I think we have to remember that Desktop Manager was initially meant for Blackberry phones and not the PlayBook. With the bigger storage capacity of the PlayBook, not to mention a different OS, there might be compatability issues.

None the less it is still and issue that needs to be resolved.

You are able to move your pictures off your PlayBook onto a computer are you not? Would hate to see you delete 14000 pictures and not be able to get them back again.

Mike
    No problem, they (and many more!) are all safely stored on my home server.
    10-21-11 01:03 PM
    He's my story.

I went to back up data on my PB (1.0.7). I clicked custom and I had 44 total apps to back up. It was something like 1.XXGb or soemthing. I don't download a crap load of apps, just the apps from big names like acrobat, gameloft etc. and I was able to back up just fine. It went through without a hitch. Tooks about 11 minutes to back up. I also deleted all the video i uploaded and PDF files before I backed up.
    10-21-11 01:07 PM
    I know that that is how it SHOULD go. But when I start the backup process in DM, after checking 'Custom', the program never gets as far as showing me the data types. I get the "Loading of backup content failed" error message, and then the backup program quits. I've left it for 10 minutes, and it NEVER shows data types for selection.
    Exactly the issue I've run into. It will not get to the "choose" which stuff to back up. It errors before that point. Hmm. The post before this mentions something I may look at - I've got a one video that's over 2gigs by itself.
    fastartcee likes this.
    10-21-11 02:56 PM
    I gave up on creating a backup, and took the plunge into OS2 Beta. So far everything (well, almost everything) seems to be working.)

A big thanks to everyone who contributed to the thread! (Which can now be closed.)
    10-21-11 08:07 PM
    Note that, twice now, I've lost the ability to back up on a pre-beta PlayBook (once around 1.0.3 and another time around 1.0.6 or 7). It worked at first, then eventually did not. I theorize it relates to how many apps have been installed (not just quantity though).

Just saying that, because although a fresh 2.0 beta backs up fine, I quite expect it to fail at some point after enough crap is on it. Maybe they've really fixed something, but at the moment I can think of no reason to believe that.
    10-21-11 09:29 PM
    hi all, glad to find this thread, so i know that i'm not alone

I'm trying to do my first back up, always failed with the message "make sure the device connected.."

i have reinstalling the DM, hardreset the PB, but still had the same problem.
    10-24-11 06:13 AM
    Thanks everyone for confirming the problem with the PB backup, yes I was able to do a custom back up (excluding media). Grrrr very frustrating. Had to manually transfer files (photos and videos from my PB to my computer.
    10-29-11 07:03 PM
    Having read through this thread and working on all suggestions... it still don't work!! Can back up my Torch but not the Playbook. Tried 3 fingered salutes (not easy on a PB), one finger salutes, uninstalling, downloading reinstalling... Figured what the ****, I called them. Young man who did truly try to help but I was placed on hold several times while he conferred with a colleague. No full backup didn't work. No custom doesn't work either. Thus "we" concluded that the fault lies in an app that has become corrupted therefore hanging the process somewheres along the way. If custom did work I could of troubleshooted and perhaps found the culprit.

His solution is to do a wipe and once its back up to the latest 1.07 try backup again with no new apps. Then go to app world and all my apps would there waiting to be downloaded again. The fact that I have an eight digit case number scrawled on paper is somewhat reasurring that all will work out well.

That said I will take a deep breath and wipe it clean and start over. Shouldn't take too terribly long...

On another note at the end of the converation he asked if I had any other questions. Sure, why can't I have 2.0. He stammered out an answer til I said its ok, I know why! I asked you seen it played with it is it worth the wait? He said with a ... yes. For what its' worth, it made me smile.
    peter9477 likes this.
    10-29-11 11:55 PM
    SLLOCK:

Let us know how wipe/restore works and whether you can Backup after that process. I can't do any backup (full or selective). I will wind up losing some apps and my settings (bookmarks, etc). So I keep putting off the wipe.
    10-30-11 09:12 AM
    So after backing up all I could via drag and drop I took the plunge. Half an hour and I was back to where I was except for the apps and I still have to transfer all my files back. Hooked up to BB desktop and YES it worked. I can do backups.

When I opened App World there they all were under the uninstalled tab in MY World. The wipe even killed my Need for Speed app but there it was for the downloading. Looking at the list I can now selectively reinstall my favorites and over the next day or too it seems I will have a revitalized machine.

One thing I have noticed lately is how slow App World was to load to the Featured page and My World as well. Now its like there, now! No more lag waiting for a download to begin. As a whole my Playbook seems quicker and more responsive. Guess it did clear up some clutter. Shoulda done it sooner.
    10-30-11 10:03 AM
    Thanks for posting back. I will contemplate a bit more before blowing it all away, I guess. Restoring my music/video/etc will take hours.
    10-30-11 11:26 AM
    I was hoping that someone had come up with a solution, I backed up my PB on Tues. (1/10) and today (1/15) it won't, it connects and gets to the "preparing to back up" point and the PB says it's backing up, but then it comes back and says it can't do it. I may just wait until the OS2 update comes out (I'm using 1.0.8.6067) and see if that fixes it, I don't want to wipe it and then restore everything.
    01-15-12 04:30 PM
    What new apps have you installed since the last backup?

I believe that the RECIPE app has been pulled (don't recall its proper name). The other one(s) implicated are the XXX-country/city on-device gps apps. The apps are not really the problem but rim's software does not handle either larger or too many files in the app suite very well.

Also you can try turning off wifi and bt and enabling Developer Mode in the Security settings.
    01-15-12 05:25 PM
    F2 - The only ones were "SpeedTest" and I went from the free version to the paid version of "My Password Vault." I'll give your suggestions a whirl and report back. Thanks for the tips!
    01-15-12 06:02 PM
    Update: I did what you suggested, no dice. Everything worked as before (post #37). Thanks for trying.
    01-15-12 06:10 PM
    I wonder if it has to do with the amount being backed up. I'm only trying to backup about 2.3Gb and a full backup fails every time and a custom backup fails if i choose everything on the list. if i backup each piece individually and each piece is only about 1Gb or less, it seems to work ok.

Maybe the reason your custom backups are failing while reading whats on hour PB is because your data is so big, that it fails while trying to read because it takes too long.

Mike
    I regularly back up my 64 GB PB. The total amount of data is ~8.6 GB. I've not had the back up issue happen (knock wood). I can't see any individual file cause an error before it lets you select the type of backup. To fastartcee: I would recommend calling RIM customer support, if you're still in the window for free tech support.
    Bob31464 likes this.
    01-15-12 06:16 PM
    I regularly back up my 64 GB PB. The total amount of data is ~8.6 GB. I've not had the back up issue happen (knock wood). I can't see any individual file cause an error before it lets you select the type of backup. To fastartcee: I would recommend calling RIM customer support, if you're still in the window for free tech support.
    I'll probably do that tomorrow, I've got plenty of time left on my free customer support. Thanks!
    01-15-12 07:10 PM
    I got it to back up finally. I had to do it through the custom setting, backing up each area individually but at least it worked. It doesn't make sense though. Probably still gonna call RIM tech support.
    01-15-12 09:31 PM
    Glad you got it going finally.

Peter thinks there may be a timeout function - the back is actually a huge ZIP file containing folders of settings and apps. So it needs to compress the files for various apps and it may churn away at its task and maybe times out if the computer is doing something else or some compression runs too long or ..... All guesses appreciated!
    apg300 and Bob31464 like this.
    01-15-12 10:38 PM
    Glad you got it going finally.

Peter thinks there may be a timeout function - the back is actually a huge ZIP file containing folders of settings and apps. So it needs to compress the files for various apps and it may churn away at its task and maybe times out if the computer is doing something else or some compression runs too long or ..... All guesses appreciated!
    This was what it felt like when it happened to me. It did seem like it was timing out. Thanks for sharing. I hope it gets noticed and fixed by RIM. This problem seems to be more of a "rite of passage" for new Playbook owners.
    On a lighter note though, it was this problem that led me to Crackberry, so I guess I should also be thankful.
    FF22 and peter9477 like this.
    01-16-12 12:10 AM
    hi all, glad to find this thread, so i know that i'm not alone

I'm trying to do my first back up, always failed with the message "make sure the device connected.."

i have reinstalling the DM, hardreset the PB, but still had the same problem.
    I am having the same problem as well. It let me back up my settings in Custom, but when I try the Apps, after about 60mb I get the error message.

Wondering if it has to do with a certain app installed on the Playbook.

Regards
    01-16-12 04:08 PM
    Had the same problem with backup. Last backup was Nov 23rd. I tired removing apps, pic and restarting which all failed. So i did a security wipe and began again after reloading the desktop manager and manually backing up my music and documents. After the security wipe i did the update of the OS and then a a backup which was successful. Then I reinstalled my apps first then did a media restore of data from a date prior to my 23rd back up. Tired a backup again and eureka it worked. Backup the playbook 3 times since then just to reaffirm that it was working and lucky for me everything has been going well so far. By the way if you bought your playbook in the US and did a wipe in another country you may not have the music store. You will have to find a wifi network with a US IP address to get the music store app back when doing the wipe and updating the OS. Even after all this I'm loving the playbook!!!
    01-17-12 11:22 PM
    I just posted this in the thread "Today's lesson - backups" before I saw this thread. At the risk of repeating, it seems more appropriate here.

My PlayBook hasn't backed up since June. I don't have the recipe app that some people have identified as a problem, but I do remember trying to delete native AOL or Hotmail app (didn't let me) early on, which is another theory. I just purchased a 64GB with the sale and am giving my 32GB to my husband, so I decided it was time to deal with the backup problem. Last night, in the middle of the night, I called the Playbook Technical Support line at (877) 644-8410. A very helpful person answered and quickly realized I needed to be bumped to the next level. The second person worked with me for about 2 hours: updated BB Desktop, tried various things. In the end he said to drag-and-drop all my files from PB to PC (which is how I've been backing up my files since June) and that someone else would call me back today because his shift would be over. Another person called me back at exactly the agreed time and he also spent a long time. He logged into my computer and watched the errors (can't back up full or custom), looked at Desktop Manager log files, and in the end I emailed him the log files and sent a report from my PlayBook. You can only send the report if you already have an incident number, so you have to call support first. Report is sent from the PB by going to the Help icon and clicking Support Tools in the upper right.

The tech said he'll call me back today and hopes to have a solution after the analysis of the Desktop Manager logs and PB report, which he sent "upstairs". He said they're very seriously looking into this issue and really want to resolve it. You may be able to spend a lot less time with tech support if the tech can't solve your problem and you tell him/her you want to send them your DM logs and PB report, if he doesn't ask. The more data they get, the better chance they have of identifying the problem.
    01-18-12 02:07 AM
    I thought I would add that I've not changed much of anything on my computer or the pb other than add some new apps. But France-on device maps is still there.

I've been able to do TWO backups about 3 days apart including one about an hour ago. They are selective (as I never want my media backed up by DM).

So, has adding more apps changed some internal index. Has my desktop computer been running or not running something that has allowed DM to complete its mission? Who the heck knows.............
    01-18-12 12:29 PM
    well, I'm headed back to exchange my PB. I totally love it, except for the red peeking out of the top left corner on the homescreen and the dust under the glass.

I sure hope I don't have to post again in this forum after trading it...

good luck to all...
    01-18-12 12:32 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD