If you still uncertain of what to do, knock on your friendly neighborhood and ask them to charge it for you when it needed... and of course, you have to expect that your PlayBook will be used in return...

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 10:53 AM
    thought for the day= leaving anything plugged in & charging while away from home is never a good thing...
    07-21-14 10:53 AM
    the 32gb PB battery health is at 91% with a 318 charge count and battery voltage is 3.81 V
    The 64 gb PB battery health is at 84% with a 175 charge count and the battery voltage is 4.02 V

What would be the best way to pracice goid battery health ingeneral?
    Everynight, I've been turning the sound/light down and put them on 'standby' never 'trun off'
    To be honest I'm just as clueless. One I just left it on and the other stand by. My second playbook did not start with 100%. It was like 91% or 92%. I could not figure out if Battery Guru error reading or something error in the way that PlayBook calibrate.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 11:14 AM
    The website batteryuniversity.com is a useful resource. I turn my PlayBooks on each morning and turn them completely off each night (not standby). Before travel, I fully charge the PlayBooks and those that remain at home are stored in a cool area completely turned off and not connected to a charger. This approach has worked well for me!
    07-21-14 11:20 AM
    thought for the day= leaving anything plugged in & charging while away from home is never a good thing...
    Just leaving the Charger Plugged in is using a small amount of power... Not a big deal on it's own, but look around your house... TV's, Cable Boxes, DVD Player, Home Phones, Speakers, NAS, Computer, Printers..... it will add up on you.

If you travel a lot, look at unplugging some of this stuff... over a years time if you travel a lot it might save you a little money and the environment.
    07-21-14 11:28 AM
    I've left my PlayBooks completely off without chargers for a couple of months without trouble. There is some drain, but nothing significant. It's not impressive as the TouchPad, though, which can be put to sleep (not off) for a month without significant battery drain. (It makes me wonder if the swipe-to-wake up of the PlayBook is more expensive than press-the-power-on of the TouchPad. One requires the screen to be somewhat active while sleeping.)
    07-21-14 05:41 PM
    Just leaving the Charger Plugged in is using a small amount of power... Not a big deal on it's own, but look around your house... TV's, Cable Boxes, DVD Player, Home Phones, Speakers, NAS, Computer, Printers..... it will add up on you.

If you travel a lot, look at unplugging some of this stuff... over a years time if you travel a lot it might save you a little money and the environment.
    i was referring to actually having anything charging while away from home,,, how often have you heard of charger fires,,, it'd be a b!tch to come home to a pile of ashes...
    07-21-14 06:08 PM
    The website batteryuniversity.com is a useful resource. I turn my PlayBooks on each morning and turn them completely off each night (not standby). Before travel, I fully charge the PlayBooks and those that remain at home are stored in a cool area completely turned off and not connected to a charger. This approach has worked well for me!
    This is another issue. I turned tbe pb off with the icon, but you have to physically press that tiny button to turn it back on, right?
    I've heard this could be a problem as the tiny button has a tendency to get stuck?
    07-22-14 03:45 PM
    So far, I haven't experienced any problems with sticky power buttons (or sensitive USB ports for that matter) although both issues are well documented. The PlayBook does seem to draw a lot of power in Standby mode compared to other devices I've owned. If the batteries were easily replaced I probably would leave it on Standby more often, as it is I do turn it off. It's hard to know what's best!
    07-23-14 12:06 PM
    I'm finding everyone's comments belpful.
    Only thing is, if you turn it off, it shouldn't matter if its in its power dock, powercord or floating in space, cause if its off then its off - right?
    07-23-14 01:56 PM
    Only thing is, if you turn it off, it shouldn't matter if its in its power dock, powercord or floating in space, cause if its off then its off - right?
    When I turn off my secondary 32gig, I charge it fully, then Press the Battery Icon and select OFF. I do not leave it attached to the rapid charger (same as the dock contraption). I turned it on recently after being off for about 2 months and it was above 90%. Why even leave it in the dock (even unplugged). Just put it in a safe place.
    castoridae likes this.
    07-23-14 02:38 PM
    It will still be charging if it is still connected to the charger....even when the PlayBook is off.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-14 05:28 PM
    Yeppers....Off is Off, but it will still trickle charge as needed even if turned off.
    If you are going to be away for a while (More than a couple of days) Just turn off that puppy. You can charge it, or you can not charge it. As long as you turn it off. Use button or icon same thing. As to the power button, the only thing I have heard is that some are a bit recessed and hard to get to turn on.
    If you leave it on standby, depending on how much charge you have left, it can drain down (slowly) over a couple of days.
    c
    07-31-14 11:10 AM
    Yeppers....Off is Off, but it will still trickle charge as needed even if turned off.
    If you are going to be away for a while (More than a couple of days) Just turn off that puppy. You can charge it, or you can not charge it. As long as you turn it off. Use button or icon same thing. As to the power button, the only thing I have heard is that some are a bit recessed and hard to get to turn on.
    If you leave it on standby, depending on how much charge you have left, it can drain down (slowly) over a couple of days.
    c
    Yes the more expensive $499 versions have the coveted recessed button.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    07-31-14 02:47 PM
    You can also try those power supply with timer... you know those devices that can switch your lights at night and turn them off at day just to have a perception that there is someone at home... you can plug your PlayBook on those times devices...

Posted via CB10
    anischab likes this.
    08-02-14 03:42 AM
    It will still be charging if it is still connected to the charger....even when the PlayBook is off.

Posted via CB10
    Really ? -
    How does that happen if its turned off?
    08-02-14 04:40 PM
    Really ? -
    How does that happen if its turned off?
    Many devices charge when turned off.
    kbz1960 and castoridae like this.
    08-03-14 03:02 AM
    Many devices charge when turned off.
    OK, I don't know if it will charge when turned off, but I just bought a magnetic charging dock from Crackberry. When I go away this year, I will make sure its fully charged, turn down brightness and sound and then turn it off, but leave it sitting in the magnetic dock.
    08-03-14 08:10 AM
    Mine has been charged full 6 months ago and turned off. Let me find it and I'll let you know what happens when I try to turn it on.
    08-03-14 08:28 AM
    Mine has been charged full 6 months ago and turned off. Let me find it and I'll let you know what happens when I try to turn it on.
    I can't remember if it was fully charged or not. I forgot how long it takes the thing to turn on! Battery is at 70% now.
    FF22 and castoridae like this.
    08-03-14 08:33 AM
    OK, I don't know if it will charge when turned off, but I just bought a magnetic charging dock from Crackberry. When I go away this year, I will make sure its fully charged, turn down brightness and sound and then turn it off, but leave it sitting in the magnetic dock.
    I have the opposite opinion in this. I assume the battery from the PlayBook will discharge very slowly if come in contact with the magnetic pins of the dock when unplug. I think the tablet is intuitive to charge when in contact even if it's power off. Without the current, it's attempt to draw power constantly causes it to use up battery as well. I just power off and leave them off any dock or charger for longer storage.

Posted via CB10
    castoridae likes this.
    08-03-14 08:44 AM
    There was a time for me where I had charged my PB and turned it off because I was done with it for that day. Then I didn't really need it at all for a while and neglected to turn it on. Probably about three months later I had the realization that I had neither turned on nor charged it in a LONG time, so I decided to check on the health of the battery; make sure it wasn't a brick. Not only did it turn on with no issue, there was still over 70% left on the battery! There is some drain when the PB is off, but if it's fully charged when you turn it off, it should be able to keep its charge for quite a while.

JB

Posted from my brain to your screen via CBQ10
    castoridae likes this.
    08-03-14 09:11 AM
    Ok, the consensus seems to be to leave it fully charged, turned off and unattached to any charging device.
    Thanks everybody!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-03-14 02:36 PM
    I have the opposite opinion in this. I assume the battery from the PlayBook will discharge very slowly if come in contact with the magnetic pins of the dock when unplug. I think the tablet is intuitive to charge when in contact even if it's power off. Without the current, it's attempt to draw power constantly causes it to use up battery as well. I just power off and leave them off any dock or charger for longer storage.
    Listen cat. The Playbook is a fine device but doesn't have a conscience and isn't self aware.
    It won't use battery or attempt to charge just because it feels something prodding it's bottom. It will charge if a powered charger is connected. It will discharge slowly, if a non-powered charger is connected or no charger is connected, just like every other battery in the world.
    08-05-14 08:25 AM
49 12