I have been successful using some of the presets in Handbrake to convert video for the Playbook. However, the video quality is a little pixelated--watchable but not DVD quality--not even VHS quality really. It's frustrating because the sample video included with new Playbooks has a beautifully sharp picture. I realize that converting a DVD can't produce something that sharp -- but in theory I should be able to extract something that at least matches the DVD quality.

I've used the iPhone 4 presets, along with "High Profile", "iPad" and "Apple TV". They all produce the same result. I'm wondering if there is a tweak or custom settings I need to implement to get a sharper quality?

I've checked out this previous thread but it doesn't seem to address the issue, but I'm posting it here to prove I've actually made an attempt to search. Most of my Google searches on this topic simply suggest using one of the iDevice presets--but maybe I missed something.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ttings-609635/
    12-06-11 11:22 AM
    I want to recommend Noteburner. If you select the Xbox setting, you get a full HD conversion of all iTunes Movies and TV Shows. There is a new version coming out soon for iTunes 10.5. Video and Audio quality very good, no pixelation issues. It's not free, but an excellent product. If, you're looking for free, stay with Handbrake.
    barkomatic likes this.
    12-06-11 11:48 AM
    when using handbrake for conversion the appletv settings will dumb down the video a bit. click video settings after you click the apple tv preset and look. if you up the res from 960 or whatever to 1280 it will be much better. as well update presets and try the appletv2 settings they are better
    barkomatic likes this.
    12-06-11 12:02 PM
    when using handbrake for conversion the appletv settings will dumb down the video a bit. click video settings after you click the apple tv preset and look. if you up the res from 960 or whatever to 1280 it will be much better. as well update presets and try the appletv2 settings they are better
    Thanks--I will try that when I get home tonight. Is that in "picture settings"?
    12-06-11 12:06 PM
    Thanks--I will try that when I get home tonight. Is that in "picture settings"?
    sorry it took so long but yes it is. I've been very good with handbrake for years. I'm going to do some testing tomorrow and make an installable preset for low res (dvd) and hi res (720p and 1080p). i'll post them when done.
    12-19-11 08:51 PM
    I'm not really familiar with Handbrake as I use DVDFab but somewhere in the settings you need to change the bit/rate.

The hi-def sample provided with the PB has a bit rate of 9,000 kbps

Your typical DVD conversion using the iPad settings is around 1,300 kbps (1-1.5gb final file size).
    Last edited by Mallet21; 12-19-11 at 09:06 PM.
    12-19-11 09:02 PM
    OK, I just did up a very nice video using the native res of the playbook and a bit rate average of 5000. Its amazing. 5000 is enough to have it look amazing on the playbook without using up too much space. It's killer. I'll save a pre set and share after supper. I made it from a 720p .mkv file I came across. it was at an average bit rate of about 6500 but since we are changing the resolution (used 1024x416 to keep aspect perfect) I thought dropping to 5000 was ok too.

here is a link to the sample: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32425604/SAMPLE.m4v

Here is the preset, made on a mac but it should work on any system with handbrake: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32425604/PB1...6%405000.plist

And here is a preset at the same resolution but at a bit rate of only 1500, good for lower quality stuff or for when you want smaller files. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32425604/PB1...6%401500.plist

I'll post a third preset for lower res stuff in a little while, but i will do it tonight.

I started (my part of) this in a new thread, so people would know there is pre sets available to download. http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...19#post6953719
    Last edited by CanadianThomas; 12-19-11 at 11:05 PM.
    occidio and tropicalmom like this.
    12-19-11 09:30 PM
    I tried to download your Handbrake Preset, but it's not available now.
    01-06-12 03:37 AM
    With Handbrake set the compression ratio to 1:1 which definitely maintains the quality of the source video and the expense of increased file size.
    01-06-12 03:59 AM
    I thought that all you needed was VLC and Handbrake to rip a DVD to a Playbook compatible video file. Maybe I just chose a bad example, but the DVD I tried yesterday resulted in terrible blocky unsynced video. Then I did it again with AnyDVD running and Handbrake worked great.
    01-07-12 12:08 AM
    handbrake should add a playbook preset hehe
    01-07-12 01:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD