Just noticed some interesting things that I don't see anyone else has asked about yet. For those that have found the file:// feature in the browser, has anyone else browsed around, saved any of the files out, then gone to their downloads folder via browsing to from a computer, then opening them as text files in notepad++ or something similar?

I found a file named hosts. The contents are as follows:

# Host Database
    127.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    ::1 localhost.localdomain localhost

Looks similar to the one in windows. It sure would be nice if we could edit this file. I like to use the hosts file from here: Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File

It helps to keep spyware down and minimizes ads.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
    05-17-11 05:11 PM
    This pretty much sums it up:
    ambarmetta and KarenBrent like this.
    05-17-11 06:55 PM
    Thanks! I never thought of trying to use putty to access it. Of course they have it pretty tight obviously, but it does make me wonder if there might be some root level stuff we can play with in the future. Not that I want to break anything, but I do like to customize things.

Guess I'll just keep enjoying it like it is for now.
    05-18-11 12:19 AM
    As tight as BB security is, it has to be possible to hack this thing. Even if it does read the signature before the bootloader starts, someones got the keys to this thing

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-11 09:46 AM
    Can you execute the 'ls -l' and 'df -h' commands from within the shell? How did you connect to the BlackBerry PlayBook? I tried the usual ssh -l devuser IP_ADDRESS_OF_PLAYBOOK but no success.
    07-22-11 05:41 AM
    Click to view quoted image
    I come back to this very old discussion, partly because I now just ordered a PB, partly because I read a lot about rooting the device...
    Shao128, do you think a root accound would have write access, or does the mention "read-only system" means, well, that even a root cannot write?

--edit: indeed it seems true, at least, that's what the dev of Dingleberry says: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...82/index2.html
    Last edited by Herve5; 06-27-12 at 02:29 AM.
    06-27-12 02:16 AM