i expected this from ATT, but for RIM to approve it for app world amazed me. my contract is up with ATT in a couple weeks. i love my blackberry but think i'm done with RIM and ATT. gonna ebay the playbook and torch. been thinking about a droid or iphone anyway. this just helped my decision. fortunately i sell cell phones part time so i can push other companies except ATT. i love ticking off att reps too. lol
    07-01-11 01:01 PM
    Hate to say it, but told ya so!

Remember this?

"AT&T is working with RIM to make the BlackBerry Bridge app available for AT&T customers. We have just received the app for testing and before it's made available to AT&T customers we want to ensure it delivers a quality experience for our customers."

I am so glad I am not with them nor will I ever be with Evil AT&T.

A lie is a lie even though the headline on this website is so nice and puffy toward
    a company that bold faced lied to their customer.

Come CB, take the gloves off!

The headline should read " AT&T is now double charging BB users!"

ATT users, leave now or you will be rewarding ATT for what they did to you!

Tim
    Yeah, even for what I do agree with, I have to take issue with what you said. Its just not that black and white. Cant believe you have me defending att of all companies, but seriously, business is business. You're kinda just throwin stuff out there. We all knew att was holding out so they could charge. Its not really a "gotcha/I told ya so" moment. At least that is my opinion.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-11 01:03 PM
    Yeah, even for what I do agree with, I have to take issue with what you said. Its just not that black and white. Cant believe you have me defending att of all companies, but seriously, business is business. You're kinda just throwin stuff out there. We all knew att was holding out so they could charge. Its not really a "gotcha/I told ya so" moment. At least that is my opinion.

I'm not as pissed at ATT like you said we all knew they would do it. I'm pissed at RIM for going along with it.
    07-01-11 01:06 PM
    does anyone remember i think it was Mike L. when they announced the playbook saying that we could use bridge for browsing on the same data plan that we currently had?
    if att charges to use this feature, isnt that false advertizing?
    just thinking out loud...
    07-01-11 01:14 PM
    I'm not as pissed at ATT like you said we all knew they would do it. I'm pissed at RIM for going along with it.
    But thats exactly the point The way Im looking at it is RIM makes it possible for us to grab that (I think its one) cod file. They knew full well, everyone was going to be able to use it. So they blocked it on app world, like att told them, stayed in atts good graces, and secretly probably just chuckled to themselves knowing anyone who really wanted bridge would be able to install it. The icing on the cake, by running bridge through a different port than bluetooth tethering, it makes it harder to spot. I think they did good

07-01-11 01:15 PM
    does anyone remember i think it was Mike L. when they announced the playbook saying that we could use bridge for browsing on the same data plan that we currently had?
    Not really, because they did everything possible to make it so that carriers can't tell the difference.

AT&T is going above and beyond to punish you, not RIM.
    07-01-11 01:15 PM
    It was Jim to a Cnet reporter

Last week at the launch party of the new PlayBook in New York City, RIM co-CEO Jim Balsillie said that the "bridging" app for the PlayBook was a big differentiator for the Playbook over either the iPad or other Android tablets that are sold through carriers, because the "bridge" app allows BlackBerry users to get 3G data access on their tablets without paying an additional fee.
    07-01-11 01:17 PM
    Its AT&T's network. They can do whatever they want.
    07-01-11 01:17 PM
    Probably not legally. A bit unethical though

07-01-11 01:19 PM
    Not really, because they did everything possible to make it so that carriers can't tell the difference.

AT&T is going above and beyond to punish you, not RIM.
    dang AT&T greedty little....

only reason i stay is unlimited data, and voice and data at the same time.(need that for sure) and also because i do love the torch
    07-01-11 01:21 PM
    Its AT&T's network. They can do whatever they want.
    It sucks when what they want conflicts with what the consumers want. People get upset, its normal. However, I agree with your statement

07-01-11 01:22 PM
    It was Jim to a Cnet reporter

Last week at the launch party of the new PlayBook in New York City, RIM co-CEO Jim Balsillie said that the "bridging" app for the PlayBook was a big differentiator for the Playbook over either the iPad or other Android tablets that are sold through carriers, because the "bridge" app allows BlackBerry users to get 3G data access on their tablets without paying an additional fee.
    thats the one... false advertising maybe.... dont know what it would be legally if some one sued them for it ..
    07-01-11 01:24 PM
    Here's the thing I'm confused about, if the bridge browser is simply just displaying the content that the Blackberry phone's browser is grabbing, then how can they charge us customers extra for it? It's not tethering at all when you go through the bridge browser because all the playbook does is act as a larger display for what the browser on the phone is downloading itself.
    07-01-11 01:25 PM
    Here's the thing I'm confused about, if the bridge browser is simply just displaying the content that the Blackberry phone's browser is grabbing, then how can they charge us customers extra for it? It's not tethering at all when you go through the bridge browser because all the playbook does is act as a larger display for what the browser on the phone is downloading itself.
    If they could charge you for using hdmi output on your phone, they would...
    Daniel Ratcliffe likes this.
    07-01-11 01:28 PM
    dang AT&T greedty little....

only reason i stay is unlimited data, and voice and data at the same time.(need that for sure) and also because i do love the torch
    Yeah, all gripes in this thread aside, torch is still my favorite smartphone.
    07-01-11 01:29 PM
    Thats my cue I already explained it haha.
    See ya guys, Im out

07-01-11 01:31 PM

You don't seem to understand. It doesn't matter how it works at all. They own the network, they can choose to charge customers for it, unless there's some law that says they can't.
    07-01-11 01:32 PM
    You don't seem to understand. It doesn't matter how it works at all. They own the network, they can choose to charge customers for it, unless there's some law that says they can't.
    I understand that they own the network, but if the data and data requests from the playbook are unable to be differentiated from the standard browser, then how would they even know that we're using the bridge browser? It makes no sense whatsoever.

I honestly can't believe RIM is letting themselves be pushed around like this, it is absolutely pathetic.
    07-01-11 01:35 PM
    It's a very good question.
    07-01-11 01:36 PM
    Yep you are right.

Their customers can also leave which if they don't its their fault for getting fleeced like sheep.

Two years of a tethering plan costs $480. Its cheaper to break your contract.

I honestly can't believe RIM is letting themselves be pushed around
    like this, it is absolutely pathetic.
    I can believe it. Those two monkees (making love to) a football that are running the show have proven to be completely ineffective leaders.
    Last edited by kb5zht; 07-01-11 at 01:41 PM.
    07-01-11 01:36 PM

You don't seem to understand they can not charge you two times for the same service. Thats the reason they keep trying to say tethering when its not.
    07-01-11 01:39 PM
    Their arguement is going to be something stupid along the lines of what is being transfered over bluetooth is not simply a screen transfer.

Why?

Because it doesn't show up on the PB looking the same as the device itself...

That stupid little difference (even if it makes no sense) makes it not as cut an dry as a simple video out.
    wdcraig1992 likes this.
    07-01-11 01:41 PM
    All I know is that I'm going to my AT&T store today and I'm filing a formal complaint. I'm aware that it won't do a thing at all, but I figure it's worth a shot
    jthep and motor96 like this.
    07-01-11 01:42 PM
    Anyone from another carrier worried that Verizon/T-Mobile/Sprint might follow suit and start "charging" for bridge.
    07-01-11 01:48 PM
    i'll just continue to use my pb with my torch... get the updates to bridge from here and say screw you AT&T
    07-01-11 01:49 PM
176 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD