I'm a newbie and you folks have helped me correct the calendar date previously. Now I need help on the next step:

1. Folders
    I would like to set up a series of folders (and perhaps, if possible, subfolders). Examples would be: My photos, Family, Restaurants, Articles, etc.
    I read mention of the app Files & Folders and I don't mind paying $2.99 for this app. But I do not use cloud storage solutions (yet). Where do I start?

2. Contact list
    Does this have to be created while online and linked to my laptop PC for downloading the existing Windows Contact list? Or can I manually create a contact list on the PB? And oh, I noticed that in the Users Guide (which is not very helpful, sorry to say) there is a portion dealing with Messages. Maybe my question is really directed toward establishing an email contact list.

Any help is much appreciated.
    10-09-12 04:12 PM
    If you hook you pb up to your computer, something like Windows Explorer can create subfolders within the existing folders on the pb. The limitation is that only the Photo viewing app will use those Subfolders - they appear as separate Albums. So, dads birthday, summer vacation, prom would be albums when using the photo viewing app. But if you want say, Work documents, personal documents, letters, etc, you can create folders like that but Word-to-go and similar apps will not see those folders - all of the docs will show in one long list. Files&Folders and some other apps can show the folders and could launch the app with the file.
    10-09-12 04:41 PM
    Thanks for your response. My Folder structure is more for work documents, personal documents and stuff that do not require photos (which I hope to store in someplace separate). So what to do? Get Files & Folders?
    10-09-12 04:49 PM
    You can create folders, but the PlayBook's apps will ignore them for the most part.

Docs2Go/Adobe Reader will just display a long list of documents. Videos will give you a long page full of thumbnails. Music will sort by Album, Genre and Artist. Pictures will take folders/subfolders and make albums.

I have Files and folders. It's a good app. But you can get started with AIR browser, at least until you get into cloud storage.

I suggest, for cloud, BOX. There is an app and if you sign up using it, it gives you 50Gb for free (and we already know it will be somewhat integrated to BB10 ).
    10-09-12 05:48 PM
    I'm a newbie and you folks have helped me correct the calendar date previously. Now I need help on the next step:

1. Folders
    I would like to set up a series of folders (and perhaps, if possible, subfolders). Examples would be: My photos, Family, Restaurants, Articles, etc.
    I read mention of the app Files & Folders and I don't mind paying $2.99 for this app. But I do not use cloud storage solutions (yet). Where do I start?

2. Contact list
    Does this have to be created while online and linked to my laptop PC for downloading the existing Windows Contact list? Or can I manually create a contact list on the PB? And oh, I noticed that in the Users Guide (which is not very helpful, sorry to say) there is a portion dealing with Messages. Maybe my question is really directed toward establishing an email contact list.

Any help is much appreciated.

1. To create a folder tap down on an icon and hold. The icon will start to pulsate within 2 seconds or so. Drag that item ontop of another item you want in that folder. The items are now in a new folder. Drag other items into the folder as needed.

2. The contact list has already been answered
    10-09-12 06:02 PM
    Which reply to this post answered the Contacts questions?
    10-09-12 07:39 PM
    Given that many people who manually created their contact list on their playbook had them wiped out by OS2.1, I wouldn't trust either the local calendar or contact list. Downloading contacts is better.
    10-09-12 10:41 PM
    Which reply to this post answered the Contacts questions?
    none your right. oops
    10-09-12 11:15 PM
    1. To create a folder tap down on an icon and hold. The icon will start to pulsate within 2 seconds or so. Drag that item ontop of another item you want in that folder. The items are now in a new folder. Drag other items into the folder as needed.

Tap down on what/which icon and hold? Can you give me a specific example?

2. The contact list has already been answered
    Meaning... ? Download from my PC? Apparently I must be on wi-fi in order to save my contact list, no?

Diegonei, looking at DocsToGo (one of the icons on the PB tablet) I see at the top four headings: Pictures, Video, Music and Documents. Are you saying that under Documents or any of the other headings one can only get a long list and not subfolders? If that is the case it isn't too convenient to rapidly find something, right?
    10-09-12 11:31 PM
    Meaning... ? Download from my PC? Apparently I must be on wi-fi in order to save my contact list, no?

Diegonei, looking at DocsToGo (one of the icons on the PB tablet) I see at the top four headings: Pictures, Video, Music and Documents. Are you saying that under Documents or any of the other headings one can only get a long list and not subfolders? If that is the case it isn't too convenient to rapidly find something, right?
    Sorry, I may be understanding this whole request incorrectly. Are you looking to make folders for the icons on the playbook desktop/ home screen, or some kind of folders for your contact groups?
    10-09-12 11:37 PM

No... It's just plain simple annoying. It may be okay for non tech savvy people, but the average user can handle folders (most of times hehe).

pacoman once noted that using . and _ on the search field allows to mote to bottom and top of the list though. I guess that helps some.

2:37am here. Hope you don't mind if I don't post on the contact issue in details. Long story short, the PlayBook will sync contacts from your accounts (twitter/facebook/linkedin/email). If names and emails match, it will merge so you don't have diegonei@email.com, @diegonei and Diego Nei, MBA, PMP under three different entries, but most of the time, you'll have to do it manually. And so fat, you can't sort them in folders or categories.
    10-10-12 12:41 AM

Unfortunately - that is a correct interpretation. When you "tap" on DOCUMENTS, every xxx.doc, yyy.doc, will be in the list - if you have 20 or 200 or 2,000. EVEN if you have placed then in subfolders like Business, Personal, Misc, Letters, etc or even if you have created Folders for each letter of the alphabet - like Folder A, Folder B, ..... Folder Z. All in one list. Yes, it is more than inconvenient - it is stupid. Same thing happens if you want to Attach a file or files to an email. ONE LONG LIST.

Some work arounds are to use some of the File Managers. They can show the separate folders and some of them will launch the apppropriate app if you point to a file.
    10-10-12 08:36 AM
    Both "Files and folders" and "File Browser" applications are very efficient for photo management, including handling into separate folders.
    "File Browser" is definitely twice faster upon startup; I still bought "File and Folders" afterwards just because of its ability to do slides shows, precisely, from one single folder (the Playbook thing sometimes does handle subfolders, and sometimes just not, in a manner that I wasn't able to control in months).
    F&F additionally offers possibilities to connect to cloud services like DropBox (that you of course can ignore); FB instead handles ftp (also as just an option).
    The free Air browser does show photo names but not previews, which for me is just a no-go.
    There are plenty of other file browsers, most of them coming from Android ports: Open Explorer (very slow with photos), SFile manager, Open Explorer, Ghost Commander... but IMHO they are not on par with the above as concerns photo handling.
    10-10-12 09:06 AM
    Thanks everyone for your input. Pickles02 I have OS.2.1.0.1032, so I think that is the latest download at this point. I think my question has evoked answers not unlike those "blind men and the camel" in that they are all right in a way but still have not answered my question, at least directly. So I will attempt to clarify what I would like to do.

First, I am a newbie (and I really mean I have no prior experience with tablets or smartphones although I have been a computer user for many years). Now here is what I would like to achieve:

!. Folders
    I don't care how it is done but the simpler the better. Later, as I become more proficient with the PB I can change things and get an app that can do things better. I want to create folders and subfolders (if possible) similar to Microsoft Windows Explorer. I do not want to see a long list of all kinds of files under one heading. Example: I do not want to see "Internet articles" and "Places to stay" or "restaurants" all under one file heading or folder. Reason is that it is so much easier to find and retrieve those files when in separate folders. That is obvious.

2. Contacts or email list
    I was able to synchronize, using wi-fi of course, all my incoming and outgoing email from my iMac computer. Great! So now I have some email addresses from that, but I want to create new email lists. So, under "accounts" I want to add a new account and that brings me to another screen "Email, Calendar and Contacts." There are two boxes here, the first asks for an Email address and the second box asks for a Password. For my own account I filled those two boxes and that was OK. To add another account do I just type in a friend's email address in the first box (Email Address) and leave the second box (Password) blank? There may be a better way to achieve this but, for now, will the above work?

Please respond as directly as possible to my above questions. Thanks. This forum has been very helpful and without it I am lost.
    Last edited by 312Lorden; 10-11-12 at 07:10 PM.
    10-11-12 06:36 PM
    OK looks like I found the Blackberry site demonstrating how to add to Contact list. Now, I need to find answers posed above about Folders.
    10-11-12 11:36 PM
    [QUOTE=Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes;7670052]1. To create a folder tap down on an icon and hold. The icon will start to pulsate within 2 seconds or so. Drag that item ontop of another item you want in that folder. The items are now in a new folder. Drag other items into the folder as needed.

Could you give me an example and which app to begin with?
    10-19-12 02:41 PM
    [QUOTE=312Lorden;7685163]

Could you give me an example and which app to begin with?
    If this pertains to Folders containing icons on the main screen (or other panels): Press and hold an icon till they all blink. Drag any game you have over the icon of another game - that should create a folder containing those two games- when you do this, you also have an opportunity to Name or Rename that folder to, say, GAMES.
    10-19-12 04:05 PM