Can somebody help me.
    ive been trying to do the same thing, setting my work email to my playbook. however, each time it tells me the following:
    Start TLS is configured with the server mail (my own work server mail) for IMAP, but the connection attempt failed, change SSL to ON or OFF in your settings and try again [TLS not supported by server)

Any help

thanks i appreciate it
    02-25-12 10:23 AM
    Acemeister79's advice
    Set up as imap server per Goonegoogoo's instruction BUT -- SET IT UP FROM THE VERY FIRST SCREEN (where PB searches online for Telus, click on the Advanced button at lower left, then follow the below instructions). TURN OFF PUSH, too! (I turned the push back on and it still seems to work. Try it out.)

Goonegoogoo's advice
    Set up as imap:
    Server Address > imap.telus.net
    Port > 143
    Encryption > off
    SMTP Username and PW left blank.
    SMTP Server Address > smtp.telus.net
    SMTP Port > 25
    SMTP Encryption > off

This seems to work for me.
    Last edited by ninepbs; 02-26-12 at 01:13 AM.
    malcerie likes this.
    02-25-12 05:35 PM
    Set up as imap.
    Port > 143
    Encryption > off
    SMTP Port > 25
    SMTP Encryption > off

Hope this helps some.
    Acemeister79's advice
    Set up as imap server per Goonegoogoo's instruction BUT -- SET IT UP FROM THE VERY FIRST SCREEN (where PB searches online for Telus, click on the Advanced button at lower left, then follow the below instructions). TURN OFF PUSH, too!

Goonegoogoo's advice
    Set up as imap:
    Port > 143
    Encryption > off
    SMTP Port > 25
    SMTP Encryption > off

This seems for me.

Woo Hoo, This worked perfect for me too. Thank You.
    02-25-12 06:42 PM
    Finally!

Got it to work.

Username: This is the user number that was assigned many, many years ago a3a***** without any @telus.net
    E-Mail & password as expected.
    Server imap.telus.net
    Port 143
    Encryption off
    SMTP Username and password blank
    SMTP.telus.net
    Port 25
    SMTP encryption off
    Push off

What is important to note is that these same settings fail if you use the default set-up route. Must go to advanced set-up from first screen.

Judging from the error message it would seem that even though the screen says "Off" the playbook is set to StartTLS.
    02-26-12 07:13 PM
    Still cannot get my Telus email accounts setup on the PB, read every post on the CB forum and tried every solution offered including some of my own… Even did a security wipe which did not help one iota. Being that I’ve setup these accounts up more times than enough it can be assured that I do know what to do and the information required, it shouldn’t take a rocket scientist to figure it out.

If anyone has a suggestion other than the ones already posted please feel free to recommend, so dang frustrated (and I mean flaming mad) now that the thing has been put back into its resting place and probably won’t come back out until there is something worthy of trying… Could be a loooooong time.

Error message: "The server for account (input name here) - [email protected] (smtp.telus.net, port xx) can't be reached. The settings might be incorrect or the server could be temporarily offline. Check your settings and try again."

I've tried every combo possible that would be considered the norm so???
    Last edited by slivy58; 02-26-12 at 11:34 PM.
    jay_vw likes this.
    02-26-12 11:19 PM
    ya absolutely no combination has allowed me to add my telus account.....again, I primarily use my 9810 for mail, but its odd that telus wont work.....
    02-27-12 03:16 PM
    ya absolutely no combination has allowed me to add my telus account.....again, I primarily use my 9810 for mail, but its odd that telus wont work.....
    I've been having the same problem until today. All this time I've been trying to add it on my network at home. Came to the public library today, and using their wifi it added both my Telus accounts immediately.

What a relief!
    02-27-12 04:16 PM
    I've been having the same problem until today. All this time I've been trying to add it on my network at home. Came to the public library today, and using their wifi it added both my Telus accounts immediately.

What a relief!
    Sounds like your home router was the issue....stupid Telus....lol

Sent from my BlackBerry PlayBook using Tapatalk
    02-27-12 06:37 PM
    SNIP---
    Error message: "The server for account (input name here) - [email protected] (smtp.telus.net, port xx) can't be reached. The settings might be incorrect or the server could be temporarily offline. Check your settings and try again."--end SNIP
    (caps for emphasis...)
    Every person who has provided feedback on how to successfully do this has been clear - DO NOT PUT ANYTHING IN THE SMTP USERNAME AND PASSWORD FIELDS... Check again that you have those fields blanked out.

It does work, mine worked after I had made the mistake about trying to authenticate to the SMTP server. After I read and interpreted the error (the same message you are getting, quoted above), removed the SMTP entries (not the server of course) it worked and has worked like a charm for a week. If it doesn't, there's something else going on at your location. If you haven't rebooted your res gateway in a while, perhaps try that. And finally - have you rebooted your PB yet?

Hope this helps - that's the intention.
    02-27-12 09:20 PM
    When setting up your Telus account, with the default information for SMTP make sure you are actually on the Telus network as most other networks block outgoing network traffic on port 25. If you will be sending email through your Telus account from networks other than Telus, then use port 587 for SMTP without a user name and password.
    02-27-12 11:08 PM
    mikey t's info worked for me. greatly appreciated!
    03-01-12 10:06 PM
    Telus has the worst tech support. I had difficulties setting up email on my Torch 9800 and called Telus for help. All the suggestions that were given to me over the phone led to nothing. I finally got the info I needed from a Google search I did while waiting on the phone for the Telus tech to come up with yet another fruitless idea. The moment my email worked, I told her I had figured it out and hung up.
    Last edited by Gooneegoogoo; 03-07-12 at 02:24 AM.
    03-07-12 02:18 AM
    When setting up your Telus account, with the default information for SMTP make sure you are actually on the Telus network as most other networks block outgoing network traffic on port 25. If you will be sending email through your Telus account from networks other than Telus, then use port 587 for SMTP without a user name and password.
    In addition to this, if you are outside the Telus network perhaps traveling out of the country. Leave the imap settings the same but change the smtp settings to match the isp that your Internet connection is using. To do this find your ip address and do a whois to find out the provider then go to their website or search for their smtp email settings. It should work then.

I'm currently in India and that's what worked for me.
    03-07-12 06:42 AM
    Thanks Mikey!
    09-29-12 04:14 PM
    This got my telus email workin.
    03-24-13 09:55 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD