I have 2 playbooks that I use constantly.
    I only take one when I'm travelling.
    My question is should I leave the 2nd one plugged in or do I turn it off?
    I heard that its not good for the battery to leave it plugged in unused for weeks,
    so what settings should I use?

last year, I left one of them sitting on my desk unplugged.
    The battery icon showed red. I plugged it in and left it to charge overnight and it was ok.
    I was lucky. My friend has left hers for 4 weeks and she's now trying a stack charge.

I want to prevent this.

Many thanks for tips
    07-21-14 08:01 AM
    The PlayBooks battery needs to be kept charged, allowing it to lose all of it's charge is bad for it. It should be fine for a few weeks if you fully charge it and then unplug it and turn it off.

That said, these batteries do breakdown with age... three years is the point where failures start.
    FF22 and castoridae like this.
    07-21-14 08:15 AM
    Leave it in the charger. Very simple ;-)

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 08:16 AM
    ok, this isn't good.
    One person says off and unplugged,
    other person says leave plugged in (doesn't say leave on or off)
    now what?
    07-21-14 08:19 AM
    Ive had mine on its charging stand for about 6 months now, I never use it anymore. On the odd time when I do use it, it works like it came out of the box.
    07-21-14 08:22 AM
    I vote for fully charged then disconnect and power off.

Posted via CB10
    anon(5597702) and Carl Estes like this.
    07-21-14 08:23 AM
    I am in the "Charge it up--shut it off--store it in a cool (not cold) place" camp. I have done exactly that just a month or so ago. I was away for 2 months, prior to that I fully charged the Playbook, unplugged it, shut it completely off and put it in storage in a cool room. When I came home, all was well-the Playbook fired up and had plenty of battery power remaining. I'm sorry that I cannot tell you what the percentage left was but I remember using it for quite a while before I recharged it again. Hope this helps.
    07-21-14 08:27 AM
    Ive had mine on its charging stand for about 6 months now, I never use it anymore. On the odd time when I do use it, it works like it came out of the box.
    Are you leaving it on, standby or turned off when its in the dock?
    07-21-14 08:30 AM
    I am in the "Charge it up--shut it off--store it in a cool (not cold) place" camp. I have done exactly that just a month or so ago. I was away for 2 months, prior to that I fully charged the Playbook, unplugged it, shut it completely off and put it in storage in a cool room. When I came home, all was well-the Playbook fired up and had plenty of battery power remaining. I'm sorry that I cannot tell you what the percentage left was but I remember using it for quite a while before I recharged it again. Hope this helps.
    So when you turn it off, do you use the 'off' icon or the button, or does it matter?
    07-21-14 08:32 AM
    So when you turn it off, do you use the 'off' icon or the button, or does it matter?

Doesn't matter -- I used the off button -- but there is no difference

EDIT: sorry I should clarify---make sure you click or select the RED turn off icon--don't just press the physical OFF button for 1 second. If you use the Playbook's OFF button, hold it down for 2-3 seconds until you see the RESTART---STAND BY---TURN OFF choices and then select TURN OFF
    Last edited by brookie229; 07-21-14 at 08:48 AM.
    07-21-14 08:35 AM
    As to Scalemaster's point- the condition of the battery, of course, is very important. It may be of help to check your battery using an app such as Battery Guru. If your battery health is below 70% you may want to just keep the Playbook plugged in while you are away to avoid a total discharge situation. My battery health is at 88% and I have had no problems shutting it off as I have stated. I don't know the EXACT cutoff point for battery health (maybe no one does) and that 70% figure really is just a guess on my part. YMMV
    anon(5597702) and castoridae like this.
    07-21-14 08:43 AM
    One of my playbook is three years old. When I'm away I usually make sure it's s fully charge. And I always turn it off. Not standby. Five weeks later, the battery usually do not drained more than 10% maybe even less.

Posted via CB10
    SEAWARRIOR, Carl Estes and dmlis like this.
    07-21-14 09:01 AM
    One of my playbook is three years old. When I'm away I usually make sure it's s fully charge. And I always turn it off. Not standby. Five weeks later, the battery usually do not drained more than 10% maybe even less.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, but when you do this, do you leave it plugged in or not?
    There seems to be different thoughts on this, and also is it best to use the docking stand (magnetic
    pins?) or any playbook charger?
    07-21-14 09:14 AM
    Easiest solution, leave it with a friend to care for it just like you would do with a pet :P

Posted via CB10 from my Z10STL100-1/10.3.0.700
    07-21-14 09:22 AM
    There seems to be different thoughts on this, and also is it best to use the docking stand (magnetic
    No. I do not plug in once I power down.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 09:23 AM
    Don't forget many unsold playbooks have been sitting on shelves for a long time before we get them. I don't recall many complaint about dead playbook when they first received them. Only one instant that I had was a brand new one in an unopened box that start chiming to let me know it's in critically low in battery.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 09:28 AM
    I would just leave it plugged in.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 09:28 AM
    The magnetic charger is the same as the docking charger. I do avoid using the provided USB charger since many had complain about the flimsy build.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 09:31 AM
    I would just leave it plugged in.

Posted via CB10
    Short of unplugging major appliances like the oven and the fridge, I unplug all electronics for the peace of mind. Especially if I'm going away for a few weeks.

Posted via CB10
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    07-21-14 09:35 AM
    Wow.. I only unplug things when I move.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 09:40 AM
    I'm paranoid about short circuited wiring in my home or thunder that cause any power surge. I do live in a very old building. Just a precaution.

Posted via CB10
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    07-21-14 09:47 AM
    Ok, I think for this trip, I will fully charge, then unplug and turn off.
    I just downloaded battery guru.
    It says the 32gb PB battery health is at 91% with a 318 charge count.
    This is the one that I leave at home. It is also the one I've had the longest.
    I'll check everything on the 64 gb and see how it is.
    I think I need to turn them both off every night.
    Right now, I just leave one plugged in and on standby and the other not plugged in but still on standby.
    This may be effecting the battery health.
    07-21-14 09:59 AM
    I'm paranoid about short circuited wiring in my home or thunder that cause any power surge. I do live in a very old building. Just a precaution.

Posted via CB10
    My insurance is worth more then my stuff..

Posted via CB10
    logger4942 likes this.
    07-21-14 10:04 AM
    My 3 year old is at 88% and my 2 year old is still 100%. Other than going away for a few weeks that I unplug and power down. They are always on permanent charging dock and magnetic charger if I do not use them.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 10:08 AM
    My 3 year old is at 88% and my 2 year old is still 100%. Other than going away for a few weeks that I unplug and power down. They are always on permanent charging dock and magnetic charger if I do not use them.

Posted via CB10
    the 32gb PB battery health is at 91% with a 318 charge count and battery voltage is 3.81 V
    The 64 gb PB battery health is at 84% with a 175 charge count and the battery voltage is 4.02 V

What would be the best way to pracice goid battery health ingeneral?
    Everynight, I've been turning the sound/light down and put them on 'standby' never 'trun off'
    07-21-14 10:31 AM
49 12