RIMM is correctly focused on BB10. It uses Playbook with BB10 development. Why give up Playbook. Tablets are taking more marketshare. Why give up and abandon Playbook? Soon Playbook can be included in BB10 advertising.

My two Playbooks look forward to BB10.
    10-24-12 07:14 PM
    They aren't selling many tablets right now, are they? They took time, money and resources away from their successful (at the time) market - Smartphones - and wasted it on a tablet that now accounts for less than 1% of tablet sales (per the latest IDC sales figures).

I get that the tablet is "part of the ecosystem" and "the platform" but no one is buying it!
    I keep reading that "No one is buying it".
    There are 20 people in my office. Out of these 20 there are 7 that own Playbooks. Two of which have 2 Playbooks. 9 Playbooks total out of 20 people.
    Out of those same 20 people 1 owns an iPad, none have Android devices.
    I know this isn't the average for most areas but still impressive for a small sample. Most of these people own Playbooks because of the low price.

I think the Playbook will be around for a while if RIM doesn't fall into a deeper sleep than they've been in for the last year.
    10-24-12 07:19 PM
    It will be easy for RIM to make another tablet and stay in the tablet game if BB10 is successful, especially in business/government. The OS will work fine on tablet or a phone and they can get economies of scale by using same internals on the phones and tablets, plus both will use the Blackberry infrastructure including BES if applicable. The biggest problem with the Playbook has been a lack of the big apps, and business apps. If these come because the BB10 phones are available and make it worth developers to develop for a new OS, then the app argument becomes a non-issue. The OS is way better than anything I've played with from the competition and BB10 looks to be a substantial improvement over even the TabletOS. So basically if BB10 phones are successful, then a RIM tablet can be successful too.
    I agree with Inichols assessment and I think it is a key insight. If BB10 is successful on the phone, the PlayBook will also succeed because of the economies of scale that will attract the big apps that has been the achilles heel of the PlayBook (albeit a situation that is improving). Having a common OS for phones and tablets is a huge technical advantage that iOS and Android OS have had and, I think, a key reason for the success of their app ecosystem. With BB10, RIM is back on the same level playing field from an economies of scale perspective. If you level that playing field, you'll find that from a development standpoint the BB10 platform may have an advantage in terms of appeal to a wider development community as there are more programming models to develop apps in BB10 than iOS and Android (ie. JavaScript developers with the WebWorks SDK, Flash developers with the AIR SDK, C/C++ developers with the Cascades and Native SDK.)
    10-24-12 07:20 PM
    To be honest I think it's already dead, it's not like RIM is making a profit off of all of these Playbooks sold at $150. I see the release of BB10 on the device as more of a thank you to the early adopters who stuck with it than to future customers. Maybe if it becomes a big success they can try their hand again at the tablet market.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    10-24-12 07:39 PM
    Bb10 on this one, then blackforest
    esk369 likes this.
    10-24-12 07:45 PM
    I keep reading that "No one is buying it".
    There are 20 people in my office. Out of these 20 there are 7 that own Playbooks. Two of which have 2 Playbooks. 9 Playbooks total out of 20 people.
    Out of those same 20 people 1 owns an iPad, none have Android devices.
    I know this isn't the average for most areas but still impressive for a small sample. Most of these people own Playbooks because of the low price.

I think the Playbook will be around for a while if RIM doesn't fall into a deeper sleep than they've been in for the last year.
    Small samples are pointless, that's why you never see them used in any serious work. If I sampled 20 of my friends, I could say that the iPhone had 90% of the market. It's just not sensible to try and base broad adoption off a handful of people you know.

Back on topic, I don't necessarily see the current iteration of the PB in heavy use, but a new model built with BB10 could very well be, At the current rate though, I'd expect it to be the #4 tablet, unless RIM can really get the name out and put it in people's minds.
    10-24-12 07:56 PM
    Like many above have said. Its all bb10 dependent. If bb10 flies, we may see another tablet.

So if bb10 is a success in 2013 and is enabled for pb in 2013, then RIM could further their "mobile computing" strategy with a relaunched tablet in 2014.

The reason I say 2014 is that RIM have shown that they lack the ability to react as quickly to market demands as their competitors do.

Another big question mark is whether there is enough margin wiggle room left in the tablet market for anyone to make a reasonable profit.

Amazon and Google have trashed tablet prices to fit their own agendas, which do not include hardware profits. So Apple is the only tablet supplier making a viable profit in this market.

Their is a glimmer of hope in the tablet margin wars. That would be if 3/4G, LTE tablets reach an attractive monthtly price point from the carriers. In that scenario the tablet price would morph into a monthly carrier bill which would include the price of the hardware, just as cell phones do today. In this model the IOS, Android, RIM monthly payments would be similar enough to get the buy decision away from price and back to features, function. benefit and get the tablet market back to a more even playing field and to RIMs benefit. Plus this model is totally what the carriers desire in this rapidly growing market.
    10-24-12 08:05 PM
    T
    the reality is the hardware in the PB is already 2 years old and the experience might just suffer if its full BB10. They also will certainly be looking to get a new updated tablet with new hardware to compete with the tablets releashed between now and next spring.
    It's April 2013 already? They *did* release updated hardware ... my PlayBook doesn't have 1.5 ghz processors or LTE. My friend's PlayBook does. :-)
    10-24-12 08:36 PM
    Rather than insulting, how about coming up with some coherent arguments? I presented my reasons why I don't feel it's going to continue. You tell me yours for why it will? other than a vague "it's part of a plan" and "you're daft".
    This insults you because if it does cb might not be the place for you just sayin.
    Daft been called a lot worse then that.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    10-24-12 09:00 PM
    Oh boy....Let RIM just sell "Smartphones" and see how far they get.
    That has to be one of the smartest thing's I've ever heard anyone say about anything ever
    10-24-12 09:04 PM
    Just my 2 bits I dont see it not being around next summer if the question was summer of 14 then I might have to give it a little more thought.
    It will be here.
    10-24-12 09:07 PM
    I would guess most of the current playbooks in circulation will be thriving during the summer of 2013 and that RIM will have begun the long arduous process of sneek peeks, rumors, concept pictures, and general over all excitement over nothing (the all new PlayBook) next summer.

Nothing = Product that isn't ready for the market yet, not that I believe it won't be a cool tablet.

Its ok though, I have been on a BlackBerry since 08' and I'm used to the longish rollouts.

AT&T??? Well, that's another story and isn't really a Blackberry problem.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-24-12 09:27 PM
    This all reminds me of the Nokia "the smartphone beta test is over commercials". Maybe we are just the BB10 beta test.
    10-24-12 09:50 PM
    haha NO one has heard of Playbook we are the 9% There are 7+ billion people on this earth. Of the 9% a good margin STILL haven't heard of the Playbook
    Of those 7+ billion people a good margin haven't heard of iPad either, or fresh running water, or clean sanitation. First world consumer tech can't be compared to the entire population of the earth, you're just skewing figures there to prove a point.
    10-24-12 10:07 PM
    Of those 7+ billion people a good margin haven't heard of iPad either, or fresh running water, or clean sanitation. First world consumer tech can't be compared to the entire population of the earth, you're just skewing figures there to prove a point.
    Lol what? He's saying RIM has 9% of the market and the very few of them have even heard of the PlayBook. How is he not correct? I can't remember the last time I saw a PlayBook commercial. 80 million BB users and RIM can only sell 2 million PlayBooks at most. Trust me, many of them don't know what the PlayBook is...either that or they simply don't want it.

Sad part, I would love to see the figures on how many BB smartphones users own a PlayBook, and how many own a ipad....
    CairnsRock likes this.
    10-24-12 10:49 PM
    Lol what? He's saying RIM has 9% of the market and the very few of them have even heard of the PlayBook. How is he not correct? I can't remember the last time I saw a PlayBook commercial. 80 million BB users and RIM can only sell 2 million PlayBooks at most. Trust me, many of them don't know what the PlayBook is...either that or they simply don't want it.

Sad part, I would love to see the figures on how many BB smartphones users own a PlayBook, and how many own a ipad....
    RIM have an 80 million subscriber base which they could have direct marketed via bbm to sell playbook and bridge. A HUGE missed opportunity.
    Rello and Toodeurep like this.
    10-24-12 11:44 PM
    RIM have an 80 million subscriber base which they could have direct marketed via bbm to sell playbook and bridge. A HUGE missed opportunity.
    I very much agree. This is what people fail to realize. 80 million people RIM have that would benefit the most from buying their tablet and yet they sell 2 million at most. Either people don't want it or they don't know about it. I personally think it's a lot of both lol.

They could do awesome marketing thru bbm. Make themselves a automatic contact on everyone's bbm list and provide "status updates" letting them know of awesome deals. Just make it a feature people can opt out of and I think it would really help them. Somehow they need to utilize bbm much more than they currently do.
    Toodeurep likes this.
    10-25-12 12:11 AM
    I doubt RIM will be able to successfully bring BB10 to the Playbook given its record to date. Three of the four updates RIM has pushed to me in the past year caused significant problems with my Playbook. Since they don't deliver on incremental updates, it's unlikely they will get beyond a beta on the existing Playbooks.

More likely is that they will bring out a new tablet in 2013 that is, like the new phones, designed specifically for the new operating system. I don't think it will sell well, though. It's unnecessary. The new BB10 phones stand on their own. Depending on the success of the Galaxy Note and Note2, RIM might better create a phone with a larger screen as a better alternative to hoping people will buy and carry two devices around.

I am saddened that the new CEO is burbling around about Facebook and "all your social networks" when he ought to be cracking the whip on quality control and design. I love my Playbook but think it is a fail for RIM. Not because of lack of apps but because of design errors (the dead battery problem, the fragile micro usb plug, the inaccessible power button to name three) and problematic software (useless gps, buggy updates, wifi connectivity issues).

I don't even know if I will bother to download BB10 if it's offered. It seems geeky and gimmicky to me; I haven't seen one impressive app/function that I've got to have. It appears to be designed for people who want to brag about their new toy, not use it. I may feel differently when BB10 is released but I suspect I'll use the Playbook mainly for browsing, recording, movies, and get a smartphone for bells and whistles.
    10-25-12 12:41 AM
    Fixed that for you.
    People keep talking about marketing but how do you market a dud?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2
    10-25-12 01:25 AM
    Everyone here is a bunch of fools. The PB is DOA. Don't you remember anything?

I actually think this is a dumb question and yes I do believe dumb questions exist, I ask them everyday.

PB alive???? I'm pretty sure unless I completely destroy mine I will still be using it. I want to buy 2 more for my family before the holidays. It continues to get software upgrades and shows no signs of stopping. My TV is 3 years old and my computer is 4 years old, should I ask the same question about them? NO! its a dumb question. (I'll say to me though, OP to make some good statements, sorry OP, not trying to offend)

I have to say, the PB has been a huge success (I know, I know, they arent selling like the ipad sold by a company who historical has sold PCs and is canabalizing/creating a market). We are still talking about it a year and a half after its release. Not many other tablets can say that, not even the orginal ipad (chill apple fans, its okay, breath in......and......out...............and repeat). It pioneered the DOA category and has brought many innovations while being a breading ground for RIMs future platform.

This to me is a HUGE feat in tech and should be recognized. A product over a year and a half old on par and mostly topping all other tabs on market in specs. 3rd party software has some ground to make up but is primed to DESTROY the competition. The current base OS already demolishes the competition, unless maybe people would feel safer if their powerplants and medical equipement were running iOS or android? I'm sure a lot here would, then they could watch neftlix!!!!!
    eyhab27 likes this.
    10-25-12 04:00 AM
    People keep talking about marketing but how do you market a dud?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2
    Ask apple. They seem to have it down to a science.
    10-25-12 04:03 AM
    The Playbook wasn't relevant in 2011, nor 2012 and nor will it be in 2013, largely because almost nobody bought it.

I laugh at those threads comparing it to the iPad Mini as if people cared, as if the PB was a competing, relevant product.
    10-25-12 06:12 AM
    the playbook is imo commercially dead a long time ago. sure its still gets support by rim and several devs but thats it.
    BB10 wont change this fact, sure all pb owners get a (hopefully) better os and also new apps developed for it but it wont change that the playbook failed.

The masses wont buy more playbooks if bb10 is available for it... it is a more than two years old device with no marketing...

If bb10 will be a success we will see a new tablet from RIM i guess, because its still possible to make money in this segment and i hope RIM will still support their old device with updates but they have to start completly new with a bb10 tablet to have success, the name playbook has way to much negative press connected to it.

btw, how did the 4G playbook sell by now?
    10-25-12 07:10 AM
    If PB is DOA, then mine is probably a zombie... He he he...

Seriously speaking, I still considered it "alive" or "zombie" (if it is not "alive" but physically existing), and I believe that it will continue to "exist" depends on RIM's fulfilling commitment... or probably depends on the success of BB10... if BB10 will be successful, our PB might have chance to continue to exist and probably evolve... if BB10 failed, even "zombies" knew what will happen next...
    10-25-12 08:43 AM
    The Blackberry Playbook has a huge uphill battle ahead of it. First and foremost, BB10 must be all it has made out to be. If it isn't polished, feature complete and smooth everything else doesn't matter. Second, RIM needs to get its head out of its @#$ when it comes to marketing. I don't care if BB10 on the (expected new hardware) Playbook is the best tablet in the world, if the average Joe doesn't know about it they are not even going to look at it. Third, if RIM doesn't convince developers to create more quality apps it will have a hard time competing. Fourth, RIM must keep the price down on all models. There are just too many choices available right now. I expect Microsoft's surface to have at least one price drop before BB10 is released. If the Surface doesn't sell well it may have two price drops before the new Playbook OS is out. It will be very hard to convince people to pay more for a Playbook when there are a lot of MS tablets, Android tablets and i-pad minis available at a lower price. Microsoft can afford to drop the price of its tablets to cost or below in order to gain market share. They did the same thing with the original xbox. RIM can no longer play that game.

If everything goes just right, the Playbook can gain serious market share. I wish them the best luck...they are going to need a lot of it. One year from today Playbook could have maybe %15 market share and rising or could be dropped as a cost cutting measure.
    10-25-12 09:13 AM
115 12345