And the answer is probably no. Its not even really a workaround if you think about it. You download the same app as everyone else, just from a different source. Also, RIM did us a solid (and were actually quite sneaky) by routing the bridge browser differently as to make it harder to detect.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Nothing sneaky about it. It just uses BIS, which to a carrier should look like any other traffic coming from RIM's NOC.
    07-01-11 08:20 AM
    It actually has to do with bandwidth, not data, but your average consumer doesn't understand bandwidth and trying to throttle everyone's connection would be a network nightmare so they use data caps. AT&T or any other carrier couldn't give a **** how much data you use if the bandwidth is low. Sure you are using the same data, but you're not pulling it in huge chunks viewing mobile sites a phone like you're able to viewing full blown sites and video while connected to a PB.

This is nothing new, heck, back when I was in college we had data caps because of all the P2P music downloading and stuff and once you were over the limit, you got busted down to 56k modem speeds. People don't seem to understand that bandwidth is not unlimited nor is radio spectrum. The more you use, the more is unavailable for others to use and carriers have to make sure that there is enough bandwidth for all to use. That is one of the major reasons why AT&T is buying T-mobile, they need the extra bandwidth.
    What about the data/bandwidth sucking 4g phones if someone is downloading/streaming videos/movies on them all day long?

You people that defend the carriers must be afraid your profits are going to suffer on your stock.
    07-01-11 08:26 AM
    Nothing sneaky about it. It just uses BIS, which to a carrier should look like any other traffic coming from RIM's NOC.
    Haha. Go back and read. It was

*edit: Here's some reading material
    http://m.crackberry.com/blackberry-bridge-vs-internet-tethering
    http://m.crackberry.com/blackberry-bridge

Also, just a heads up, there's a nifty little button down there for multiquoting. You're welcome haha
    Last edited by SlcCorrado; 07-01-11 at 08:52 AM.
    07-01-11 08:45 AM
    What about the data/bandwidth sucking 4g phones if someone is downloading/streaming videos/movies on them all day long?

You people that defend the carriers must be afraid your profits are going to suffer on your stock.
    That's what the caps are for so that person is going to pay more either for a higher cap or in excess data fees when they exceed the cap. When I was in college, we had a 1 GB per week cap. What do you think made the most sense, download a bunch of files on Sunday, blow thru my cap and then have to surf the web on dial up the rest of the week or spead my usage out during the week so I had full network speed in case I really needed to get some school work done?

It's not about defending the carriers per se, but understanding that when it comes to a resource, it's not always about how much I'm using it, but in what way am I using it.
    RevyRah likes this.
    07-01-11 08:46 AM
    Why would you people think it would be free?

It IS tethering and they have ALWAYS charged for tethering.

Don't go to that "Unlimited Data Crap", that was for your smart phone.

ALL the carriers will be charging for this sooner or later, our FCC has given them full permission to charge extra for more bandwidth.
    It is not tethering sir. You are so wrong on this.

Using the phones current connection and its current bandwidth.
    At no time is extra bandwidth used. Period.

You need to stop saying untruths and see the light. Its is making you
    look bad.

Tim
    TripNFry likes this.
    07-01-11 08:49 AM
    Yes that's all good and fine. I'm talking about the ones that claim bandwidth is the reason as far as why you can't use your data you're paying for by tethering without paying extra even if you don't go over what you're paying for.
    07-01-11 08:51 AM
    I'm not sure what the big deal is! There is no way for ATT to tell if you are surfing the net on your blackberry or your playbook!

07-01-11 10:16 AM
    As expected, the OP on this thread was incorrect. AT&T does not mention any limitations being imposed on the Bridge Browser:

AT&T to Finally Open Up BlackBerry Bridge Today - BerryReview
    Last edited by Mojoski; 07-01-11 at 10:48 AM. Reason: made wording more clear..
    07-01-11 10:42 AM
    As expected, the OP on this thread was incorrect. There will be no limitatipns imposed by AT&T on the Bridge Browser:

AT&T to Finally Open Up BlackBerry Bridge Today - BerryReview
    That's not what the post says. It says ATT is offering a full tether package for $20/month. We don't know if they are blocking the bridge browser or not.
    07-01-11 10:46 AM

Also, rememeber that ATT is the same company that charges an extra plan to the Android Atrix phone because it does more.

Not true. Know what youre talking about ...
    07-01-11 10:53 AM
    Not true. Know what youre talking about ...
    Your right sorry I should of said "ATT is the same company that charged $300 for the Atrix docking station"
    07-01-11 10:57 AM
    Well it's on App world through my torch but still says unavailable by carrier
    07-01-11 11:06 AM
    AT&T's full tethering for $20 isn't new its been available for a while now, I've had it for quite some time on my wifes iphone and just added it to my torch. As far as the bridge browser, if they do restrict it what is restricting everyone from downloading the bridge app that belongs to one of the other carriers? Its been working flawlessly so far (including the bridge browser).
    07-01-11 11:08 AM
    AT&T's full tethering for $20 isn't new its been available for a while now, I've had it for quite some time on my wifes iphone and just added it to my torch. As far as the bridge browser, if they do restrict it what is restricting everyone from downloading the bridge app that belongs to one of the other carriers? Its been working flawlessly so far (including the bridge browser).
    i currently have the unlimited data plan. how can i add tethering for 20? i do not see this as an option on the website.
    Last edited by optimo; 07-01-11 at 11:26 AM.
    07-01-11 11:20 AM
    i currently have the unlimeted data plan. how can i add tethering for 20? i do not see this as an option on the website.
    FYI, You'll loss your grandfathered "unlimited plan" if you add a tethering option.

Same reason I don't mess with tethering apps or try to manually do it. I don't want to loss my unlimited international data plan.
    07-01-11 11:23 AM
    FYI, You'll loss your grandfathered "unlimited plan" if you add a tethering option.

Same reason I don't mess with tethering apps or try to manually do it. I don't want to loss my unlimited international data plan.
    thats what i figured. i cant win......lol
    07-01-11 11:25 AM
    i have the unlimited data plan. and i used (only with my torch not teathering, with laptop etc) and I usually use about 5-7GB a month
    my usage with me "bridging" to my playbook i do about the same. and yes i do have flash enabled on my playbook. im just going to stick to the ota's posted here (works great on my torch with att). if they are good enough for everyone else then screw att and their teathering plans.
    07-01-11 12:04 PM
    I stand corrected. The article from RIM states that tethering will actually be required for Bridge Browser on AT&T plans.. That is what I get for giving AT&T and RIM the benefit of the doubt. AT&T sucks..
    07-01-11 12:05 PM
    I stand corrected. The article from RIM states that tethering will actually be required for Bridge Browser on AT&T plans.. That is what I get for giving AT&T and RIM the benefit of the doubt. AT&T sucks..
    Yeah it's too bad. If you stick with bridge you should be fine. As long as the usage doesnt skyrocket, but it shouldnt anyway. What I remember hearing (I couldnt find the source) is that, although tethering is also done through bluetooth, it uses a different port which is easily visible/traceable by the carriers. Bridge on the other hand, is fed to the PB differently and is therefore much harder (maybe impossible, again, not totally sure) to monitor. Feel free to correct me if Im wrong, but thats exactly what I remember.

07-01-11 12:17 PM
    Yeah it's too bad. If you stick with bridge you should be fine. As long as the usage doesnt skyrocket, but it shouldnt anyway. What I remember hearing (I couldnt find the source) is that, although tethering is also done through bluetooth, it uses a different port which is easily visible/traceable by the carriers. Bridge on the other hand, is fed to the PB differently and is therefore much harder (maybe impossible, again, not totally sure) to monitor. Feel free to correct me if Im wrong, but thats exactly what I remember.

No you are correct RIM has stated there is no way for the carriers to tell the difference. Still just pissed I have to continue to upgrade from OTAs and really monitor my bill to make sure I don't get charged.
    07-01-11 12:21 PM
    No you are correct RIM has stated there is no way for the carriers to tell the difference. Still just pissed I have to continue to upgrade from OTAs and really monitor my bill to make sure I don't get charged.
    Yeah thats a bummer. Dont know if you ever tried Personal Assistant, but its pretty good for monitoring data. Or MyATT works too, but I don't recommend it

07-01-11 12:31 PM
    at&t customers.... Thank God I am with Sprint and get the bridge browser free.
    07-01-11 12:33 PM
    at&t customers ... Thank God I am with Sprint and get the bridge browser free.
    We all do too haha. Clicking a link on a website or clicking a link in an app... Who cares hahaha.

07-01-11 12:35 PM
    Yes its not a problem because we have the OTA link, (shhh dont tell them) but the problem is the very attitude. Other carriers are not having problem with bridge, they knew it was coming they knew it would be critical, they are in contact with RIM, but they BLOCK THE APP? the only reason I have stuck with them has been the cheap phone upgrades...

I cant wait until they no longer have exclusive iphone rights (they may already not for what I care) but I can't wait until they DONT have the BOLD touch or the Torch 2 - that's my time to pull the umbilical from these arrogant greedy ***** You would think they might want their customers to be HAPPY- the unlimited $50 blackberry data plan isn't enough for them? And the dropped calls are endless....and 3G coverage spotty.
    07-01-11 12:50 PM
    Hate to say it, but told ya so!

Remember this?

"AT&T is working with RIM to make the BlackBerry Bridge app available for AT&T customers. We have just received the app for testing and before it's made available to AT&T customers we want to ensure it delivers a quality experience for our customers."

I am so glad I am not with them nor will I ever be with Evil AT&T.

A lie is a lie even though the headline on this website is so nice and puffy toward
    a company that bold faced lied to their customer.

Come CB, take the gloves off!

The headline should read " AT&T is now double charging BB users!"

ATT users, leave now or you will be rewarding ATT for what they did to you!

Tim
    07-01-11 12:55 PM
176 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD