They are both 7". They both have a responsive touch screen. The Galaxy has a plethora of apps and a micro SD slot. They PB won't be out until (maybe) March. Should I jump on the Tab today or hold off?
    01-25-11 03:06 PM
    If you want the Galaxy tab, don't get it, get the Xoom instead, OR go for the Playbook.
    01-25-11 03:08 PM
    They are both 7". They both have a responsive touch screen. The Galaxy has a plethora of apps and a micro SD slot. They PB won't be out until (maybe) March. Should I jump on the Tab today or hold off?
    being how the Tab has been out for a long time and it isn't going to be updated to Android 2.2 or 2.3, i don't remember, i'd wait for the PB....or another tablet. I just have looked at what is available and what will be coming soon and think the PB is what will be the most productive and well, cool.
    01-25-11 03:09 PM
    being how the Tab has been out for a long time and it isn't going to be updated to Android 2.2 or 2.3, i don't remember, i'd wait for the PB....or another tablet. I just have looked at what is available and what will be coming soon and think the PB is what will be the most productive and well, cool.
    All good points. I definitely want 7" so I'll just have to be patient! Now I'm hearing March 15 release. Hopefully i can pre order from Amazon or somesuch had have it on release day.
    01-25-11 03:17 PM
    The darker the Berry the sweeter the juice. The PlayBook is a BlackBerry, hence a darker Berry. It's much sweeter than what the Galaxy has to offer. The Xoom well get any Android powered phone with zoom function and you have experienced the Xoom.
    01-25-11 03:18 PM
    I think I read that the Galaxy Tab won't be getting HoneyComb officially, XDA will probably port it though.

I will say at this point in the game I'd wait for another 7" android device or see if the PlayBook suits your needs.
    01-25-11 03:19 PM
    All good points. Hopefully i can pre order from Amazon or somesuch had have it on release day.
    me too, i love amazon and this is going to be the first thing i ever pre-order
    01-25-11 03:22 PM
    The darker the Berry the sweeter the juice. The PlayBook is a BlackBerry, hence a darker Berry. It's much sweeter than what the Galaxy has to offer. The Xoom well get any Android powered phone with zoom function and you have experienced the Xoom.
    all good points! i like sweet juice. will stay close to the Berry!
    01-25-11 03:28 PM
    all good points! i like sweet juice. will stay close to the Berry!
    Don't do it, check all of them before you spend your money. Just because it is a RIM product does not make it better................It could end up being a big mistake.
    Last edited by grncherry1; 01-25-11 at 06:28 PM.
    01-25-11 06:25 PM
    Don't do it, check all of them before you spend your money. Just because it is a RIM product does not make it better................It could end up being a big mistake.
    yes, but all of what? I want 7" Xoom is 10" like the iPad, correct? Who else is making a 7" tablet?
    01-25-11 09:44 PM
    yes, but all of what? I want 7" Xoom is 10" like the iPad, correct? Who else is making a 7" tablet?
    Dell Streak 7
    01-25-11 09:56 PM
    Actually, a lot of manufacturers are making 7"ers (Galaxy Tab?). Xoom will be the first 10" major competitor for the iPad, iPad2. Computer manufacturers will be making all kinds of sizes. I think 10 is just too netbookish. 7 will be a defining size of a "tablet" for me.

The more I think about it, the more it seems to me this way: RIM puts out a 7" so it won't head-to-head with iPad. RIM dominates 7" market. When RIM puts out a 9 or 10, it will have already earned its name as a professional tablet. When Apple puts out a 7", they will have to compete with the PB. I realize that they are all fighting for tablet sales, but I think we'll see a defined 10" sector and 7" sector.

Asus is making a 12" that they are calling are calling a Slate. It's really just an all in one touchscreen computer. It runs Win 7, has 4GBs of RAM and comes with a BT keyboard adn in 32 or 64 GB versions.
    Last edited by gregerator; 01-25-11 at 10:15 PM.
    01-25-11 09:56 PM
    You may want to do a little research:

Over 100 tablets were unveiled at CES 2011 – here’s a list of all of them | BGR | Boy Genius Report
    01-25-11 10:02 PM
    90% of those will never make it to market.
    01-25-11 10:31 PM
    Dell Streak 7
    Which runs on Android 2.2. What's the point in getting tablets that run on software not designed for tablets?
    01-25-11 10:40 PM
    Which runs on Android 2.2. What's the point in getting tablets that run on software not designed for tablets?
    Evolution, they are upgraded just as the BBs are. It's all software.
    01-25-11 11:49 PM
    It depends what you want in a tablet. Go into stores, try each and every tablet out, ask questions, grill the customer service reps to get every last piece of information about each tablet out, ask their recommendations, etc etc. Now I've seen a Playbook, and am completely disregarding other tablets personally, but that's because I have brand loyalty to RIM.
    01-26-11 01:08 AM
    90% of those will never make it to market.
    Just an overview of what may or may not be coming.
    01-26-11 01:15 AM
    The Galaxy Tab just got a $50 price drop, so $249 on T-mobile with a contract.

There are price drops everywhere with the Tab. Not sure if this is a bad omen for 7 in. tablets, or if this simply means that the Tab is not all that it's cracked up to be. It sucks for early Tab owners, they paid through the nose.
    01-26-11 09:19 AM
    Don't think it's an omen for 7" tablets.

More of the entry price when it was released also the US Tab had the phone deactivated. People don't want to be locked into contracts for tablets.

Not enough advertising was done although I've seen more recently but too little too late.

Most people buying tablets already have internet access so they may not know the full details of each new device but they know that iPad2,PlayBook & Xoom are on the horizon.

I saw the TMobile pricing also. I noticed the off contract price was $499. That's where it should have been at release. $50 lower wouldn't hurt.
    01-26-11 09:27 AM
    hahah you can say that again !
    its like my sig.
    oh and yes playbook is going to be a fantastic device, i try and search new info about it like 15 times a day lol....especially when im at work.......like i am right now lol
    01-26-11 10:01 AM
    Most people buying tablets already have internet access so they may not know the full details of each new device but they know that iPad2,PlayBook & Xoom are on the horizon.
    I think knowing the full details will be crucial for the PB; RIM will have to do a great job in promoting this tablet, because there is already confusion on what this tablet does for you if you don't own a Blackberry (i.e. it just becomes another Wifi-based tablet).
    01-26-11 10:33 AM
    I agree with that. I was saying that people know other tablets are coming out that's being hyped and will decide to see what they are about vs buying the Tab.

Yeah RIM does have a lot of clarifying to do if they want the avg consumer to purchase it, which I'm sure they do even though they tout it's for businesses.
    01-26-11 12:07 PM
    Right now the Playbook looks to be the best developed of the 7" tablets in my opinion. Liking what I'm seeing and will pick it up. Like the idea of tethering to my BB and all the other advantages of BB. This is one product I will stand in line to get!
    01-26-11 01:20 PM
    Don't get the tab. When you can go out and get a device that's essentially the same thing but with an OS actually designed for tablets in a month or so, and there will be several other choices at around the same time, you'd generally be a fool not to wait.
    01-30-11 02:39 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD