I'm not a developer (yet), but I have an idea for an app I would like to have on the playbook.

To see if I can work out how to build the app I really want, I am trying to install the playbook SDK onto my machine.

Thus far I have downloaded and installed VMware player - I understand that this creates an environment where my PC can use the playbook OS in a separate window to but within Windows7.

I've downloaded both the BlackberryTabletSDK-AIR-Installer and the BlackberryPlayBookSimulator-Installer from RIM, but when I try to run them, I get a message telling me I need a supported Java Virtual Machine. Where can I find one please? Which ones are supported?

I'm also running windows7 64 bit version on my PC. The Blackberry site says that 64-bit versions must run in 32-bit mode - How? searching on my control panel didn't tell me how to do that.

Thanks in advance for your help
    10-27-10 07:28 AM
    OK - I got a copy of Java Virtual Machine from Oracle. It was free :-).

Managed to unpack the RIM installers and dropped the simulator into VMware. It is chugging away right now and I'll see what it looks like soon - yay! :-)

I'm concerned about the need to run in 32 bit mode though. Still haven't worked out how to run my 64 bit windows7 machine in 32 bit mode. Is it REALLY necessary? Does anybody know?

Hope someone can help.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-27-10 11:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD