Okay, just want to see if anyone here has experienced this. I'm stuck at a hotel with work that has less than stellar wi-fi.

Under 1.08, I would tap the wi-fi icon, select the hotspot, wait, then the wi-fi icon would go grey with one green bar. I would then open a browser and pick a website, which would bring up the "Accept Terms and Conditions" website of the hotel. Click it, go through a few more pages, then finally be on the internet for a good 7 minutes before it dropped the signal (as a comparison, my netbook in the same spot has a rock-solid connection to the same Wi-Fi network).

Under 2.0, I tap the wi-fi icon, select the hotspot, then when it's connected things get new. The wi-fi icon becomes solid white with a red star. Taping it shows it's connected to the hotspot, but now next to the network name is a [Login] button. Tapping that brings up a Blackberry website that claims the Playbook is now logged into the hotspot. After this action, the icon remains white and continues to have the [Login] button. The connection seems to work (logged in) for the browser but seems even flakier than ever. I cannot seem to bring up the normal webpage login pages.

Has anyone else seen this? Should I trust the [login] button to properly accept the terms and conditions and log me in? If this works, it would be sweet but it never seems to truly cycle from login mode to connected mode (at least as far as the icon is concerned).
    02-22-12 10:01 AM
    We have had a similar issue with our Corporate gateway. We have found that simply turning off your bluetooth connection while connecting to the hotspot works. You can turn bluetooth back on after you have connected. Hopefully this is a bug that RIM will correct in the next update.
    cletis, Superfly_FR and Zirak like this.
    02-22-12 10:14 AM
    Look at that, seems turning off the bluetooth did the trick. Thanks for the tip. Seems to have made the wi-fi connection a bit more solid too.
    coverk likes this.
    02-22-12 10:40 AM
    Had this issue too, and yes fixed it with disabling bluetooth. Is this due to the bridge ? Not sure if the OP also has this running in proximity to the handset ?
    I also have a corporate gateway too...
    coverk likes this.
    02-23-12 02:31 AM
    Yes just had the same issue in a hotel whilst roaming and thought this side effect is worth mentioning. The problem is defnitely because of the bridge - I got the Blackberry message saying I'm logged on, assumed I was logged on to the hotel wifi and downloaded a newspaper - then got a text on my phone saying I've just used 25MB of data at 85p per MB (21.25!). Clearly the hotspot login thinks it's connected because the bridge is connected so you don't get the redirect. Switching off the bridge indeed fixed the problem and sent me to the redirect so i could log on properly to the hotel wifi. Quite an expensive mistake (and glitch on the part of RIM).
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    02-27-12 04:59 PM
    The Playbook is having some trouble letting go of the bridge and switching over to WiFi. But only on Hotspot or public WiFi. For now turning off the bluetooth forces the Playbook to switch over. After it connects you can turn bluetooth back on and it will stay connected to the WiFi. A good way to tell if you are connected and using WiFi is if the icon is green.
    Last edited by Hgouck; 02-27-12 at 05:19 PM.
    02-27-12 05:15 PM
    Yes, turning off bluetooth, making the wifi connection, agree to hotspot terms, then once it shows a green wifi indicator, turn bluetooth back on and everything should be good to go. I have found that it holds the hotspot wifi much longer in comparison to 1.8. Of course, i didnt have to turn BT off with 1.8. Improvement or lateral progress? You be the judge.
    02-27-12 06:18 PM
    I have a similar issue when connecting to the Guest wireless at the college i work for it could be related to my BB9930 being connected to the same network, i have logged on to that same guest wireless on the phone. maybe the PB is detecting the connection via bridge and authenticating without having to log in again. That might not make sense but that is my conclusion on this issue.
    03-01-12 10:20 AM
    It was driving me MAD... It would work one day and not the next... I never associated it with the Bluetooth being on or off...
    03-01-12 12:38 PM
    Turning off bluetooth only works for me as long as I keep it off. As soon as I turn it back on so that I can get my email via Bridge (because of course I cannot get BES email in the new native Messages), I get bumped off the wifi.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    03-01-12 04:06 PM
    Turning off bluetooth only works for me as long as I keep it off. As soon as I turn it back on so that I can get my email via Bridge (because of course I cannot get BES email in the new native Messages), I get bumped off the wifi.
    That is exactly what happens for me as well. RIM should get on this glitch and fix it quickly... cuz the way it is working now, a lot of people are burning thru data on their mobile phone plans while they "think" they are using free wifi. You respond yes to connect to the hotspot then the PB changes itself back to the Bridge without telling you that??? Whoever wrote this bit of code should be fired. It is the opposite of easy-to-use, the opposite of user-friendly... it is like to the bad ole days of os4 when everything was way too complicated for us average folks.
    03-03-12 10:32 AM
    In this configuration, I'll hang to the wifi using my BB phone (eventually stop the cellular service) and browse on my PB using bridge.
    Two main adantages :
    1/ I can move around my phone to gain the best wifi signal
    2/ I'm 100% not being billed
    One word severe disadvantage:
    Speed.
    03-03-12 10:46 AM
    Superfly, you have hit the nail on the head. It is quite ridiculous that the PB wifi works this way. No way should someone have to go thru those steps you described to get the PB onto free wifi AND keep the bt bridge open (in order to use other bridge features like BB remote control of the PB, Open on PB, BES messages, BBM messages, etc.) and then suffer a big hit to speed.

Come on RIM: Fix this ASAP.
    03-03-12 11:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD