Hello PlayBook Users,
    I am using the native email client on my playbook and observed that even when email client is closed, I get new email notifications (LED and top left corner becoming red). I read that many people keep their email clients running all the time so I wanted to know if keeping the email client running all the time makes quicker email notifications without any delay. And if not, what's the point in keeping it running when I can get the notifications otherwise as well?
    And, as a second question, how much it affects the battery life leaving the email client running all the time compared to closing it every time after reading/replying/composing the emails?
    Thanks in advance.
    08-29-12 08:40 AM
    I think the only reason to keep it open (since you still get the notice even if closed) is that you have INSTANT access rather than having to open the app.

As long as you do not have excess battery drain while in standby (you should only lose about 3-4% overnight), then it should not matter. There have been some issues with Hotmail and Manual Sync causing excess battery drain. So, if battery drain overnight (or during the day when otherwise not being used) is okay, then don't worry about it.

Others may have other advice. Let's see what others reply.
    diegonei and usedberry like this.
    08-29-12 09:20 AM
    I think the only reason to keep it open (since you still get the notice even if closed) is that you have INSTANT access rather than having to open the app.

As long as you do not have excess battery drain while in standby (you should only lose about 3-4% overnight), then it should not matter. There have been some issues with Hotmail and Manual Sync causing excess battery drain. So, if battery drain overnight (or during the day when otherwise not being used) is okay, then don't worry about it.

Others may have other advice. Let's see what others reply.
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, i don't have much battery drain while in standby (2-3% overnight). So, in this case, your suggestion is that I can leave the email client running all the time? I'm using only Gmail accounts (3 accounts).
    Thanks again.
    08-29-12 11:04 AM
    The only app I generally leave running is Battery Guru but I'm not totally fastidious about closing anything other than running videos or games or stuff I know burns through the battery. Keeping the backlight lower can save battery while using the pb.
    usedberry likes this.
    08-29-12 11:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD