Hello everyone.

I'm new to the forum and just bought a playbook 64GB. I know you'll hate me, but I am a pretty strong supporter of Android. I have a nexus S and it suits my needs just fine. I love google's apps including maps, talk, and video chat. I also love it's constant evolving nature.

I never wanted an android tablet since they are mostly in a beta stage and cost a lot of cash. Given that I have two desktops, a laptop and a smartphone I just never had the need for one. There's no point in buying something small that costs as much as a laptop.

When I saw a 64GB blackberry playbook for 300 bucks , I thought it was a great deal so I jumped. Electronics places are selling these at cost to increase usership or just to get rid of stock. I am still undecided if I want to keep it. Here are some of my pros and cons

I would mostly use my playbook to read pdfs, put movies and photos. However, now that I am defending my thesis, the academic benefits have waned. I also would like a tablet that can type English, French and Persian -- the three languages I use in communication.

Pros:

1) Blackberry OS is smooth, and far better than any Apple OS. Playing flash and multitaking is simple. Stability is awesome and surpasses android or apple
    2) picture quality is top notch and screen is high quality
    3) Easy interface. Those who laud apple's simplicity should also love this. Great stuff.
    4) Bluetooth attachments are great. I can hookup headphones and watch movies on the subway

Cons:

1) Small screen
    2) No real Persian font support. This is lacking in its browsers. I know this is such a small issue for most people but being able to communicate would be nice. Any updates in the new OS?
    3) French support is there albeit a little clunky. You have to go into setting to get an AZERTY keyboard.
    4) Terrible App support. I couldn't find google maps, skype, and even some basic apps. Android and apple have a leg up. I don't care for games except Tetris which was nicely provided here. There's a rumor that some android apps would work on blackberry in the new update? If so, this would be such a welcomed addition.
    5) No email sync? I hear this is coming out with the new OS but the release date is still iffy
    6) no Motion JPEG support. I had to convert to MP4 but it wasn't too bad.

Overall, I am looking for reasons not to return it. I think I got a great deal and probably wouldn't buy a tablet with this much firepower at this price point. I would love to convinced I made the right choice despite having little need to own a tablet
    Last edited by piglatinlover; 01-13-12 at 04:18 PM.
    01-13-12 04:01 PM
    we do not care if you love android and have a nexus

it seems your mind is already made up... nothing we say should make you want to keep it
    simple look at your pros and cons list

return it
    homer1475 and curvezzz like this.
    01-13-12 04:08 PM
    You may have already convinced yourself with just 3 of your salient points:

1. You have little, if any, need for a tablet.
    2. No support for the Persian language.
    3. The 6 CONS you have listed.

The PB is not for everyone. It's after due dilgence in your pre-purchase research you can accept what others perceive as shortcomings, then it's love at first sight. Buying anything before knowing what you're getting is a recipe for disappointment.

Sorry, but I don't believe I can convince you to keep it, but I can give you a few reasons to return it.
    fj_cruiser and curvezzz like this.
    01-13-12 04:12 PM
    Ok ,thanks. Is there any way I could try out the Beta 2.0 before returning it?
    01-13-12 04:14 PM
    Well, all I can say is that languages have slowly have been put into the OS. Maybe persian will be available soon enough, but you can't really know in how much time.
    As for the apps you want, ye Android apps will be available but only if the developers wants to transform them to PB format, that rules out a percentage of apps.

In my own impartial opinion, I think you might be off better with other tablet, the PB could take too long satisfying those needs :/
    01-13-12 04:15 PM
    I strongly recommend you read the hundreds of threads and thousands of post on the pitfalls and high drama in regards to the Beta OS. It will be a lot quicker then trying to sort out why your PB is even less of a tablet then you have already deemed it to be with the sketchy Beta OS. Just return it and good luck.
    01-13-12 04:18 PM
    You need convincing like you need a hole in the head. You have used it and found it lacking, why get opinions from people you have to assume are biased?
    01-13-12 04:19 PM
    You need convincing like you need a hole in the head. You have used it and found it lacking, why get opinions from people you have to assume are biased?
    I have had it for a few days. I thought there might have been some things I overlooked. who better to point out its strengths than those who love the product?
    01-13-12 04:30 PM
    just return it the playbook is not for everyone
    curvezzz likes this.
    01-13-12 04:37 PM
    One item before returning it: If you press the GLOBE symbol on the keypad you can change to a French keypad (azerty?). Also, if you press/hold certain letters, 'a' for instance, even on the US keyboard, alternative "a's" with accents are available.

You have pointed out its strengths. You just have to decide if they overcome, coupled with its rather low price, those weaknesses you also pointed out.

And while it does seems as if there will be an OS2, some of us have been waiting much longer than you for it to fix some flaws. But if the current tablet does not do what YOU NEED, do not count on OS2 to rectify it.

The beta is available to the general public but is not what will be released so lots would still be missing.
    piglatinlover likes this.
    01-13-12 05:09 PM
    you got a great price on the best platform that just didn't "come in your size".
    Set it aside, wait a few months, update and see if it fits better then. If not it will still be a great platform you got for a great price that you could sell (the value will go up with OS2 and the new apps that will come) or give it to someone as a gift. you must know lots of people that would be happy with it.

just sayin'
    01-13-12 05:09 PM
    Hello everyone.

I'm new to the forum and just bought a playbook 64GB. I know you'll hate me, but I am a pretty strong supporter of Android. I have a nexus S and it suits my needs just fine. I love google's apps including maps, talk, and video chat. I also love it's constant evolving nature.

I never wanted an android tablet since they are mostly in a beta stage and cost a lot of cash. Given that I have two desktops, a laptop and a smartphone I just never had the need for one. There's no point in buying something small that costs as much as a laptop.

When I saw a 64GB blackberry playbook for 300 bucks , I thought it was a great deal so I jumped. Electronics places are selling these at cost to increase usership or just to get rid of stock. I am still undecided if I want to keep it. Here are some of my pros and cons

I would mostly use my playbook to read pdfs, put movies and photos. However, now that I am defending my thesis, the academic benefits have waned. I also would like a tablet that can type English, French and Persian -- the three languages I use in communication.

Pros:

1) Blackberry OS is smooth, and far better than any Apple OS. Playing flash and multitaking is simple. Stability is awesome and surpasses android or apple
    2) picture quality is top notch and screen is high quality
    3) Easy interface. Those who laud apple's simplicity should also love this. Great stuff.
    4) Bluetooth attachments are great. I can hookup headphones and watch movies on the subway

Cons:

1) Small screen
    2) No real Persian font support. This is lacking in its browsers. I know this is such a small issue for most people but being able to communicate would be nice. Any updates in the new OS?
    3) French support is there albeit a little clunky. You have to go into setting to get an AZERTY keyboard.
    4) Terrible App support. I couldn't find google maps, skype, and even some basic apps. Android and apple have a leg up. I don't care for games except Tetris which was nicely provided here. There's a rumor that some android apps would work on blackberry in the new update? If so, this would be such a welcomed addition.
    5) No email sync? I hear this is coming out with the new OS but the release date is still iffy
    6) no Motion JPEG support. I had to convert to MP4 but it wasn't too bad.

Overall, I am looking for reasons not to return it. I think I got a great deal and probably wouldn't buy a tablet with this much firepower at this price point. I would love to convinced I made the right choice despite having little need to own a tablet
    Like you said, you got a smoking deal... I would wait for the 2.0 to come out, then try it. If you dont like it, its not like someone wont buy it from you.
    01-13-12 05:20 PM
    Cons:

1) Small screen
    I say return it! The form factor and portability of the PB is one of its biggest Pros, and if you don't get it then its not for you.

Next....
    01-13-12 05:28 PM
    If you not gonna keep it, why eff with it!
    01-13-12 05:34 PM
    I say return it! The form factor and portability of the PB is one of its biggest Pros, and if you don't get it then its not for you.

Next....

The screen is NOT that big of a deal. I was just pointing some small issues.

I should point out I have an adorable niece that enjoys children's apps. Are there a good number on the playbook?
    01-13-12 05:39 PM
    If you not gonna keep it, why eff with it!
    It seems like there's a marked improvement in the new OS. Why not try it out?>
    01-13-12 05:40 PM
    well a few of your cons will be addressed in the os2 update ( not sure about the persian language but i wouldn't rule it out). you claim to use the playbook mostly for pdf's, movies and photos. once os2 roles around (sometime next month) you'll have more pdf options than you do right now.

if you plan to load or stream movies, the playbook displays and streams at 1080p. you say the screen is too small? connect it to your tv via an hdmi cable and you can mirror everything that comes out of your playbook, movies and all. sure there are other tablets that can do that (not sure, don't have them, don't want them.) but they don't have 64gb of space and most likely cost over 500 bucks... so i think with a bit of patience you'll be quite happy with your playbook... a wise man once said, "patience daniel-san."
    01-13-12 05:53 PM
    The screen is NOT that big of a deal. I was just pointing some small issues.

I should point out I have an adorable niece that enjoys children's apps. Are there a good number on the playbook?
    You said "defending my thesis" so I assume you are a PhD (or about to get it).... at $300 for a 64G PB, don't over-analyze this; if you are having trouble, I suggest you ask your niece if she likes it and go with what she says... am sure she'll side with us
    01-13-12 05:56 PM
    I have had it for a few days. I thought there might have been some things I overlooked. who better to point out its strengths than those who love the product?
    I think your first "disadvantage" the tablet screen size is subjective. You find it too small, others find it perfect.

As to Persian i would think no tablet will have great support because there are not many Persian end users outside of Usa or Europe

Some requested apps are not there it is true. if you have to have them then pb is not for you.

bottom line is that os2 will offer SUBSTANTIAL improvements over os1. The fact that Gizmodo vocal critic of rim and playbook has written that pb os2 is the biggest surprise of ces says for itself.

Personally i do not get it what is so special about Android.Lets face it.Android is one big rip off of ios. On the top of that i feel that

1.security sucks on Android because it is open source
    2. i find Android on tablets painfully slow.Using android tablets feels like using underpowered pc with current generation games. you can actually see frame by frame animations changing. this type of experience is bad
    fj_cruiser and piglatinlover like this.
    01-13-12 06:05 PM
    Ask yourself honestly. Am i going to use pb or not ? There must be something you like about it. I presume price must be the biggest factor (I love it too) but if you have no use for it just return it. believe me at $299 for 64Gb it will not take long for this tablet to find new happy owner. good luck with your decision and let us know what it is.
    fj_cruiser and piglatinlover like this.
    01-13-12 06:31 PM
    I think your first "disadvantage" the tablet screen size is subjective. You find it too small, others find it perfect.

As to Persian i would think no tablet will have great support because there are not many Persian end users outside of Usa or Europe

Some requested apps are not there it is true. if you have to have them then pb is not for you.

bottom line is that os2 will offer SUBSTANTIAL improvements over os1. The fact that Gizmodo vocal critic of rim and playbook has written that pb os2 is the biggest surprise of ces says for itself.

Personally i do not get it what is so special about Android.Lets face it.Android is one big rip off of ios. On the top of that i feel that

1.security sucks on Android because it is open source
    2. i find Android on tablets painfully slow.Using android tablets feels like using underpowered pc with current generation games. you can actually see frame by frame animations changing. this type of experience is bad

Ok I just checked out some info on OS2 but didn't see much on PDF improvements. I think it's something they won't overlook. If you know any specifics, please let me know.

I have to point out that NO mobile OS has properly solved the language issue. Android 4.0 is a marked improvement but still has problems sending SMS or emails to non-android users. I hope Blackberry 2.0 works better in sending Persian text but I just noticed it displays Persian font pretty well. There's also an app called Persian notes.

I also echo that Android is far from stabile and severely lags the blackberry OS. It just has far better apps and great google support. However, it's rapid evolution and improvement is leaving iOS behind.
    01-13-12 07:24 PM
    You said "defending my thesis" so I assume you are a PhD (or about to get it).... at $300 for a 64G PB, don't over-analyze this; if you are having trouble, I suggest you ask your niece if she likes it and go with what she says... am sure she'll side with us
    Hahahaah. Over analyzing is what we graduate students do best. It's the main essence of our --often pedantic-- work.

Your post made me laugh. Thanks
    Last edited by piglatinlover; 01-13-12 at 07:38 PM.
    01-13-12 07:29 PM
    do you think the playbook 16g will lower their price after feb.4?

i bought one for me but it was last dec. and it was 199 for 16g

now all models are 299.99

thank you in advance..
    01-13-12 07:36 PM
    First off, I don't think many of us would hate for trying the PB, especially being an Android user. I for one applaud you for it.

I can't offer you anything factual to convince you go keep it. All I can say is, OS2 is gonna give this thing one heck of a kick in the pants. It may not solve the issues you have, but the improvements elsewhere might make it easier to overlook them. I'd strongly suggest hanging on to it at least until then.
    01-13-12 07:42 PM

Next....
    Agree and couldn't have said it better.

To op, good luck with your decision.
    Last edited by doxa sub750T; 01-13-12 at 07:51 PM.
    fj_cruiser likes this.
    01-13-12 07:49 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD