Just got a 64GB PlayBook (my 1st tablet) and having problem getting started. My husband's (same tablet, arrived same day) has gotten connected and is working fine. Mine isn't registering the Wi-Fi hub automatically, I've been unable to connect with WPS (as I did with his) or manually. It just won't seem to connect to the hub. After failure, the diagnostics indicate OS, PIN, Platform Version...BUT Physical Address line is BLANK...could this be the problem? How do I correct it, if so? Can't get to any other screen except 'Connect to Wi-Fi' and 'Language'. Any help would be greatly appreciated...I really want to USE my PlayBook...it looks great for my needs, if I can just get it started!!! Thanks.
    06-30-13 06:48 AM
    Just got a 64GB PlayBook (my 1st tablet) and having problem getting started. My husband's (same tablet, arrived same day) has gotten connected and is working fine. Mine isn't registering the Wi-Fi hub automatically, I've been unable to connect with WPS (as I did with his) or manually. It just won't seem to connect to the hub. After failure, the diagnostics indicate OS, PIN, Platform Version...BUT Physical Address line is BLANK...could this be the problem? How do I correct it, if so? Can't get to any other screen except 'Connect to Wi-Fi' and 'Language'. Any help would be greatly appreciated...I really want to USE my PlayBook...it looks great for my needs, if I can just get it started!!! Thanks.
    BlackBerry PlayBook Setup | CrackBerry.com
    Sharon Attwood likes this.
    06-30-13 06:52 AM
    You might try a public wifi at Starbucks, library or similar and see if it gets moving.

Good luck.
    06-30-13 10:31 AM
    Thanks, F2...our nearest public Wi-Fi point is almost an hour away (we're out in central France countryside), but I will try that if I can't get it to recognize my home hub.
    Last edited by Sharon Attwood; 07-01-13 at 06:02 AM.
    07-01-13 05:51 AM
    Thanks for the link, bambinoitaliano...already been there...NO HELP AT ALL...I didn't get a 'Welcome' screen (it goes directly to the 'Connect to Wi-Fi' screen on opening) and the navigation buttons at the top (i.e.: 'Skip', etc) are not on my connect to WiFi screen.

I tried to get assistance from the BB site, but it says my SN is not entitled to the free 90 day assistance...DO I HAVE A FAKE??? or is it an old one someone returned (i.e.: reconditioned) and therefore not covered??? It was advertised 'NEW' and I bought it as such and I've only had it since Friday afternoon, but now I'm starting to wonder...JUST WANT TO USE IT!!!
    07-01-13 06:00 AM
    Thanks for the link, bambinoitaliano...already been there...NO HELP AT ALL...I didn't get a 'Welcome' screen (it goes directly to the 'Connect to Wi-Fi' screen on opening) and the navigation buttons at the top (i.e.: 'Skip', etc) are not on my connect to WiFi screen.

I tried to get assistance from the BB site, but it says my SN is not entitled to the free 90 day assistance...DO I HAVE A FAKE??? or is it an old one someone returned (i.e.: reconditioned) and therefore not covered??? It was advertised 'NEW' and I bought it as such and I've only had it since Friday afternoon, but now I'm starting to wonder...JUST WANT TO USE IT!!!
    Have you try to wipe it and reset to manufacture setting?
    07-01-13 06:24 AM
    Any chance this is a router problem. Maybe it does not like two pb's being hooked up. Experimenting might disable your husband's and trying to establish yours?
    07-01-13 10:49 AM
    Any chance this is a router problem. Maybe it does not like two pb's being hooked up. Experimenting might disable your husband's and trying to establish yours?
    LOL!! R u trying to cause trouble? I got two playbooks, z10, ipod touch they all play nice.
    07-01-13 11:37 AM
    LOL!! R u trying to cause trouble? I got two playbooks, z10, ipod touch they all play nice.
    Well, I think there is definitely something broken when you connect a Playbook to a router using wpa security. Here, my whole network stops working after a short time, and stays not working until I set the PB's wifi to off. This applies whether the PB is alive or on standby ie it still kills my network on standby..

If I turn the wif on the PB off, it works when I turn it on, and the network works for a while, then it all falls apart. I haven't had time to look into this and, at the suggestion of a friend, am hoping to try using an old router as an access point off the main router. I can set that up to only connect to the PB, use a different address range and to use WEP, or nothing.
    I suspect the problem is to do with the PB screwing the name resolution on the network. Everything can still connect to the internet, just the local network becomes blind.

I had problems vaguely similar to the OP until I sussed out these workarounds.
    07-01-13 12:07 PM
    I don't know - maybe their router does have a problem???? One part of the equation.
    07-01-13 03:14 PM
    When I had similar problems - the PB wouldn't stay connected - my IT service guy solved the problem by locking my router on some single channel, instead of allowing it to roam in the wifi space.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-01-13 10:27 PM
    Have you try to wipe it and reset to manufacture setting?
    How do I reset to manufacturer's setting? I am somewhat computer savvy, but need some guidance here. THANKS!!
    07-02-13 05:22 AM
    [QUOTE=Sharon Attwood;8746770]How do I reset to manufacturer's setting? I am somewhat computer savvy, but need some guidance here. THANKS!![/QUOTE
    On the left side of the screen, tap on security and tap on security wipe.
    07-02-13 07:29 AM
    [QUOTE=bambinoitaliano;8747222]
    How do I reset to manufacturer's setting? I am somewhat computer savvy, but need some guidance here. THANKS!![/QUOTE
    to clear this up, you must be in the browser, swipe down from top, tap settings icon on top right...
    07-02-13 09:11 PM
    [QUOTE=SEAWARRIOR;8751761]

to clear this up, you must be in the browser, swipe down from top, tap settings icon on top right...
    A Security Wipe is NOT done from the Browser's settings icon. It is accomplished from the Main Screen, Gear (options), scroll down to Security and find the Wipe option.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    07-02-13 11:30 PM
    [QUOTE=bambinoitaliano;8747222]
    How do I reset to manufacturer's setting? I am somewhat computer savvy, but need some guidance here. THANKS!![/QUOTE
    PROBLEM IS: I can't get past the 'Connect to Wi-Fi' screen to complete set up so I can do anything at all.
    07-03-13 05:08 AM
    [QUOTE=F2;8752444]

A Security Wipe is NOT done from the Browser's settings icon. It is accomplished from the Main Screen, Gear (options), scroll down to Security and find the Wipe option.
    Wish I could get to the Main Screen!!! That would mean the problem was solved...PROBLEM IS: I can't get past the 'Connect to Wi-Fi' screen to complete set up so I can do anything at all.
    07-03-13 05:10 AM
    On the 'not entitled to 90 day support' did you phone them or just look on website? If you phone support they'll ask you about purchase and register you. F2 regularly publishes contact info to phone support, if you don't have the number look for his posts.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-13 05:27 AM
    I think the reason you can't get any further than the wifi screen without actually connecting to a wifi network is because you need a connection to accept the End User Licence Agreement (EULA). A pain if you are having problems with your wifi! I can only suggest what has been said previously, that you try and connect to an alternative wifi network to see if this works. What is a mystery in your case is that your husband is up and running on your network without issue.
    07-03-13 05:35 AM
    What Constable said;
    If you can access your WiFi router's settings, look in the WiFi setup and then if the channel is set to 'auto' then change it to a specific number(doesn't really matter too much which one). Save settings, and then retry. This worked for me when my PlayBook had trouble connecting.
    07-03-13 05:49 AM
    I had a similar issue settIng up a new pb. I think you are tirning it on and never getting to boot as it wants to update to the newest os,and cannot check due to no wifi access. correct?
    if so, forget about the router etc. you need to download the bb pb desktop software, and install on pc. then look for upadte/repair instructions and follow them. I cannot remeber the correct procedure, but it goes something like
    start the pc software
    turn off pb and once completely powered down connect to pc via usb
    choose the relevant option (repair/fix/whatever)
    leave it for the best part of an hour or so.

this should fix it and then you can worry about routers and suchlike. the pb can be an awkward wee thing!
    07-03-13 07:09 AM
    If you do need support:

The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected] (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    Smartphones BlackBerry Z10 - Tous les T�l�phones Portables BlackBerry - FR - France
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)

BlackBerry� Customer Support Center
    Austria:0800-297-476
    Belgium:800-77-980
    RIM (Brasil Support toll free number): 0800-022-3161
    Bulgaria: 00800-118-1115
    Denmark: 802-50198
    France: 800-914-533
    Germany: 800-181-6530
    Italy: 800-789-272
    Luxembourg: 800-2-2187
    Netherlands: 800-022-7316
    Norway: 00-1-647-426-7058
    Poland: 00-800-112-43-59
    Portugal: 800-827-760
    Russia: 8-800-100-9643
    South Africa: 0800988892
    Spain: 900-866-969
    Sweden: 02-079-4448
    Switzerland: 0-800-802-492
    United Kingdom: 08000962805

Phone-Numbers of BlackBerry PLAYBOOK- Helpdesks...

Germany: 0800 1816530 (Geb�hrenfrei)

North-America: 1 877 255 2377 (Toll Free)

UK: 0808 100 7466 (Toll Free UK only)

Outside UK: +44 1753 558400

Worldwide: 1 519 888 6181

[email protected]

(BTW: Helpdesk for BlackBerry devices -except PlayBook- for Germany:
    0180 3302626)
    07-03-13 08:46 AM
    [quote=f2;8752444]

a security wipe is not done from the browser's settings icon. It is accomplished from the main screen, gear (options), scroll down to security and find the wipe option.
    oops...
    07-03-13 11:20 AM
    Buy another tablet
    07-03-13 11:22 AM
    Factory reset for the BlackBerry PlayBook also fixes bricked devices | CrackBerry.com

Follow the link to the above. This walks you through a factory reset. It sounds to me like this is a second hand device that has been security wiped prior to sale. I bought a second hand playbook and ran into the exact same issue.

In order to reset it to a "new" working state I had to run this procedure twice. The first go around did not restore the complete factory settings.
    07-03-13 12:29 PM
30 12