Playbook Case with Keyboard

This Case/Keyboard is freaking awesome and is a recommended buy. Perfect for portability and having a physical keyboard at the same time.

Although the bluetooth keyboard is constantly losing connectivity for some reason, can somebody suggest a fix for me at all?????

Thanks in advance.
    08-03-11 12:29 PM
    We must have differing definitions of the words, because "constantly losing connectivity" is not something I'd think of as "freaking awesome". JK, the combo does look like a nice package.

I have a Freedom Pro bluetooth keyboard which also works very well (at least awesomely) right up until it drops the bluetooth connection. Then it becomes freaking useless. But it doesn't happen too often and when it works its great. I do think the drops have become more frequent since the last OS upgrade.

RIM needs to iron out Bluetooth Connectivity. My Bridge connection (which also runs through Bluetooth) is very solid and strong. Maybe RIM has somehow prioritized the Bridge connection, or is that idea just a demonstration of my cluelessness? In addition to the keyboard drops, whenever I have my Bridge connection up, I get static on my phone Bluetooth headset. I hope these issues are resolved in a future OS update.
    08-03-11 12:38 PM
    Returned mine...was great at first but I think the BT component is flaky.

But I loved the look and the size.
    08-03-11 12:38 PM
    sorry, whats wrong with the on-screen keyboard? i swear to god i can type faster with this keyboard than i can on my pc....
    08-03-11 02:00 PM
    sorry, whats wrong with the on-screen keyboard? i swear to god i can type faster with this keyboard than i can on my pc....
    Those of us who can actually type at a reasonable speed cannot possibly type as effectively on a touch screen as we can with a physical keyboard. The term "touch typing" refers to being able to type without looking at the keyboard constantly, watching where you place your fingers. It would be impossible to do that effectively on the touch screen, so a physical keyboard that's designed properly is far superior.

That said, those chiclet-style keyboards with the keys all in neat rows and columns are not designed for touch typists anyway, so probably most of the current crop of BT keyboards are junk. I bought a nice MS 6000 semi-ergonomic BT keyboard and, while it feels great, connectivity with the PlayBook was poor and the inability to navigate easily (no auto-repeat on cursor keys, and the PB doesn't recognize home/end etc) makes it an ineffective substitute for the onscreen keyboard except for very simple use...
    08-03-11 04:38 PM
    im hoping that the BlackBerry Bluetooth keyboard becomes available soon and comes with an optional casing similiar to the one in this thread.
    08-03-11 08:52 PM
    How do you use the bezel with that thing?
    08-03-11 08:53 PM
    How do you use the bezel with that thing?
    I was wondering that too -- looks like it is completely covered by the case.
    08-03-11 08:59 PM
    The bezel is actually only partially covered by the case, and also on the top and the bottom of the case there are cutouts that do not cover the camera and the Blackberry logo so you can use those parts to swipe easier.

Also I am currently outside in a Pho Restaurant right now and this case is awesome and I find that the bluetooth disconnecting was because of lots of interference due to me living in an apartment building. It is working flawlessly outdoors in public.

I love the blackberry playbook, bridge, and this damn case I AM SO IN LOVE.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-11 09:43 PM
    I just came back from returning the HIP Street bluetooth keyboard and case. I loved the case as it left all the openings for buttons/chargers etc available when closed for charging which was great.

The keyboard well, was horrible. I would be typing for 5 seconds, then it would lose the connectivity, the screen keyboard came up, then about 30 seconds later that would freeze and then reconnect. Made typing unbearable. I should have read the reviews on websites about thsi before purchasing but problem solved with the return today.

Case is great...keyboard...HORRIBLE. Avoid purchasing.
    01-06-12 10:04 AM
    RIM has one, that's been in development forEVER!
    Serkle K likes this.
    01-06-12 10:12 AM
    Can anyone here type on the PBs touch keyboad with both hands, without looking at the keys, just like we do on a physical keyboard?

I have tried it and I failed I think the touch keyboard is for two-finger (thumbs) typing.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
    01-06-12 10:20 AM
    I just came back from returning the HIP Street bluetooth keyboard and case. I loved the case as it left all the openings for buttons/chargers etc available when closed for charging which was great.

The keyboard well, was horrible. I would be typing for 5 seconds, then it would lose the connectivity, the screen keyboard came up, then about 30 seconds later that would freeze and then reconnect. Made typing unbearable. I should have read the reviews on websites about thsi before purchasing but problem solved with the return today.

Case is great...keyboard...HORRIBLE. Avoid purchasing.
    Interesting - I've got the case and keyboard combo from Hipstreet, and I don't have any of the problems you mentioned. I think its amazing... However I'm running the beta OS and I know it has some additional bluetooth functionality, maybe that's the difference.
    01-06-12 10:23 AM
    I have a Rii mini, on 1.0.8 that works great too and even the touchpad works on it! It does not have a case though, it's JUST a BT keyboard and it's REAL small, BUT it was also fairly cheap, I think I paid around 30 bucks for it.
    01-06-12 10:27 AM
    Interesting - I've got the case and keyboard combo from Hipstreet, and I don't have any of the problems you mentioned. I think its amazing... However I'm running the beta OS and I know it has some additional bluetooth functionality, maybe that's the difference.
    That might be it, but I tried endlessly with this. Charged the keyboard fully, tried it in multiple situations and the same thing happened over and over again. It had so much promise for me as it would really suit my work environment and then nothing. I just picked up the Targus case now and will wait for RIM to finish with their BT keyboard and see.

AND with the Hipstreet screen protector I had to take that off as well because of the endless bubbles on the screen. No matter what I tried it didnt seem right. Not a big fan of Hip Street right now.
    Last edited by drmike; 01-06-12 at 10:36 AM.
    01-06-12 10:33 AM
    RIM has one, that's been in development forEVER!
    Nevermind an actual release date, is there any hint or confirmation that they are still working on it and will actually release it eventually?
    01-11-12 07:19 PM
    I just got my hip street mini keyboard and it connected just fine to my playbook but i cant get it to type on the screen

Anybody have any ideas about that? Thx
    08-25-12 04:31 PM
    BTW I tried it on the iPone and it worked great. But for some reason the virtual keyboard stays on my PlayBook's screen
    08-25-12 04:33 PM
    Just got a Skque keyboard off Amazon (Skque Black Leather Case with Bluetooth Keyboard + Screen Protector + Earphone W/mic for Blackberry Playbook Tablet). It was worth the $40. I prefer my Convertible case and activating the keyboard turns off the spell check so I have to backspace a lot. On the plus side it's a proper qwerty layout and it has working arrow keys . And it's water resistant rubber - a colleague spilled her water bottle on the table and I had to drain it from the case. Luckily the PB was on top.
    09-26-12 07:37 PM
    I love my hipstreet bluetooth keyboard, I also use a small microsoft notebook mouse with my PlayBook the combination is awesome!
    FF22 likes this.
    06-24-13 10:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD