RIM has been busy acquiring QNX, DataViz, TAT, Gist, and JayCut. So far, we have seen QNX's OS put on the PlayBook and they've been hard at work with the smartphones too. There's a couple of nice TAT apps on the PlayBook (Scrapbook, Calculator) but I'm sure they can do a LOT more. Gist - hopefully we'll see something from them with OS2 and the address book that's supposed to come with that OS. JayCut - again, hope to see something from them in OS2.

It's been a while since we've seen any TAT demos. Does anyone know what's going on with TAT and how the development is going with the PlayBook? Same goes with Gist and JayCut. Any info/screenshots/videos would certainly be appreciated. I'm sure a lot of people have high hopes for these acquisitions.
    09-22-11 01:50 PM
    RIM has been busy acquiring QNX, DataViz, TAT, Gist, and JayCut. So far, we have seen QNX's OS put on the PlayBook and they've been hard at work with the smartphones too. There's a couple of nice TAT apps on the PlayBook (Scrapbook, Calculator) but I'm sure they can do a LOT more. Gist - hopefully we'll see something from them with OS2 and the address book that's supposed to come with that OS. JayCut - again, hope to see something from them in OS2.

It's been a while since we've seen any TAT demos. Does anyone know what's going on with TAT and how the development is going with the PlayBook? Same goes with Gist and JayCut. Any info/screenshots/videos would certainly be appreciated. I'm sure a lot of people have high hopes for these acquisitions.
    I think at the moment they are mostly focused on the QNX phone OS rather than 2.0. Mostly their work will come to fruition when the QNX HH's will hit the market
    09-22-11 01:56 PM
    I know there was video a while back where they said that TAT has been dedicated to code a lot of their nice GUI features (like scrolling effects etc) into the NDK. So if other developers are creating an app, they would be able to just drag/drop pre built functions to achieve same effects.

In theory it sounds great, smaller developers and every other app benefiting from TAT like UI would be a win, however, the NDK with UI is not out yet (beta NDK without UI is out).

I hope the NDK w/UI w/TAT effects built in comes out soon, so at the very least RIM can update their own Apps (music/video player etc) with TAT UI. Or just throw the current ones away and ship it with front runner (crossing fingers it is included in OS 2.0)
    FMB8900 likes this.
    09-22-11 02:07 PM
    I would bet that RIM is not even thinking about 2.0 right now or even even in the near future. Right now they are doing what they think will make them HAVE a future. The PB is kinda on the back burner till their QNX phone is delivered. This is their last hope.
    09-22-11 02:13 PM
    I think it's a little silly to suggest that a large company like RIM can't chew bubble gum and walk at the same time. I'm sure RIM is focused on developing thie QNX phones, but it doesn't mean they can't still work on the PB as well, especially if both platforms are using similar code.

As for TAT, I think they have busy getting the NDK out since a lot of their work will probably eventually carry over to the phone side. Hopefully 2.0 comes with a beefer, more premium version of Docs to Go.
    09-22-11 04:21 PM
    I think it's a little silly to suggest that a large company like RIM can't chew bubble gum and walk at the same time. I'm sure RIM is focused on developing thie QNX phones, but it doesn't mean they can't still work on the PB as well, especially if both platforms are using similar code.

As for TAT, I think they have busy getting the NDK out since a lot of their work will probably eventually carry over to the phone side. Hopefully 2.0 comes with a beefer, more premium version of Docs to Go.

There was also Tungle.me which is an online calendaring/meeting/scheduling service but IDK if it will be baked into the OS would be cool tho.

Funny tho I read above..."Hopefully 2.0 comes with beer" hahaaa maybe they should send out a case to everyone for hanging there!
    09-22-11 06:17 PM
    I think at the moment they are mostly focused on the QNX phone OS rather than 2.0. Mostly their work will come to fruition when the QNX HH's will hit the market
    The OS will be the same but a number of processes will be different. The phones will be released with the same OS2 that the PB will be upgraded to.
    09-22-11 06:33 PM
    I have zero expectations for TAT. They have been a complete disappointment so far. All hype and no substance. 1 useless crapboard app in a year. Pathetic. RIM threw money away on those people.
    yauchunh and Foreverup like this.
    09-22-11 06:51 PM
    I have zero expectations for TAT. They have been a complete disappointment so far. All hype and no substance. 1 useless crapboard app in a year. Pathetic. RIM threw money away on those people.
    Those TAT demos are SUPPOSED to be all hype and no substance.

You don't see Android using those futuristic TAT UI --- even though TAT was hired to design the Android UI.

Those TAT demos are the equivalent of concept cars in car shows --- they will never be productized.
    09-22-11 07:05 PM
    Those TAT demos are SUPPOSED to be all hype and no substance.

You don't see Android using those futuristic TAT UI --- even though TAT was hired to design the Android UI.

Those TAT demos are the equivalent of concept cars in car shows --- they will never be productized.
    Well worth the price and time then, especially while RIM is right on top of things.... surely the money would have been better spent on their own developers by avoiding layoffs considering how little tat have produced.
    Last edited by xandermac; 09-22-11 at 07:14 PM.
    09-22-11 07:11 PM
    Well worth the price and time then, especially while RIM is right on top of things....
    Well, you don't know how much they spent on buying the company --- how would you know whether they are worth the price and time then. Also TAT has to chinese wall some of their staff so that these engineers can complete their consulting/designing contracts with other handset manufacturers.

It's like how RIM getting dissed for buying Jaycut --- they bought a company that has 7 employees. Somehow that's a big deal?
    09-22-11 07:18 PM
    Maybe it'll pay off in the future but as it stands right now, 1 year later, all rim have to show for their money is a remarkably weak scrapbook app. If TAT eventually live up to the hype, great, in the mean time they're proving themselves to be a complete waste of time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-22-11 07:20 PM
    Maybe it'll pay off in the future but as it stands right now, 1 year later, all rim have to show for their money is a remarkably weak scrapbook app. If TAT eventually live up to the hype, great, in the mean time they're proving themselves to be a complete waste of time.

The scrapbook is just for PR purposes.

The real TAT usage is the very subtle 3D transition in the photo app.

That's the difference between concept car and real production car.
    09-22-11 07:39 PM
    Watching great quality flash, preseason hockey and using the bridge browser to type this missive. PB set to "showcase".
    09-22-11 08:00 PM

Read the previous posts, TAT is currently working on NDK, i dont think RIM acquired them to develop apps, and we shouldnt really expect a plethora of apps by them, the demoed apps were to show what devs could achieve with the NDK.
    09-22-11 08:47 PM
    If RIM is smart, they have learned the power of a robust ecosystem and that it means even more if the UI is awesome. Therefore, I will make an assumption and assume that TAT has been working around the clock to deliver a bunch of Apps for the QNX system that will run both on the Playbook and the new phones.
    Mike L. mentioned BBM, BB Movies, and specifically that they got the memo on content. If so, and if they are using TAT to help with "over the top" experience, then both the Playbook and the QNX phones have a bright future.
    I love my Bold 9930 and they are going to have to blow it out of the water for me to give it up as my main phone but I'm excited to see the new stuff.

If Mike L. is really a genius, he will finish the developers conference by asking:
    "when will all these awesome things on the PB be available?" and then answering "tomorrow".
    I have overlooked a great deal since they provided me with the best phone in the world so I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

Good luck RIM. Wishing you all the best!
    09-22-11 09:31 PM
    Watching great quality flash, preseason hockey and using the bridge browser to type this missive. PB set to "showcase".
    Was this meant for this thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...k-used-653358/

Or do you think that's what TAT's doing??
    09-22-11 09:40 PM
    Was this meant for this thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...k-used-653358/

Or do you think that's what TAT's doing??
    I'm thinking that TAT has had a hand in the entire UI. I was flicking back and forth between running processes in a seamless, intuitive fashion.
    09-22-11 10:19 PM
    If RIM is smart, they have learned the power of a robust ecosystem and that it means even more if the UI is awesome. Therefore, I will make an assumption and assume that TAT has been working around the clock to deliver a bunch of Apps for the QNX system that will run both on the Playbook and the new phones.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man how to fish and you feed him for a whole life.

Give the devs the tools in the ndk is a lot more so that 3rd party developers can build tens of thousands of apps is a lot more important than TAT building tens of apps.
    KQ9 and ShushUAE like this.
    09-22-11 10:23 PM
    I'm thinking that TAT has had a hand in the entire UI. I was flicking back and forth between running processes in a seamless, intuitive fashion.
    RIM bought TAT in December 2010 --- AFTER the Playbook UI has been designed.
    09-22-11 10:25 PM
    RIM bought TAT in December 2010 --- AFTER the Playbook UI has been designed.
    Wasn't released until 4 months later. How much of a hand, I don't know but UI is a TAT strength.
    09-22-11 10:30 PM
    RIM is focusing on OS2.0, NO doubt about it. OS2.0 = Better QNX phone, and they NEED to have an OS2.0 out with native PIM, if they're ever going to port it on the phone, imagine a phone with no PIM apps?
    And for sure the features in OS2 won't be the only thing on the phone, I foresee OS3 being launched with the QNX phone.

In fact, I bet they're already working on OS3.0. A giant company who had they're wake up call, is always working on the next-big-thing with them. Perhaps OS3.0 would be actually released around the time the QNX phone comes out Q1 next year. with most of acquired companies. I don't think OS2 will include them though.

RIM future depends on the Playbook(QNX). For the QNX phone to shine, the Playbook has to shine first. By the time the QNX phone is released, the QNX OS will have had plenty-of awesome updates. Updates that will make you wonder why other companies take a year to reach the same level of upgrades quality.

And TAT is not releasing any of their apps, because they're working on baking it into the NDK. What that will do is as mentioned allow developers to reuse their awesome effects. And I mean, really awesome effects. And it will become the "default" skin of QNX if you know what I mean. All apps will have a standardized interface unless they make their own, which is much cooler than any other manufacturer out there. Think how Apple achieved their standard interface qualities.
    09-22-11 10:35 PM
    Mike L. mentioned BBM, BB Movies, and specifically that they got the memo on content. If so, and if they are using TAT to help with "over the top" experience, then both the Playbook and the QNX phones have a bright future.
    I love my Bold 9930 and they are going to have to blow it out of the water for me to give it up as my main phone but I'm excited to see the new stuff.

If Mike L. is really a genius, he will finish the developers conference by asking:
    "when will all these awesome things on the PB be available?" and then answering "tomorrow".
    I have overlooked a great deal since they provided me with the best phone in the world so I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

Good luck RIM. Wishing you all the best!
    I hope this is true.

But no... I wouldn't expect RIM to do something like this... This sounds more like a page out of Apple's 'playbook'

09-22-11 10:44 PM
    Take a look at some of the TAT videos on their YouTube channel, and I'm sure some of it is being baked into the Tablet OS and the QNX phone OS. People need to remember that things take time, and it's not that easy to integrate 150+ people around the world into RIM. Also, the native SDK is based on the Momentics tool kit that QNX has developed, and so it's not a matter of just integrating one set of tools, but two different set of tools from two different companies.

Hopefully RIM will "wow" us at DevCon. They surely did last year round....(although I doubt they are expecting to sit on tons of PB inventories at this time)
    09-22-11 11:20 PM
    Wasn't released until 4 months later. How much of a hand, I don't know but UI is a TAT strength.
    RIM demo'ed the Playbook live in October 2010 at Adobe event --- with all the UI's already locked up.
    09-22-11 11:26 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD