i was going to post a video but, i guess it would be better if you tried it for yourself. right now, my wifi is off and im not tethered. i am bridged though. thats the key. im posting this from my playbook with no wifi, no tethering, and through the REGULAR browser, NOT the bridge browser. i thought something was wrong (but good for me!) and then tried it on my wife's pb and i had action. i disconnected her bridge and got an error when i opened the browser again. i bridged again and had action! so, if youre BRIDGED, you CAN use the REGULAR browser WITHOUT tethering (and not incur tethering charges?) and NOT have to use the bridge browser.

here's the kicker (for me, at least): i have a 9800 on tmo, so you know im on the EDGE network. this new connection is WAY faster than when im tethered. when im tethered, my 9800 shows 'modem mode enabled' and my playbook internet is slow. most likely because it's using the SAME DATA (EDGE/2g) that my 9800 is receiving from tmo. this is wifi like speed im have here...

check it out for yourselves. make sure youre bridged, turn off wifi, do NOT tether, and open the REGULAR browser.

BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK = da S**T! (even more so now)
    08-27-11 12:00 PM
    i think this topic has been discussed since the os update........
    08-27-11 12:05 PM
    Yes, the PlayBook is full of surprises. More coming.
    08-27-11 12:11 PM
    This was made available with the last OS upgrade.
    08-27-11 12:11 PM

check it out for yourselves. make sure youre bridged, turn off wifi, do NOT tether, and open the REGULAR browser.

BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK = da S**T! (even more so now)
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...g-apps-642290/
    08-27-11 12:12 PM
    Not a frequent CrackBerry visitor ehh? Enjoy, apparently theres more goodies to come in 2.0 (rumor w/ pics) but who knows when that will be released to us.
    08-27-11 01:57 PM
    Anytime you think you found something new, check the website. it's probably been found already.
    togardergrosse likes this.
    08-27-11 01:59 PM
    Sweeeeeeeeet
    08-27-11 02:04 PM
    using the playbook's NATIVE BROWSER IS NOT USING AN APP. i dont believe i said anything about an app.
    08-27-11 02:31 PM
    Still was discussed in that thread and the other thread on the updated os. All good ..
    08-27-11 02:35 PM
    I have tried this several times... I have the latest PB download, but I am using one of the first bridge versions on my torch OTA as I am an ATT person. Browsing only works for me in the bridge browser when I am bridged. I am not getting any of these sweet benefits being described with the latest download... Any ideas?
    08-27-11 08:05 PM
    I have tried this several times... I have the latest PB download, but I am using one of the first bridge versions on my torch OTA as I am an ATT person. Browsing only works for me in the bridge browser when I am bridged. I am not getting any of these sweet benefits being described with the latest download... Any ideas?
    You need to have to latest version of bridge as well. Its in the sticky at the top of this forum. I have att too. As long as you don't download from app world you will be fine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    cadoll likes this.
    08-27-11 09:03 PM
    You need to have to latest version of bridge as well. Its in the sticky at the top of this forum. I have att too. As long as you don't download from app world you will be fine.

I actually have the last bridge release, not the latest one, and everything seems to be working fine for me. I was at work when I originally saw the thread & "bridged up" to see what would happen, everything launched (weather, browser, Crackberry app, etc.) so I'm not seeing a big need to update to the latest bridge unless there's a real need to. Figured being with AT&T if my bridge is working I'm not going to mess with it & of course it's the OTA one from here.
    08-28-11 03:22 PM
    App = application, the browser is an application no matter how its sliced up, but then, there are native apps and third party apps, the browser is a native app, still, an app -> application. Internet explorer is also an application (app). Abbreviations people... abbreviations...
    Last edited by gbsn; 08-28-11 at 05:24 PM.
    08-28-11 05:22 PM
    I attempted to play this afternoon to see what "connection" my pb was using for the regular browser. While I had turned off the wifi on the pb, I could see my dsl modem was busy and I don't think other devices were using it. I was not sure.

Now I may have screwed something up which would not be impossible. But I futzed with the mac filter on my router and removed the pb from the filter. I could NOT use the regular browser - I got an error "page not found" or similar. I also turned wifi off on my 9650 to make sure it did not use wifi and feed it to the pb.

So I'm not sure what my result demonstrate or not.
    08-28-11 09:41 PM
    The thread has been cleaned of the foolish arguing. Cut it out folks. If you've got nothing useful to add about the topic, just move along.
    bbeezy likes this.
    08-29-11 04:14 AM
    I attempted to play this afternoon to see what "connection" my pb was using for the regular browser. While I had turned off the wifi on the pb, I could see my dsl modem was busy and I don't think other devices were using it. I was not sure.

Now I may have screwed something up which would not be impossible. But I futzed with the mac filter on my router and removed the pb from the filter. I could NOT use the regular browser - I got an error "page not found" or similar. I also turned wifi off on my 9650 to make sure it did not use wifi and feed it to the pb.

So I'm not sure what my result demonstrate or not.
    You can just use http://whatismyip.com to see what connection it is using.

When on wifi only [it will show your dsl/cable IP, match against your PC]
    Next turn off wifi and bridge.
    - Check the IP in bridge browser [it will show your BES/Company IP]
    - Check the IP in regular browser (when bridged) [it will show BIS IP]

FF22 likes this.
    08-29-11 08:08 PM
    I will check it out.
    08-29-11 09:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD