Very likely that this is just a scaretactic to make people sign up for tethering voluntarily.

But it's still just, stupid....
    07-01-11 01:51 PM
    Very likely that this is just a scaretactic to make people sign up for tethering voluntarily.

But it's still just, stupid....
    It's more than stupid, it's downright moronic.
    Daniel Ratcliffe likes this.
    07-01-11 01:52 PM
    i'll just continue to use my pb with my torch... get the updates to bridge from here and say screw you AT&T
    Count on AT&T adding a tethering plan to your account automatically. It will happen, so in the end, AT&T will say "screw you" to you.
    07-01-11 01:54 PM
    Count on AT&T adding a tethering plan to your account automatically. It will happen, so in the end, AT&T will say "screw you" to you.
    I'll call them and tell them I don't own a playbook. Hope that works.
    07-01-11 01:55 PM
    Anyone from another carrier worried that Verizon/T-Mobile/Sprint might follow suit and start "charging" for bridge.
    Yea I have thought about that.

If at&t users bail in large numbers and go elsewhere, other carriers won't.

However, if all the at&t customers lie down and take it without a fight.... Yea, why won't they?

Also...
    If RIM is such a ... that they cooperated with AT&T on this, why wouldn't they cave to other carriers?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-11 01:56 PM
    I'll call them and tell them I don't own a playbook. Hope that works.
    I know your joking, but it might buy some time. However, if they (likely a computer monitoring system) see a spike in data use, I can promise that they will assume that you are tethering/bridging. It will be up to you to prove otherwise, but even if they drop the charge, they will add it right back the next time they believe you are tethering/bridging. Problem is that with enough cat and mouse games, AT&T will just terminate your service and send you packing.

Of course, that might not be a bad deal, but still...
    07-01-11 01:57 PM

I know your joking, but it might buy some time. However, if they (likely a computer monitoring system) see a spike in data use, I can promise that they will assume that you are tethering/bridging. It will be up to you to prove otherwise, but even if they drop the charge, they will add it right back the next time they believe you are tethering/bridging. Problem is that with enough cat and mouse games, AT&T will just terminate your service and send you packing.

Of course, that might not be a bad deal, but still...
    i use about 5-7GB of data a month before the PB even came out. and it hasnt gone up at all really (just do the same things only now its on the pb) and if they truly cant trace it then screw them...
    07-01-11 02:05 PM
    Good luck with that.
    07-01-11 02:08 PM
    Thats my cue I already explained it haha.
    See ya guys, Im out

I totally agree with you. If you have att, only dnld the ota version of bbbrowser! Stay away from the att dnld!

SlcCorrado likes this.
    07-01-11 02:10 PM
    here is my question, will the att specific pridge app be faster than the current one? like will it get an ip from att instead of rim and not go thru bis....if so....i dont mind using it. it would be like a constantly connected dun
    07-01-11 02:13 PM
    The bridge uses the phone's data connection, which is AT&T's BIS server.

So no.
    07-01-11 02:14 PM
    here is my question, will the att specific pridge app be faster than the current one? like will it get an ip from att instead of rim and not go thru bis....if so....i dont mind using it. it would be like a constantly connected dun
    The bridge does not assign an IP or any unique identifier to the playbook. There is a tether option build into the playbook but this a separate from the bridge app.
    07-01-11 02:26 PM
    Its amazing how great of a job AT&T does pissing off their customers and scaring away anyone with the thought of switching. Thankfully im with the latter and know now to not even consider them when switching carriers. It would be a shame if the merger goes through giving them a GSM monopoly because i really wanted to stick with a GSM carrier. They disgust me!
    07-01-11 02:31 PM
    The bridge does not assign an IP or any unique identifier to the playbook. There is a tether option build into the playbook but this a separate from the bridge app.
    aaah, i see.
    07-01-11 02:32 PM
    So how will AT&T know I am using the bridge browser if I never exceed my data plan limit? If I exceed the limit they will charge me accordingly per GB used. AT&T will be losing a customer very soon if they try to charge me twice for the same amount of data.
    07-01-11 02:35 PM
    Here's the thing I'm confused about, if the bridge browser is simply just displaying the content that the Blackberry phone's browser is grabbing, then how can they charge us customers extra for it? It's not tethering at all when you go through the bridge browser because all the playbook does is act as a larger display for what the browser on the phone is downloading itself.
    It's not displaying your phones browser because flash will work over the bridge and we all know the bb's phone browser will not do flash.

Even so there should be no charge! Glad I'm not with AT&T.
    07-01-11 02:36 PM
    Going to try and recap again....

1) They don't have to prove anything to try and charge you... That is a myth.
    2) They aren't charging you simply based on data caps. If that was true you should be able to tether any device as long as you stay under the limit. By the letter that has never been true...
    3) This is probably just a scaretactic (for now) to get people to sign up for tethering
    07-01-11 02:38 PM
    i use about 5-7GB of data a month before the PB even came out. and it hasnt gone up at all really (just do the same things only now its on the pb) and if they truly cant trace it then screw them...
    Wow I only use about 1.2gb tethering my laptop a month.
    07-01-11 02:39 PM
    I have no clue what the **** everyone is crying about I downloaded the bridge from app world and it does not say that you have to add a tethering plan. Now i understand that they do not have to put it there but they would if they don't want a law suite IMO. So here is what my bridge say from my app management screen. Not to mention that if you walk into a sprint store to buy the playbook they tell you that you have to add the tethering plan when in reality you do not, so i ask what is the difference.
    07-01-11 02:54 PM
    There seems to be a lot of rumors here, what is the truth? Is ATT charging for Bridge Browsing? I am not sure, is that what happened?

Also if they are and you used the wonderful OTA Bridge dl seen on this very site instead of the app world Bridge app, could ATT tell the difference? Is there a way to detect Bridge browsing from BB to PB?

If these rumors are true, I will be leaving ATT when my contract is up. Get a BB to bridge with on Sprint of Verizon instead. Luv the BB platform, I am really getting irked at ATT right about now...
    07-01-11 02:57 PM
    I have no clue what the **** everyone is crying about I downloaded the bridge from app world and it does not say that you have to add a tethering plan. Now i understand that they do not have to put it there but they would if they don't want a law suite IMO. So here is what my bridge say from my app management screen. Not to mention that if you walk into a sprint store to buy the playbook they tell you that you have to add the tethering plan when in reality you do not, so i ask what the **** is the difference.
    Then I'd tell them to stick their wifi playbook and go somewhere else and buy it and bridge to my hearts content but not over my data plan. Wow, just wow. Then they will $0 off it instead of whatever markup there is.
    07-01-11 03:03 PM
    I have a question - when you tether your playbook to your blackberry, do you still use the regular browser on the playbook instead of having to use the bridge browser?
    07-01-11 03:06 PM
    There seems to be a lot of rumors here, what is the truth? Is ATT charging for Bridge Browsing? I am not sure, is that what happened?

Also if they are and you used the wonderful OTA Bridge dl seen on this very site instead of the app world Bridge app, could ATT tell the difference? Is there a way to detect Bridge browsing from BB to PB?

If these rumors are true, I will be leaving ATT when my contract is up. Get a BB to bridge with on Sprint of Verizon instead. Luv the BB platform, I am really getting irked at ATT right about now...
    I agree, right now it is all just speculation. How will they know if people are using the bridge app (especially those of us that dl'ed from CB)? How would this be any different than those of us who use tether? Let's see how this goes before jumping to conclusions.
    07-01-11 03:15 PM
    I have a question - when you tether your playbook to your blackberry, do you still use the regular browser on the playbook instead of having to use the bridge browser?
    If you are tethering you're using the native browser not the bridge browser. I'm not sure what the difference is since I don't have one yet.

There is a difference between tethering and bridging.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 07-01-11 at 03:27 PM. Reason: add difference
    07-01-11 03:27 PM
    Tethering uses the native browser, and technically has always been a separate charge (tethering plan required).
    07-01-11 03:28 PM
176 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD