vetting otherwise rim potentially imported apps with malware which users will then load and although you can deny apps that want certain access most people will just say yes to whatever is asked as they want to run the app. Blackberry need to protect their users as most people won't actually protect themselves.
    12-01-12 01:56 AM
    I hope there is some additional vetting otherwise rim potentially imported apps with malware which users will then load and although you can deny apps that want certain access most people will just say yes to whatever is asked as they want to run the app. Blackberry need to protect their users as most people won't actually protect themselves.
    The problem there is that we don't know how protective versus censoring Rim might be. Quite a while ago, Rim would not allow any third party browsers on the system. They would not approve the SimpleBrowser predecessor for unknown reasons. That Browser has a ton more features and, of course, allows folks to possibly go to sites that could be problematic. But how much hand-holding do you or other users want. A delicate balance.
    12-01-12 08:32 AM
    Android apps are clearly distinguishable as they run in the android player. If you do a top bezel swipe down, you will see the android player back button and other settings for the android app, and the default grey color scheme and font seen on android.

See if the app asks for permissions. If an app is asking for too much then you may want to deny and see if it still works. Usually these apps rely on internet to download ads and may also report user-usage of the app to the developer. Some also want GPS info to track user distribution but also for geographic targeted ads (to certain countries, regions, etc).

As a developer myself, I know RIM does follow the new vetting guidelines. How far it tests things is unknown, but if anything is found in the future the developer would be in major trouble for having agreed to something.

Most of the guidelines are easy to find if they are being followed during normal app use. But who is to check every line of code in an app? Nobody. Theoretically a developer could add some cryptic code to grab a bunch of info and send it back to them, encrypted.

Even then, since the apps need permissions and run in a "sandbox" which keeps them from accessing everything on your playbook, you are being protected.

To be truly certain, only install apps that don't ask for additional permissions and realize that you will probably ignore 80% of the ported free android apps which all make their money from advertising banners or selling user information.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    12-01-12 09:10 AM
    Considering some of the utter crap I've seen and some of the apps that really just don't work with just 15 seconds of testing, it appears RIM doesn't do any vetting at all.

I think unless the title of the app has a offensive word in it you can put up whatever you like.
    12-01-12 10:15 AM
    Considering some of the utter crap I've seen and some of the apps that really just don't work with just 15 seconds of testing, it appears RIM doesn't do any vetting at all.

I think unless the title of the app has a offensive word in it you can put up whatever you like.
    IOS also seems to be like this, even though I believe they have to approve the source code although I don't know this for sure as I am not a developer.
    12-01-12 01:39 PM
    Good to see they are adding additional monitoring to dodgy apps via Trend Micro. Hopefully nothing has slipped through in the mean time.
    02-05-13 09:33 AM
    No app can access any information other than what you directly enter into the app, or have in files on your PB (which is obviously rather insecure in the first place; why would you have sensitive data sitting unencrypted on a device that could potentially be stolen from you?). They can't access information stored securely by other apps or anything like that.

On top of this, each app is limited to what it can affect. For example, on an Android device an app can access certain files and folders on your device (much more so if you're rooted, but still true if not), which it can then use to stop your device working. This is not the case on the PB. Every app is well locked down and unable to access, let alone modify, most/all important files, even within the Android player.

Suffice to say that there is no reason to worry about any app you may install. Look at the permissions, if it's asking for anything strange (e.g. access to files or GPS location for a calculator app which clearly needs neither), deny it that permission and consider not installing the app at all. Beyond that, all you need to be careful of is not entering sensitive details into an app unless you are certain of it's origins and trustworthiness. (For example, don't enter credit card details into some random app you just happened across in App World). This is basically the same as not entering such details into dodgy websites - common sense, in my opinion.

Having said all this, there seems to be reasonably little vetting goes on of apps. There are always dozens of rubbish spam apps cluttering the "New Releases" section of App World; pathetic apps where someone has just packaged up some vaguely popular blog or website as an app and is charging money for it, even though a better experience could probably be had by simply going to the page in the browser. Most aren't malicious, but the quality is appalling and makes App World look like something of a joke, to be honest. It's almost like a throwback to the days of J2ME apps on phones and the frankly terrible "app stores" of those days (e.g. getjar)
    02-05-13 10:10 AM
    Coming from iTunes, Blackberry world seems very poor. No dates on when the reviews were left or what version for, no details of the permissions the apps need before you download it, not being able to sort by free apps only and lots of apps not even having screenshots. Add this into the fact that all the apps are more expensive it will be difficult to convince somebody from IOS and Android that Blackberry world is on par with their app stores.It doesnt matter how many apps you have if you cant find the good ones easily. I cant really see why Blackberry dont change these things as they are very obvious.
    02-06-13 09:24 AM
    Several less than glowing but still relevant and fair reviews of apps I have done have never appeared. Funny that.
    02-06-13 11:09 AM