To say they won't have some form of tablet is daft...the PB will still be supported.
    Rather than insulting, how about coming up with some coherent arguments? I presented my reasons why I don't feel it's going to continue. You tell me yours for why it will? other than a vague "it's part of a plan" and "you're daft".
    10-24-12 11:22 AM
    It is simple, All RIM talks about is their "Mobile Computing Platform" Their tablet offerings are part of that platform.

I am not insulting I am stating the obvious from what RIM has showed the road map to be. How is that vague?
    10-24-12 11:27 AM
    The PlayBook will be alive in the summer of 2013 but it will be a different world where RIM is putting most of their efforts behind BB10 and continuing to market to third world nations. I feel we have two more upgrades before RIM let's the current PlayBook go. They will say something like we will no longer be making PlayBook but will continue to fully support it. Thats when it will be dead.
    Don't use that pejorative term, they're called developing countries. We're not in the 80s anymore.
    10-24-12 11:29 AM
    Did you see a current roadmap that you'd like to share? Perhaps forecasts to go with it?
    10-24-12 11:38 AM
    Oh boy....Let RIM just sell "Smartphones" and see how far they get.
    10-24-12 11:42 AM
    They aren't selling many tablets right now, are they? They took time, money and resources away from their successful (at the time) market - Smartphones - and wasted it on a tablet that now accounts for less than 1% of tablet sales (per the latest IDC sales figures).

I get that the tablet is "part of the ecosystem" and "the platform" but no one is buying it!
    10-24-12 11:46 AM
    Well I recently bought 7 Playbooks for my family members....my bad for doing so....they are all going to recycling right now.

It ceases to amaze me how negative poeple are on this forum.....the sky is falling...LOL

Have a super day in all.
    LoganSix, Herve5 and tresvn like this.
    10-24-12 11:52 AM
    How come all these armchair ceo's who post on this forum don't run companies since they all think they know why rim failed. If you know why they failed, how come you aren't working for them? Oh right....

Jessica
    It doesn't take a genius to point out the company's shortcomings over the past 3 or 4 years.
    thewison likes this.
    10-24-12 12:00 PM
    it doesn't take a genius to point out their failings in hindsight.

on the other hand, would love to hear more about the 19 billion dollar companies that various forum users built, like Mike and Jim did. your resumes must really rock! :-)
    10-24-12 12:13 PM
    Mine will(have to be)!!!

Lol i have insurance and probably won't have any funds for a new tablet ^^

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    10-24-12 12:13 PM
    it doesn't take a genius to point out their failings in hindsight.

on the other hand, would love to hear more about the 19 billion dollar companies that various forum users built, like Mike and Jim did. your resumes must really rock! :-)
    Releasing a tablet in a heavily competitive market without native app functions is doomed for failure. That's not hindsight, it's common sense.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-24-12 12:23 PM
    I will just say: as soon as mine is there

I can see here in Switzerland the main electronic shops did not have it on shelves from the beginning...
    10-24-12 12:27 PM
    I can speak only for myself, but I heard of the PlayBook before I bought one... and I just bought it last year (I had to buy it through BlackBerry because Best Buy and Amazon were sold out at the time due to the sales).

I think PlayBook will still be alive in the summer of 2013. Between the BB10 phones and the 10in tablets that will be released, PB will be even more popular because of the price tag, BB10, and the form factor. The hardware is still good! Specs are now for marketing purposes, not for any great gains (ie grams lighter, not pounds, seconds faster, not minutes, have 10 windows open at once not 9, a few more pixels to an already HD screen, etc).

If BB10 makes a big splash it will help the 10in tablet line which in turn will help the PlayBook now. The hardware was never a failure, the failure was lack of Mail/Contacts/Calendar with the original price tag and RIM's lack of marketing. If BB10 is everything it looks to be then PB will be alive through a cause and effect series.

This part is *all speculation*, but I like to speculate. Apple is starting its decline with this iPad mini and iPad 4 announcement (that isn't speculation), but will remain a strong #1. Google will gain some share of the the pie from Apple but still stay as #2. Microsoft will be #3 from the gate with the Surface tablet. BB10 will come out and if done right RIM should be able to leapfrog the new-to-the-game Microsoft and take some of Google's users. They will still be #3 but a bigger #3 than Microsoft. Google is so fragmented that by the summer of 2014 (not as soon as 2013) they could either be #1 followed by Apple or #3 with RIM slightly ahead of them. Apple will lose ground, but they brainwashed enough through their marketing that they should still have the edge for a while.
    10-24-12 12:39 PM
    Baa Baa mine will still be alive if RIM is. Baa Baa
    Mr Donut likes this.
    10-24-12 12:40 PM
    It will be easy for RIM to make another tablet and stay in the tablet game if BB10 is successful, especially in business/government. The OS will work fine on tablet or a phone and they can get economies of scale by using same internals on the phones and tablets, plus both will use the Blackberry infrastructure including BES if applicable. The biggest problem with the Playbook has been a lack of the big apps, and business apps. If these come because the BB10 phones are available and make it worth developers to develop for a new OS, then the app argument becomes a non-issue. The OS is way better than anything I've played with from the competition and BB10 looks to be a substantial improvement over even the TabletOS. So basically if BB10 phones are successful, then a RIM tablet can be successful too.
    BerryClever and Bumble2000 like this.
    10-24-12 01:11 PM
    Great forum question/discussion and while it will still exist, I think it's heavily dependent on the success of the BB10 phones. Android and iOS have grabbed the consumer market, and iOS is now widely accepted in the business market. If BB10 phones are succesful in stemming the flow in the business market, while also giving those business customers useful consumer features (apps, or perhaps a browser so powerful that apps aren't a "must"), then a tablet (this one, or PB Version 2) remain natural companions. But RIM's marketing better be as good as the BB10 product. The recent NY Times article is the example - the stigma of still carrying a BB phone, despite many who are very pleased with the capabilities of the 9900. Many very good products have died because of the lack of good marketing. If the phones don't make it, there's no growth future for the tablet.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-24-12 04:30 PM
    Releasing a tablet in a heavily competitive market without native app functions is doomed for failure. That's not hindsight, it's common sense.
    Perhaps you can tell us of your legendary product launches?
    10-24-12 04:37 PM
    Jeez, I'll be happy if I'm still alive
    kbz1960 and KiLuMaNaTi like this.
    10-24-12 05:51 PM
    Almost anybody that asks me about my PB, I take it everywhere with me, have not heard of the PB. They know of Blackberry, but no PBs.
    10-24-12 05:53 PM
    They have always said they will put BB10 on the PB after the phones are up and running and released. I have never really doubted it either. I think it would be a diaster to NOT put bb10 on the PB. BUT i also have to think that the new phones are much better spec wise and have an entirely different chipset than the original PB. In the end they might get BB10 on the PB but it might not be complete the same way iOS 6 can be installed on previous iOS devices but doesnt have all the features.

I hope they dont do this but the reality is the hardware in the PB is already 2 years old and the experience might just suffer if its full BB10. They also will certainly be looking to get a new updated tablet with new hardware to compete with the tablets releashed between now and next spring. Will it be alive? Yes it will. How alive will be the question
    sputneek likes this.
    10-24-12 06:12 PM
    I think it depends on how well bb10 does after launch and how soon rim puts bb10 onto the pb.. if they take too many months to put bb10 onto the pb after it is released, people will loose patience.. ota update to the pb on the same day bb10 is released can spike pb sales big time...

http://srimanapps.wordpress.com
    10-24-12 06:29 PM
    It is simple, All RIM talks about is their "Mobile Computing Platform" Their tablet offerings are part of that platform.

I am not insulting I am stating the obvious from what RIM has showed the road map to be. How is that vague?
    And yet, at their most recent developers conference, the Playbook wasn't even mentioned, let alone acknowledged, by Thorsten and others on stage. Granted, their focus is on the release of BB10 and the upcoming phones, but if the Playbook, or at least a future reiteration, truly is in RIM's grandiose "Mobile Computer Platform" plan; one would think that the device would have at least been mentioned once.
    10-24-12 06:32 PM
    Probably not. And its not because new hardware with BB10 would not sell better. Its because I think they are in survival mode and not working on getting a new playbook out. Saving cash, and time by working only on BB10 phones is my bet. If BB10 hits pretty big I think we could see a new tablet from RIM in Fall of 2013. My opinion.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-24-12 06:46 PM
    I hope they dont do this but the reality is the hardware in the PB is already 2 years old and the experience might just suffer if its full BB10.
    Yep. New OS on older hardware usually blows.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-24-12 06:54 PM
    Well, my take on the subject is that RIM needs to come up with another tablet. I think there has been a time where RIM really lacked any direction, and called it Playbook. I say that because it seems that they were trying to shed their "only for business people" image and named it playbook to attract young generation. Lack of apps such as skype and netflix broke their back in that regard. Mostly what I use it is for work, sheets, pdf, maps on the go, the size is perfect for me. BUT, that is the past.
    In future, I think RIM needs to be able to compete with MS. Yes, I do think that iEverthing years are numbered. They are pretty much in the same hole that RIM has been in for past few years. Only advantage is apps, but if RIM keeps a tight lock on rooting, devs will flock here. I think At the moment I would choose MS surface over any other tablet, just because of its writing ability. They have two digitizer things in it, when you bring pen closer the touch gets disabled.
    Now, by the time I go back to school next year, if RIM has a tablet with similar feature and has MS OneNote kina app, I would definitely give up surface and keep RIM's "workbook". Before that, I will keep enjoying my playbook until I get Surface. Then I will see where playbook fits in my life. I am thinking, exclusively for work...
    10-24-12 07:05 PM
115 1234 ...