Took my PBK to work today - it was about 80%charged. Went to grab it from my briefcase and felt it very hot right through the neoprene sleeve that it was in. The battery was at 1%. I've recharged it with the wall charger and it went back 100% after a few hours.

Should I be worried about a fire or is this battery going to die on me? Thanks for your help in advance
    03-26-13 10:16 PM
    Hello. I.T. Department. Have you tried turning it off and on again? Ok I'm kidding. Seriously though. How old is the Playbook? How long was it sitting in your briefcase? Were any apps mysteriously open before you shut it down? WiFi connected at office?

Side note: See if it happens again. Try and recreate the incident. Electrical interference could do wonders pressing the screen millions of times to kill the battery. Just guesses. Anyone had similar issue before?
    muzeek likes this.
    03-26-13 10:37 PM
    Heat is generated with the PB operating even with the screen off. Obviously. If you wrap the PB in insulation the temperature will rise quite a bit. At some point the PB should shut off completely hopefully before anything bad happens. Best practise is to put it in standby in airplane mode and check with Battery Guru to be sure that power use is quite low or just shut it down and endure the three minute wait when you reboot.

A similar experience was reported in an earlier thread and many people have reported rapid battery drain in standby. I suppose it is possible as suggested above that the PB on button was somehow depressed in your briefcase.
    muzeek likes this.
    03-27-13 02:03 AM
    This happens to me when I use the YouTube app on full brightness and with backlight dimming off. The battery doesn't usually drain fast though.
    03-27-13 02:49 AM
    An example was the problem with the then new Native Email app. If it were set to Manual Sync, the pb would apparently continually check for email (or do something), spinning its wheels as it were, creating a lot of heat and depleting the battery quickly. Now, close the pb inside a neoprene case and/or other layers that could trap the heat and it would really get hot.
    03-27-13 09:20 AM
    This has happened to me before. I shut the playbook down and it must of froze whilst turning off. The back light stayed on and the playbook got ridiculously hot. It has killed the battery before now and the playbook took 30 mins charge to turn back on..

Posted via CB10
    03-27-13 03:39 PM
    Last time I experienced this, I had an app running. I believe it was a clock app, PB was burning hot with 10% battery life left. Do you recall having an app or program running in the background?
    03-27-13 05:16 PM
    This has happened to me before. I shut the playbook down and it must of froze whilst turning off. The back light stayed on and the playbook got ridiculously hot. It has killed the battery before now and the playbook took 30 mins charge to turn back on..

Posted via CB10
    That's an interesting one. That's kinda scary because you can't really do anything about it but let it drain and monitor temps. Wow. Glad that hasn't happened here. I did recall once draining the battery down. I think I had left it in its case one night in my car for a long period of time after a whole day of using it and when I went to grab it the battery was at 3% and I do remember it being warmer than usual. But, I think it had wifi on with like 20% screen brightness. Mind you that was close to the time I had dust on my case cover causing static buildup on my screen when closed and it prevented the PB from going to standby. All good possibilities for OP to consider.
    03-27-13 06:08 PM
    Usually, if the pb freezes in some odd state and becomes non-responsive, and the power button does not turn it off - you can PRESS and HOLD the Power Button for 15-20 seconds and it will force a reboot/restart. BUT it is not instantaeous. It will go black for a while and then the red led will light up and it will reboot. If that 15-20 press does not work, you can try the 3-button finger twisting move - press and hold the Power Button, and while doing so, press both the VolUP and VolDown buttons. (some suggest you only need the VolUp???)
    03-27-13 07:55 PM
    Last time I experienced this, I had an app running. I believe it was a clock app, PB was burning hot with 10% battery life left. Do you recall having an app or program running in the background?
    I'd say this is the most likely reason.

I used to play games and I didn't want to close the app and lose my progress, so I'd leave it open and running, but then put the playbook into standby.
    Apparently, the app still runs in the background and hence it is draining the battery as if the app is still running.
    So make sure you close any games or other apps that might be draining the battery. (Native apps such as the browser, messages, BB world, etc don't drain the battery while in standby) It's mostly games that I've found to drain it.
    03-28-13 05:31 PM
    A good way to check if the heat is from the CPU or batteries is to feel the back and note if the PB is warmer in the centre or the sides. If it is warmer in the centre, it indicates an app or process was running and placing a high demand on the CPU. This will definitely drain the batteries within a couple of hours. If the sides are warmer, it indicates the batteries were being discharged unusually and the might have been a short.

When I move around with the PB in a pocket, it makes more sense to go to airplane mode or even turn the PB off because I have experienced "pocket" activity and an oddly behaving unit when I next went to use it.
    03-28-13 09:06 PM
    There is also a possibility that there is a UFO passed over to you - without you, noticing it but your PlayBook reacts on its interference...

I've seen it the re-run show of "The Close Encounters of the Third Kind"...

Posted via Z10
    03-28-13 10:24 PM
    I downloaded an App last week (Tablet TV HD Pro). Next thing my screen was very hot. I wasn't using the new App. I deleted it and it cooled off within a few minutes. Been fine since. Interesting, I hadn't even used the App. So I think something you downloaded could have caused the trouble.
    03-29-13 09:04 AM
    I've always used the same sleeve and never problems before. I did notice that a small credit card sleeve with metal corners was inside the sleeve, separated by a thin layer of Styrofoam. I've tried to keep it out of the sleeve and perhaps it was the problem.

Also had to delete an app that would not fully turn off. Maybe it also was the culprit.
    Last edited by muzeek; 04-12-13 at 01:12 PM. Reason: More info added
    04-12-13 01:10 PM
    That's an interesting one. That's kinda scary because you can't really do anything about it but let it drain and monitor temps. Wow. Glad that hasn't happened here. I did recall once draining the battery down. I think I had left it in its case one night in my car for a long period of time after a whole day of using it and when I went to grab it the battery was at 3% and I do remember it being warmer than usual. But, I think it had wifi on with like 20% screen brightness. Mind you that was close to the time I had dust on my case cover causing static buildup on my screen when closed and it prevented the PB from going to standby. All good possibilities for OP to consider.
    Fortunately you can bypass this is it happens. You have to hard reset the playbook. Holding power, volume up and volume down buttons for a few seconds resets the whole playbook.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 01:02 PM