first of all ive never owned a bb before this is my first i usually go for samsung( my phone is a galaxy s)
    I want to send receive pictures and music through bluetooth from my phone
    i have a wifi printer which was sold to me with my playbook and i cant work out how to send photos to it and thw website tells me my bbpb os isnt compatible
    i told the guy in the shop what i wanted to do with it he advised me on the pb and said it didnt matter if i didnt have a bb phone !
    what am i doing wrong is it even possible to do these things with this pb ???
    12-16-11 05:46 PM
    You need a BB phone to transfer pictures between the devices via bluetooth. Even with a BB you can't transfer music.
    There are a few printers(hp I think) that allow you to email your printer and print. I don't know what you have.
    You can probably tether your phone to the PB for internet access but you must make sure the feature is on your data plan. If internet is not really that important to you then you really can't do anything your trying to do. I would pay a visit to that store.
    polly69 likes this.
    12-16-11 06:11 PM
    I am not a 100% sure but I think that will be changed when the BIG update comes out. The reason I think that is because when I first got my BB Playbook I tried the same thing. I was able to pair my Playbook and Android together. And after that it did not allow me click connect device. I just got the latest version of the beta 0.2 and now it allows me to click it but says make sure device is discoverable. So maybe BB is changing it when the update comes out????

See in the picture how it has the dark outline around it? And I can click it. Before I got this update it was not clickable. Its hard to explain.
    polly69 likes this.
    12-16-11 06:24 PM
    he asked me if i had a bb phone i told him i didnt and he said it didnt really matter just would be easier to connect to the net whilst out of a hot spot, my printer is an hp eprint something or other one. ive tried to tether with my galaxy but it wont let me :O( looks like ive bee miss sold my playbook and ill be taking it back, oh it also freezes and i cant turn it off even if i hold the power button , it froze last night and was still frozen this morning till the battery died, bliddy thing wish id never bought it thanks for your reply though chadface
    12-16-11 06:28 PM
    While some of us may not be able to help - post the type of printer and its model number. Someone may have more info.

At the moment, the Playbook (pb) does not support the ordinary Bluetooth (bt) transfer protocols so you canNOT just send things between the pb and other bt devices. So between your non-bb phone and pb - you canNOT transfer unless you use a computer in the middle or if you email from your phone to a web email like gmail and then use the pb's wifi and open gmail and grab the attachments.
    polly69 likes this.
    12-16-11 06:31 PM
    I think the eprint printers are the ones that allow printing from email. Your printer should be assigned an email address. When you email that address it will print. Sorry I can't help beyond that. I don't think the PB is the best fit for you.
    polly69 likes this.
    12-16-11 06:34 PM
    its a hp photosmart 5510 e all in one, im probably just better taking it back. Its a ball ache sending my pics to fb so i can download them to my pb cos thats the only way i can work out how to get them on it, other than taking the pics with the pb and so on, its easier just to use my phone for my pics and music. dont suppose you know of a tablet that does what i want it to , do you?
    12-16-11 06:48 PM
    Try a Samsung forum to see what other galaxy users think. I don't know about that printer. If it's a wifi printer it should work a few different devices. Good luck
    polly69 likes this.
    12-16-11 06:52 PM
    Your playbook will look like a usb drive if you plug it into your computer via usb. You can drag pics / folders etc over easily.
    If you follow the getting started instructions it should guide you through setting your playbook up as a network drive.

Then you can drag file to/from the playbook without plugging it in.
    polly69 likes this.
    12-16-11 07:32 PM
    From a quick visit to two sites, it appears that you MAY need an app on the device to print to it but it does also mention email.

HP Printers - HP Photosmart 5510 e-All-in-One

HP Photosmart 5510 e-All-in-One Printer (CQ176B)

In the following link there is this reference:

HP PhotoSmart 5510 e-All-in-One Review & Rating | PCMag.com

There are some other threads mentioning this email print ability but I don't know anything about it

"The 5510 supports HP’s ePrint: You can e-mail files as attachments to a unique address that HP assigns to the printer, and it will print out the e-mail and files. "
    jafobabe, polly69 and Rafkin like this.
    12-16-11 11:34 PM
    hmmm
    12-17-11 08:20 AM
    I see Bestbuy has the printer available. I'm curious but maybe not that curious...

On sale for $70 (US)
    12-17-11 11:29 AM
    its a hp photosmart 5510 e all in one, im probably just better taking it back. Its a ball ache sending my pics to fb so i can download them to my pb cos thats the only way i can work out how to get them on it, other than taking the pics with the pb and so on, its easier just to use my phone for my pics and music. dont suppose you know of a tablet that does what i want it to , do you?
    If you had taken some time, a very few minutes as it turns out, you would have learned exactly how to send photographs to your new Hewlett-Packard PhotoSmart 5510 printer.
    12-17-11 03:49 PM
    I didn't seem to me to OP wanted to figure out anything. Sending pictures and music between galaxy and PB was a no go.
    Rafkin likes this.
    12-17-11 03:59 PM
    We do have to accept that some folks do not have the technical where-with-all to figure some of this stuff out or the general interest of tweakers and futzers.

I am the tech person for about 3 or 4 friends. One is a great accountant, another a great technical climber - computers - don't have the interest.

You start telling people to futz with router wifi settings or figure out how to set up a printer to receive email and they will glaze over.

And just this morning, Covad and I were on the phone for 45 minutes. I lost my isp. I turned off.on dsl modem, I turned off/on router, I rebooted both computer and pb. Nothing. I went into router settings and re-tweaked. They had me recreate the connection, re-enter name/password (or isp connection), reboot, take router out of loop. Reset numerous times on their end. On my end.

Finally, "try it now" YES!!! I asked what? "Oh, sometimes somethings just act up!!!!" REAL technical answer.

(I will say, that some of those non-techs probably have better vacuuming abilities than me - boy, the dust on these little accessed modems and routers and cables!!!!!)
    lotuslanderz likes this.
    12-17-11 05:28 PM
    thanks everyone, ive had another play today and ive worked out the printer and set it up to receive the email printing and tested it from the lap top everything is set up fine. I downloaded hotmail *thats the email address im using* to my playbook . I sent a typed email and it printed fine then i thought id push the boat out and try to send a pic, but when i look for the attach file or photo its not there i can only send worded email so i decided to try a copy and paste as an option, i find i can copy just fine but cant paste to an email so im a step closer lol can anyone shed any light on it for me plzz ive dusted the cobwebs and hooverd round but its still a little dusty lol,, thanks in advance
    12-17-11 06:08 PM
    I see Bestbuy has the printer available. I'm curious but maybe not that curious...

On sale for $70 (US)
    im impressed with the printer now its set up right i got it for �29.99 down from �49.99.
    it has app on it so you can print all sorts of stuff from it, my grandson loves it e`s constantly popping round to print coloring pages and word puzzles off from the apps
    FF22 likes this.
    12-17-11 06:13 PM
    I don't have a hotmail account but make sure your using the full site and not the mobile. Should be an option down at the bottom of the page. Mobile sites don't always give the option to attach a file.

And I should apologize for under estimating your willingness to dig deeper.
    polly69 likes this.
    12-17-11 06:20 PM
    I don't have a hotmail account but make sure your using the full site and not the mobile. Should be an option down at the bottom of the page. Mobile sites don't always give the option to attach a file.

And I should apologize for under estimating your willingness to dig deeper.
    That's exactly right. polly69 you need to scroll down to the bottom of the hotmail screen and tap on "pc site". Now when you tap on new message, you have the option to add an attachment.
    polly69 likes this.
    12-17-11 06:32 PM
    no need to apologize chaddface i was tired and acting like a brat i scrolled to the bottom of the hotmail and set the setting to pc and have now successfully printed a picture from my Blackberry Playbook yeah go me, thanks you both so much for your help and no doubt i will be back if i run into a dusty corner again
    12-17-11 06:47 PM
    Also, it's nice to know that this time, the sales person did not steer you wrong. That printer can work with the playbook.
    polly69 likes this.
    12-17-11 08:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD