So I have had my PB almost since release, waited a year for 2.0 and was underwhelmed... I have hardly used it at all. So sold my BB phone and let the tablet gather dust.

So today I give it away in mint condition and boxed as new after a complete wipe.

The partners father (birthday today) has acute dyslexia in that typing the most basic message, document or email is a chore and often avoided due to the stress. So the long overdue spell check function for email and docs made me think this would be ideal for him.

I present it to him, he is chuffed to bits and we spend 2 hours teaching him how to use it. I'm not sure I could have given it more spin as within an hour he was talking about buying a BB phone to bridge and use whilst out and about. He is a technophobe and hates this stuff usually.

So we get to email. He has used hotmail since 1998 and seemed eager to get this fired up and generally have a less painful experience in what a lot of folk take for granted.

I explain that setting up his email account will be a walk in the park...

3 hours later I'm pulling my hair out over this device (again).

I've done one more security wipe, checked his account settings in hotmail, changed his password (3 times) tried all the changes to the prefix of the server address and scoured bing and google for other tips.

Do I have to be a free-mason? Is there a on screen gesture akin to a secret handshake to get the access to Illuminati's most hidden and treasured Playbook fixes?

I'm venting, it isn't a hate thread... yes I know some of you have hotmail working, I've read the threads! But many haven't (had success) and I've read those too!

Forget other devices... I don't care for iOS or Android and happily use a Lumina. However... why would I even consider a BB product again if something so simple as this can't be fixed! It is core to the device and many users requirements. If the 'others' can get a device out that works and plays well with hotmail why can't RIM?

If a Freemason does frequent this thread and doesn't mind me not knowing the secret handshake... would you please be good enough to share this one piece of knowledge so that one user with reading/writing problems can access his email on his new shiny PB. He may end up being a RIM fan.

At the moment, it is being used as movie player in the work shed... last time I checked anyway, he seems happy but this wasn't the intended goal.

Rant over and fingers crossed.
    09-16-12 12:06 AM
    Would be helpful to know the steps you took to set it up..... Had some problem setting up Hotmail with an Iphone a couple of months ago..... Took about a week before we found the problem was actually with the carrier my friend was using and how they configured the phone.... Have 5 accounts on my Playbook and on my 9800 and never a hiccup setting it up.... and do not kid yourself... just look through a number of Apple forums and you will find many there with similar problems....

Love how end users always make it about the device.... Could never be the carrier or heaven forbid "Microsoft" ( seeing as they have been "playing with their servers for outllook.com ) SO many variables when dealing with a communication device.... But no has to be the Playbook.... odd though how the vast majority of users do not have you Hotmail issue.....

Sorry to hear all the issues you had and hope it works out for you....
    Last edited by dbmalloy; 09-16-12 at 12:56 AM.
    09-16-12 12:53 AM
    There are a number of workarounds that you can use. The easiest is probably just to sign into his account using the browser, then dump a shortcut on the desktop to his hotmail account, then move the shortcut to the favorites bar. Then he just has to tap the icon and the browser will open to his account. It may be easier for him in that he's probably already used to accessing his account though a browser.
    09-16-12 01:04 AM
    Would be helpful to know the steps you took to set it up..... Had some problem setting up Hotmail with an Iphone a couple of months ago..... Took about a week before we found the problem was actually with the carrier my friend was using and how they configured the phone.... Have 5 accounts on my Playbook and on my 9800 and never a hiccup setting it up.... and do not kid yourself... just look through a number of Apple forums and you will find many there with similar problems....

Love how end users always make it about the device.... Could never be the carrier or heaven forbid "Microsoft" ( seeing as they have been "playing with their servers for outllook.com ) SO many variables when dealing with a communication device.... But no has to be the Playbook.... odd though how the vast majority of users do not have you Hotmail issue.....

Sorry to hear all the issues you had and hope it works out for you....
    Firstly there is no carrier involved as the PB in question is a vanilla model. So that's ruled out.

Next, the wipe of the device was done via the option to security wipe within the OS. At the time of writing this, just completed 3rd attempt.

Then... what have I attempted on top of the security wipes, no duplicate folders as it wont set up to start (basic or advanced), have changed server address prefixes as already mentioned, screamed at RIM for this: This is a previously reported issue that is being investigated by our development team. No resolution time frame is currently available..

I'm close to taking the Terry Pratchett school of thought and standing on one foot, device behind my back, one eye closed and hope for the best when I hit save the hotmail settings.

Yes I blame RIM. Their KB offers no background info, a workaround that is just a run around and admits they have an issue. But more so as this device has been weak from day one, why should I blame anyone else?
    Last edited by Fmar; 09-16-12 at 01:27 AM.
    09-16-12 01:21 AM
    There are a number of workarounds that you can use. The easiest is probably just to sign into his account using the browser, then dump a shortcut on the desktop to his hotmail account, then move the shortcut to the favorites bar. Then he just has to tap the icon and the browser will open to his account. It may be easier for him in that he's probably already used to accessing his account though a browser.
    Thanks for the advice, but in all honesty it would be worse than the current situation of using his desktop.

The screen is smaller when using web version, far too finicky when trying to move the cursor about. Also it negates the added sell of not having to check mail but informing the end user that mail has arrived. I don't subscribe to this poor mans device complex of reverting to web browser workarounds to compensate for the devices failings. There should be a fully working and solid piece of software to clean up the UI and add functionality.
    09-16-12 01:27 AM
    Fmar..... If you read the link that you have in your post it tells you how to fix it.

Workaround
    Press Back, Advanced Settings, and change the Server Address from m.hotmail.com to blu-m.hotmail.com,dub-m.hotmail.com,stn-m.hotmail.com, bay-m.hotmail.com, col-m.hotmail.com or snt-m.hotmail.com

I had to use (snt-m.hotmail.com.hotmail.com), this workaround does work.

Last edited by kretch; 09-16-12 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Add
    09-16-12 01:27 AM
    Fmar..... If you read the link that you have in your post it tells you how to fix it.

Workaround
    Press Back, Advanced Settings, and change the Server Address from m.hotmail.com to blu-m.hotmail.com,dub-m.hotmail.com,stn-m.hotmail.com, bay-m.hotmail.com, col-m.hotmail.com or snt-m.hotmail.com

It does work.

Likewise if you read my original post and subsequent ones... I clearly pointed out that I changed the Server Address prefixes... and no it doesn't work!
    09-16-12 01:37 AM
    Cletis, try changin the server address. It worked for me. Log in to your hotmail account using your computer and look at the URL bar while inside your inbox

http://co121w.col121.mail.live.com

What you need are those 3 letters in bold. Memorize them, write them down, whatever.
    In the PB email account settings change m.hotmail.com to (in my case) col-m.hotmail.com.

Hope this works for you too.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...55/index2.html
    09-16-12 03:09 AM
    Thanks. Will check that out tomorrow and see if the letters are different to the listed prefix changes suggested in the KB. Finger crossed they are and I can make this work.

Again thanks.
    09-16-12 04:39 AM
    An Update:

So last night I attempted twstd.reality's suggestion. I went to enter the basic hotmail setup details to have it fail and hit back and enter advanced options with details prefilled and enter the prefix.

However... it just worked!

Sigh of relief.

Thanks for all suggestions in trying to get it sorted. As much as I'm not a happy RIM camper, someone else is now and seems to be loving it.
    09-17-12 05:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD