So just today my playbook screen has begun distorting and flickering when I press on the back. Will RIM replace this? Is this at all common? If someone requests il posta video.
    Last edited by Meltbox360; 10-27-11 at 08:12 PM.
    10-27-11 12:17 PM
    So just today my playbook screen has begun distorting and flickering when I press on the back. Will RIM replace this? Is this at all common? If someone requests il posta video.
    This is definitely not common. I suggest taking it back to the store for replacement and/or contacting RIM.
    meltbox360 likes this.
    10-27-11 12:20 PM
    Do you think bestbuy will replace it? Ive had it for a while. Since the day after launch.
    10-27-11 12:33 PM
    Best option is to contact RIM directly, they will check it and if it is defect on their part they will replace it w/ a new one
    1-877-644-8410

Good luck,
    meltbox360 likes this.
    10-27-11 12:37 PM
    Do you think bestbuy will replace it? Ive had it for a while. Since the day after launch.
    Not likely given the time lapse unless you bought an extended warranty from bestbuy. But, depending on circumstances, it would still still covered by RIM's 1-yr warranty. I say "depending on circumstances" because water-damage is a distinct possibility. Was the device ever exposed to a damp location - for example your pocket on a hot day?
    meltbox360 likes this.
    10-27-11 12:44 PM
    Stop pressing on the back.
    10-27-11 12:59 PM
    Stop pressing on the back.
    Stop being so helpful.
    10-27-11 01:02 PM
    Its been in a bathroom while a shower was taken but this is a different problem. If i hold it and am not careful it turns off the screen and distorts. Like a loose ribbon cable.

Also if i press hard it doesnt flicker. Only a light pushon the back, like holding pressure.

I will either post back here about the process or start a new thread. The world shall learn of RIMs RMA process!!! Hopefully its a good one.
    Last edited by Meltbox360; 10-27-11 at 02:13 PM.
    10-27-11 01:56 PM
    The OP's problem has never been described on this site to my knowledge. I would suggest trying the RIM warranty.
    10-27-11 02:14 PM
    I am in disbelief. First off I called close to 7:00 PM and they PICKED UP! It was someone who was clearly either from the United States or Canada and they handled everything brilliantly. Even offered to stay on the line for 40 minutes to make sure that the playbook reinstall with desktop manager went smoothly. 0.o I am pleasantly amazed. This has so far actually topped my experience with apple. I do hope the rest of the process is like this because if it is then Apple's got nothing on RIM.
    BuzzStarField and bpdude like this.
    10-27-11 08:12 PM
    I am in disbelief. First off I called close to 7:00 PM and they PICKED UP! It was someone who was clearly either from the United States or Canada and they handled everything brilliantly. Even offered to stay on the line for 40 minutes to make sure that the playbook reinstall with desktop manager went smoothly. 0.o I am pleasantly amazed. This has so far actually topped my experience with apple. I do hope the rest of the process is like this because if it is then Apple's got nothing on RIM.
    So it wasn't a hardware problem after all and a re-install fixed it? Great news!
    10-27-11 08:39 PM
    So it wasn't a hardware problem after all and a re-install fixed it? Great news!
    Unfortunately its hardware. I will post my full experience with the RMA in another thread but so far its been on par with RMAs with Newegg, and Newegg is fantastic.
    10-27-11 09:28 PM
    With one notable exception (which I think worked out in the end), there have been some pretty positive posts about RIM's RMA process.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...rocess-635345/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ge-rma-660322/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ations-652136/

Hope your PlayBook is up and running soon, or that a replacement is on its way.
    10-27-11 09:30 PM
    Sorry didin't mean to be a smart a** just joking as I had to run off somewhere and it was the best I could do

My guess is that something inside got loose internally or was never assembled correctly and the pressure against the screen in front bent the display to cause odd distortion effects - as it would when you press on the screen of some monitors. Seeing the distortion pattern might help determine the cause...so i would confirm that sending it back was the correct course of action unless you wanted to take the thing apart - not recommended.
    10-27-11 10:14 PM
    No problem blackjack but I never know when your serious haha. I suspect its a ribbon cable though since the distortion is boxlike and only happens when pressing on the back and not the front. I can tell you that my playbook to have less of a bulge on the back then it did when new. I'm guessing something bent, I'd have to check ifixit.
    10-28-11 08:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD