Waiting to see what happens to users who download it from app world without a tethering plan.
    07-01-11 03:30 PM
    Anyone from another carrier worried that Verizon/T-Mobile/Sprint might follow suit and start "charging" for bridge.
    Not only does T-Mo NOT charge me to Bridge, they don't even charge me to Tether my PB....
    07-01-11 03:43 PM
    Wow I only use about 1.2gb tethering my laptop a month.
    yah i do alot of streaming video on the way to and from work. and lots of other things

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-11 03:44 PM
    I am AT&T with Bold 9000. I downloaded and installed the OTA from the Crackberry site. It ONLY works for me after I do a battery pull and a hard restart on my PB. Once I turn off and back on, it will not bridge until I do another battery pull and hard restart on PB. That is NOT workable for me long term. Today I uninstalled my OTA bridge and downloaded the AT&T Bridge. It bridged just fine UNTIL I realized that Bridge Browser is DISABLED! This is so frustrating! I suppose I will have to go back to the OTA and continue with the frustrations of the battery pull and hard restart. Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts? Any help is appreciated! I have 6 more months on my AT&T contract.

If the OTA worked consistently, I would be happy with that option!
    07-01-11 04:09 PM
    I wouldnt be upset if the 2gb option included tethering for those 2gb. paying an additional 20 for data ill never use is dumb.

07-01-11 04:23 PM
    AT&T -- Wow! Really?

But i must have the worse bridge browsing experience of anybody -- cuz if Sprint said they were charging for my lousy bridge browsing experience, I would drop it like it's hot and never look back.

I just wish I could try a blackberry on another network to see if there is any appreciable difference.
    07-01-11 04:38 PM
    i have the unlimited data plan. and i used (only with my torch not teathering, with laptop etc) and I usually use about 5-7GB a month
    my usage with me "bridging" to my playbook i do about the same. and yes i do have flash enabled on my playbook. im just going to stick to the ota's posted here (works great on my torch with att). if they are good enough for everyone else then screw att and their teathering plans.
    Hey hate to soud like a true newbie,I missed all the info on the ota's. First offWhat is it and are there any links and info,Thanks in advance!!!
    07-01-11 05:00 PM
    Your right sorry I should of said "ATT is the same company that charged $300 for the Atrix docking station"
    so i take it theres another company that just gives these things away huh?
    07-01-11 05:52 PM
    All I know is that I'm going to my AT&T store today and I'm filing a formal complaint. I'm aware that it won't do a thing at all, but I figure it's worth a shot
    you know we're going to laugh at you when you leave right?
    07-01-11 05:56 PM
    I'll call them and tell them I don't own a playbook. Hope that works.
    it'll work. the trick is to get a foreign rep and talk very nicely but surely of yourself to them. dont talk down to them just sound very sure of yourself.

They will remove the feature and credit your account and apologize profusely, even if they give some resistance at first.

Eventually though, the system will catch you again during the routine scan. Just rinse and repeat
    07-01-11 05:57 PM
    I wouldnt be upset if the 2gb option included tethering for those 2gb. paying an additional 20 for data ill never use is dumb.

So here's what's stupid about tiered data plans, they are actually so greedy that they expect most users to use way less than the cap, to the point where they will punish everyone further if it starts to happen.

In other words if a large percentage of users got close to 2gb, the plan prices would increase again...

That's why they will never technically let you use another device on the same plan regardless of if you stay below your cap, because they don't want you to get anywhere near the cap (the thought is if you use more devices, you will use more data).
    07-01-11 06:08 PM
    you guys are getting worked up over nothing really.

1) technically, youve always been "requireD" to pay for tethering. Ive never paid for tethering because i used the workaround of manually entering the settings and keeping it low key (about 2 gigs a month)

2) The current bridge OTA link is the workaround

3) AT&T is a for profit company. A cellphone with free tethering isnt a right.

4) You, as a human being, have a choice. You can cancel your contract. You may have to pay an early termination fee, but you were told about it before you signed and it was your choice to sign. Its also your choice to own a Playbook and use the bridge function.

5) Some are suggesting the ETF may be less than the cost of a tethering plan, which may be true. That is until the rest of the companies decide to require a tethering plan as well. You'll really feel like a sucker then.

I mean really. If youre that upset about go ahead and switch companies. Its that simple. Or you can go get an ipad 3g and pay for a monthly plan for it, or get a wifi ipad and not be able to bridge.

Also, FYI, the extra 20 not only enables tethering, but DOUBLES the cap to 4gb
    Last edited by offthahorseceo; 07-01-11 at 06:12 PM.
    07-01-11 06:08 PM

1) technically, youve always been "requireD" to pay for tethering. Ive never paid for tethering because i used the workaround of manually entering the settings and keeping it low key (about 2 gigs a month)

4) You, as a human being, have a choice. You can cancel your contract. You may have to pay an early termination fee, but you were told about it before you signed and it was your choice to sign. Its also your choice to own a Playbook and use the bridge function.

5) Some are suggesting the ETF may be less than the cost of a tethering plan, which may be true. That is until the rest of the companies decide to require a tethering plan as well. You'll really feel like a sucker then.

I mean really. If youre that upset about go ahead and switch companies. Its that simple. Or you can go get an ipad 3g and pay for a monthly plan for it, or get a wifi ipad and not be able to bridge.

one the bridge browser is not actually tethering you still have to go through rim's servers. it does not give access directly to att network like if you tethered a laptop to your phone.

second you already pay for access to rim's servers through your bis/bes account.
    07-01-11 06:41 PM
    the end result is still, you have internet access on your playbook.

when i was using my dell streak, i was paying 25/month for internet access on that.
    if you get an iPad 3g you have to pay for internet access on that
    if you get a laptop you have to pay to get internet access to that

the end result, if i wasnt using the OT bridge app, and i wanted to get internet access for the PB and i had to pay for it, i wouldnt be surprised

and at the end of the day, you dont have to pay for it or use it or own a playbook or even own a cellphone. its entirely up to you.
    07-01-11 06:54 PM
    hahaha rim changed the description of the bridge app to say it's free depending on your carrier. I'm thinking of calling rim and telling them i'm att. Then telling them to jump, just to hear them say how high
    07-01-11 06:57 PM
    the end result is still, you have internet access on your playbook.

when i was using my dell streak, i was paying 25/month for internet access on that.
    if you get an iPad 3g you have to pay for internet access on that
    if you get a laptop you have to pay to get internet access to that

the end result, if i wasnt using the OT bridge app, and i wanted to get internet access for the PB and i had to pay for it, i wouldnt be surprised

and at the end of the day, you dont have to pay for it or use it or own a playbook or even own a cellphone. its entirely up to you.
    very true but at the end of the day i chose blackberry and to pay extra already for access to their servers. A bis account is more than a straight data connection. I don't feel I need to pay twice to access them again.
    07-01-11 07:07 PM

For goodness sakes folks. Using the bridge is NOT tethering.

Tethering requires using the phone as a modem, in modem mode.
    Bridge uses the phones own connection. The one your already paying for!

Do some learning before posting inaccurate information and base you
    thought on that.

Tim
    07-01-11 07:11 PM
    For goodness sakes folks. Using the bridge is NOT tethering.

Tethering requires using the phone as a modem, in modem mode.
    Bridge uses the phones own connection. The one your already paying for!

Do some learning before posting inaccurate information and base you
    thought on that.

Tim
    Come on dude! BlackBerry Bridge is just RIM's sneaky way of Tethering on At&t. Slick RIM was trying to pull a fast one on At&t but At&t was no fool... RIM is using desperate measures to regain customers and it's burning them in the rear.
    07-01-11 07:34 PM
    Come on dude! BlackBerry Bridge is just RIM's sneaky way of Tethering on At&t. Slick RIM was trying to pull a fast one on At&t but At&t was no fool... RIM is using desperate measures to regain customers and it's burning them in the rear.
    very true the ceos lied I'm joining xander with saying they can bite me

also bad time for their ceos being caught in a lie
    07-01-11 07:37 PM
    OK, I read it on CNET, ATT is offering the Bridge app without the Bridge Browser enabled on the app store now. The Bridge Browser is blocked, but everything else in Bridge works like emails, file sharing, calendar, contacts, etc.

ATT wants an extra 20 bucks a month for a tether plan. Which would allow all apps and icons to function when tethered, not just the bridge apps. To tether, it has always been like this, so this is nothing new.

So ATT gimped the Playbook's biggest edge over all the other tablets. They are despicable and greedy and I will use a different carrier when my contract is up and use my CB OTA Bridge dl and stick it to ATT for now.

I hope ATT rots in ****...
    07-01-11 07:44 PM
    OK, I read it on CNET, ATT is offering the Bridge app without the Bridge Browser enabled on the app store now. The Bridge Browser is blocked, but everything else in Bridge works like emails, file sharing, calendar, contacts, etc.

ATT wants an extra 20 bucks a month for a tether plan. Which would allow all apps and icons to function when tethered, not just the bridge apps. To tether, it has always been like this, so this is nothing new.

So ATT gimped the Playbook's biggest edge over all the other tablets. They are despicable and greedy and I will use a different carrier when my contract is up and use my CB OTA Bridge dl and stick it to ATT for now.

I hope ATT rots in ****...
    they didn't block it if you use it you will be charged an extra $20 for using it.
    07-01-11 07:49 PM
    Not exactly, from my understanding, Bridge Browser is blocked but other bridge features are not. When you tether, that activates all apps, native browser and bridge browser.

Tethering always did this, they have simply gimped the Bridge browser. ATT should be ashamed of themselves and I hope a Tether app is coming soon to the Playbook...
    07-01-11 07:59 PM

Go Verizon!

If they only knew that we talk to all our customers about how much they suck and try to control you. Verizon has called us several times and thanked us for all the ATT customer referrals.

oh... i guess they know now...
    07-01-11 08:06 PM
    AT&T is a for profit company. A cellphone with free tethering isnt a right.
    what cell gets free data? none. its paid for with a data plan.

Think for a second Einstein.... they are making their customers pay twice for the same product. it isnt free.

07-01-11 08:26 PM
    go buy a car. youll pay taxes on it. every year after that you'll pay taxes on it. thats paying multiple times for the same thing

most states include a highway tax in the yearly registration fee, yet, for some highways you have to pay a toll. thats paying for the same thing twice.

when you get an insurance policy, youre paying the company to insure your risk you pay them so if you get in an accident, theyll pay for the damages for you. yet, when you get in an accident, not only do you pay a deductible, your rates go up. thats paying for the same thing twice at least
    07-01-11 09:25 PM
176 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD