Two items:

** Every time I upgrade software, I get another entry in MyWorld and two icons on my PB home screen. If I try to delete one or uninstall one, both disappear. Plus, it doesn't seem to remember that I DID the upgrades and keeps asking me to upgrade again.

** When I connect the PB to my computer, Zone Alarm recognizes it as a "new network"...not once but 2-3 times, each with a different IP address.

Ideas?

Apologies if these have been asked already - I searched but didn't find similar issues.
    05-11-11 06:41 PM
    You are being forced to upgrade again (usually with a very small update, same OS) because you are deleting 'core apps' that come preloaded with the Playbook. Kobo reader, NFS, Slacker, etc...

Zone Alarm? Hmmm, sorry, didn't see that before. Are you using the free version or the one with Social Guard included?
    Zone Alarm 6?
    Last edited by Oniberry; 05-11-11 at 07:35 PM.
    05-11-11 07:30 PM
    You are being forced to upgrade again (usually with a very small update, same OS) because you are deleting 'core apps' that come preloaded with the Playbook. Kobo reader, NFS, Slacker, etc...
    I don't think the OP was referring to an OS upgrade but an upgrade to an app. I had the same thing happen today. AppWorld said that one of my apps had an upgrade available. After I downloaded it I had two copies in App World denoted as "installed" and two icons on my PB. Deleted one and they both went away. Did a reinstall and back to the one icon. Seems like something glitchy with App World.
    05-11-11 09:41 PM
    Ditto here dc for a few of my media apps.
    05-11-11 10:05 PM
    Sometimes app world will show two versions of the same app. It has happened to me in the past, or I will download an app, and it will hang, and not show up as installed, but the icon is on my homescreen and I cannot access it.

I used to kill WiFi and then connect to my network and open App world again, but RIM said that a restart will also fix the dual app errors.
    05-12-11 12:06 AM
    Will try a restart now, thanks...

I have Zone Alarm Extreme Security, version 9.

Another weird network issue...I connected the PB to my work pc to charge it, then tried to connect to my company wireless. It blocked me because I needed to 'remove the ethernet cable'. I didn't have an ethernet cable connected. Disconnected the PB and everything ran fine. Somehow, my PB is being recognized as a NETWORK???
    05-13-11 07:17 PM
    Restart didn't help. Took a risk and upgraded Defense Station, now I have THREE icons for it!

(gotta figure out how to embed images....)
    Last edited by Trelaina; 05-13-11 at 07:32 PM. Reason: picture upload fail
    05-13-11 07:27 PM
    I do LOVE the screenshot function...

Attachment 86692

Attachment 86693
    05-13-11 07:36 PM
    I've got ZA Extreme on all my computers, and the same thing happens - the PB gets recognized as a "new network" everytime I plug it in via the USB. I'm not really sure why it does this, but I just click "allow in trusted zone" or whatever the option is and keep going... With that said, I usually just connect over wi-fi, so it doesn't bother me too much.
    05-13-11 08:28 PM
    I've had that happen with a couple of newspaper apps. Just delete all but one then do a restart. It solved it for me, but I still occassionally get it because it has to do with the way an app is written when they do an upgrade, I think.
    05-14-11 01:46 PM
    Yah. This seems to be a bug.
    Every time RIM gives the 'small' OS upgrades the old icons (mostly) come back and sometimes doubling up on app icons. Tho, I never noticed it when I just upgrade an app.
    Maybe that is their gift.
    Last edited by mandony; 05-14-11 at 02:19 PM.
    05-14-11 02:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD