on her (used) but new to her Playbook. She's had the EFFIN thing about an hour!!!! GRRRRRRRR.
    I suspect she's put the travel charger connector in upside down (and forced it in!)
    As you can tell, I'm rather annoyed about this.

Anyhoo. It still connects to the computer - the usb works.

The charger seems to work (ie it's charging my Blackberry Torch)

HOwever, when you connect the two, the icon changes to the "plug" icon, but not the lightning bolt.

I *think* therefore, it's FUBAR.

IF I go and buy her the rapid-charge station (the docking thing that connects magnetically), do you think it will work?

Am I missing something that I should do before spending more money on something that could be a feckin housebrick?

Thanks in advance,

Dan
    01-24-13 01:50 PM
    I suspect she's put the travel charger connector in upside down (and forced it in!)
    I think you should have had "the talk" with your daughter before allowing her to connect with anything and forcing 'it' in is always a no, no. Sorry, my brain is suffering from frostbite today.

The BlackBerry Rapid Charger, not the rapid charging dock, will definitely work and should have been shipped with the tablet from the outset.
    01-24-13 01:53 PM
    on her (used) but new to her Playbook. She's had the EFFIN thing about an hour!!!! GRRRRRRRR.

HOwever, when you connect the two, the icon changes to the "plug" icon, but not the lightning bolt.

IF I go and buy her the rapid-charge station (the docking thing that connects magnetically), do you think it will work?

Am I missing something that I should do before spending more money on something that could be a feckin housebrick?

Thanks in advance,

Dan
    If it is a plug showing up not lightening flash sounds like it is just the normal phone charger not the PlayBook charger. Has the charger got a yellow plug? I have got the magnetic charger and it works well, and it saves the USB plug. Definitely a good investment.

Malcolm.
    01-24-13 01:58 PM
    Had similar issue with my 64 gig PB.... would not charge or be recognized by the computer... so you have one up on me... purchased a rapid charging dock off ebay and away I went... note: took about a half a day to charge as it was totally dead......or me I have to file transfer over WIFI but otherwise works great....
    droggy66 likes this.
    01-24-13 02:01 PM
    look inthe usb port. it shouod not be bent or slanted. it should be level near the bottom. but if the computer can see it, it is probably okay. as someome said, you might be using a phone charger which provides much less power.
    01-24-13 02:09 PM
    Had similar issue with my 64 gig PB.... would not charge or be recognized by the computer... so you have one up on me... purchased a rapid charging dock off ebay and away I went... note: took about a half a day to charge as it was totally dead......or me I have to file transfer over WIFI but otherwise works great....
    Have you looked in the USB port. I have just fixed two PB's that were not charging or connecting to the computer by putting the point of a thin knife in the top of the socket and moving the middle black prong very slightly. If you put the charging plug in upside down it pushes this prong to the top of the socket. Compare the location of the hole in the USB charger plug and this prong in the charging socket and you will see what I mean.
    Worked twice for me so far.
    Malcolm

Whoops F2 beat me to it.
    01-24-13 02:09 PM
    Wow.
    Thank you for such quick replies

All that came in the box was the 'berry, and a "travel charger" with a black usb connector.
    The output voltage of this travel charger is 5.0V @ 700mA
    It does however. have "Pb" in a circle with a line through it.

Am I to assume that this is the wrong charger?
    If so, how did it charge the Playbook today?

Yes, I do realise that the "talk" should have taken place, but she is pretty IT-savvy, and this is the first time she's (potentially) blown up a bit of kit.
    I'm annoyed both for and at her. She's only 9 and it was the remains of her Christmas money and a month of saving that had afforded her this toy.
    She's been waiting for over 9 days (since purchase) due to a tw@t of an Ebayer, so this experience has gone from bad to worse.

So, I was looking at one of these - is it the right one?

FWIW, I have already lightly returned the USB pin tower back to its rightful position, hence getting USB data-connection.
    I suppose my only other option is to go into one of my local stores and try to pick up a real Playbook charger.

The problem is that I live in a countryside market-town in the UK. I'm not going to hold my breath.
    Perhaps Carphonewarehouse.........

Dan
    01-24-13 02:26 PM
    I place a drop of whiteout on the "UP" side of the plugs to try and avoid this problem. Then again I also do not use the PlayBook with it plugged in either because it will also damage the plug.
    I also have a business card taped to the underside of my PlayBook so that if I accidentally leave it somewhere like Timmy's, I MAY get it back. I will be glad when BlackBerry Protect comes to the PlayBook.
    01-24-13 02:32 PM
    Wow.
    Thank you for such quick replies

All that came in the box was the 'berry, and a "travel charger" with a black usb connector.

Yes, I do realise that the "talk" should have taken place, but she is pretty IT-savvy, and this is the first time she's (potentially) blown up a bit of kit.
    I'm annoyed both for and at her. She's only 9 and it was the remains of her Christmas money and a month of saving that had afforded her this toy.
    She's been waiting for over 9 days (since purchase) due to a tw@t of an Ebayer, so this experience has gone from bad to worse.

So, I was looking at one of these - is it the right one?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...kL._AA300_.jpg

FWIW, I have already lightly returned the USB pin tower back to its rightful position, hence getting USB data-connection.
    I suppose my only other option is to go into one of my local stores and try to pick up a real Playbook charger.

The problem is that I live in a countryside market-town in the UK. I'm not going to hold my breath.
    Perhaps Carphonewarehouse.........

Dan
    The USB charger that came with my PB with the yellow plug has an output of 5V @ 2A. The charger you have will charge it up, but takes quite a while. Yes the photo you have is for the desk top charger dock which connects to the 3 pins. There is also a magnetic charger which attaches to these three pins. Got mine from Amazon
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/BlackBerry-P...bUvbUpU7882032
    Hope this helps.

Malcolm.
    01-24-13 02:40 PM
    No not that charger, this one BlackBerry� Rapid Travel Charger For BlackBerry� PlayBook or UK equivalent is this one I think BlackBerry PlayBook Rapid Travel Charger: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories It will connect to the 3 exposed contacts instead of the USB port

The original charger should be 1.9 amp or 2.0 amp, this is international version but there should be a UK specific one too http://www.amazon.co.uk/BlackBerry-A...bUvbUpU7882037

You could try sending the playbook to blackberry for repair, if previous owner did not register you may still get the 1 yr hardware warranty but it doesn't cover accidental damage to USB, BUT people have had varying success getting usb fixed., and you might end up having to pay for repair.
    01-24-13 02:41 PM
    don't be too hard on her man--rim didn't actually make the usb connection very strong--i worry about mine every time i plug it in--seems very weak and loose
    01-24-13 02:58 PM
    No, I'm not gonna be hard on her at all. She's upset too. I was just vexed that after her saving her hardest for this, to be treated to a poor sale experience, THEN the seller took 9 days to post it, THEN the post office wouldn't deliver it.... only to get it today.....her face lit up like a Christmas tree..... only for a mistake (that in all fairness, anybody could have made) to render the port damaged. TBH, I don't know many 9yr olds who would save that type of money (�60 - I topped it up to the purchase price, and will buy her the charger too) with that amount of focus.

I think I've fixed it now any, but the charger issue still remains. So there's about 30% charge left in it - she can play with it tomorrow, and an Amazon delivery on Saturday should sort out the charging issue.

Poor kid - i just felt so sorry for her (but frustrated at the course of events at the same time!!!)

Thanks for the help

Dan
    01-24-13 03:19 PM
    Yeah, an honest mistake. Don't be mad. Look at the fitting. It is a rectangle and not trapezoidal like most microUSB. So the orientation is not that apparent. Rule of thumb is the BB logo is up. Sounds like you got a phone charger. It will charge the PB when it is "off" but most likely won't keep up in "standby". Like everyone else said, get the magnetic coupling dock or cable charger. Cable is better if you ever put a case on it. The dock won't work with alot of cases.
    01-24-13 03:21 PM
    OP-
    Plug in the charger, check the percent and leave the PB in standby for 15-30 minutes. See if the percentage goes up after the charge.
    The plug symbol could mean the PB is using more power then your charger can provide. In standby your using the least amount of power.
    It could be the port is fine but the charger you're using just doesn't have enough power.
    01-24-13 03:37 PM
    Thanks Chaddface - just read this whilst browsing somewhere else. Trying it now

Either way, rapid charger ordered for Saturday delivery.
    Whilst setting it up today though, it's a truly brilliant piece of kit. I'm also an iPad owner, and there's some functions that would be great on the iPad. Evem down to the touch keyboard that actually tracks your fingers when you type quickly (a serious gripe of mine with the iPad)

Roll on Saturday - will keep you all posted: hopefully with a happy ending

DAn
    01-24-13 03:59 PM
    Thanks Chaddface - just read this whilst browsing somewhere else. Trying it now *edited to add - this does work: charge going up!!!! Looks like the Playbook lives to fight another day!

Either way, rapid charger ordered for Saturday delivery.
    Whilst setting it up today though, it's a truly brilliant piece of kit. I'm also an iPad owner, and there's some functions that would be great on the iPad. Evem down to the touch keyboard that actually tracks your fingers when you type quickly (a serious gripe of mine with the iPad)

Roll on Saturday - will keep you all posted: hopefully with a happy ending

DAn
    Chaddface likes this.
    01-24-13 04:01 PM
    So is the rule of thumb for charging:

Have the screen facing up towards the ceiling (as if you are using it) and plug the charger in horizontally with the logo facing upwards towards the ceiling in the same direction?
    01-24-13 04:09 PM
    It will charge slow like that but if you do it overnight in standby it should be all charged up in the morning.
    Glad it's working.
    01-24-13 04:11 PM
    So is the rule of thumb for charging:

Have the screen facing up towards the ceiling (as if you are using it) and plug the charger in horizontally with the logo facing upwards towards the ceiling in the same direction?
    Correct. BB logo goes screen side.
    01-24-13 04:12 PM
    In the US the charger plugs into the BBPB with the Blackberry symbol up that is facing the screen. The charger is actually plugged in upside down with the universal symbol faced the other way. This not obvious to many because the port is type Micro usb type ab and does not have the slanted side shape of the plug. Thus many people who dont look at the manual will try to plug it in as you would with most other devices and damage the port. So the nine year old should not feel too badly since many of her elders have made the same mistake. RIM should have attached tags to the charger and put more obvious markings on the plug if it was necessary to install the port with this orientation.
    01-24-13 04:22 PM
    [QUOTE=malgpz900;7882032]The USB charger that came with my PB with the yellow plug has an output of 5V @ 2A. The charger you have will charge it up, but takes quite a while. Yes the photo you have is for the desk top charger dock which connects to the 3 pins. There is also a magnetic charger which attaches to these three pins. Got mine from Amazon
    BlackBerry PlayBook Rapid Travel Charger: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
    Hope this helps.

Hi this the one I have just bought. It was ordered Monday & arrived this morning. Great price, fast delivery with free P & P.
    01-24-13 04:29 PM

To be absolutely clear about it, you have the wrong charger, you describe a low output phone charger. The PlayBook USB charger has a yellow USB connector and is rated at 5v @2A (2000mA). The RIM part number on mine is HDW-34725-001, also marked Model PSAC10R-050QT 2KMW

You need a high output charger to charge the PB properly, the standard phone chargers (700mA + black connector) don't have enough output. It might charge slowly - very slowly, like a slug on weed but it will probably never get to full charge. I suspect there is nothing wrong with the PB or its USB connector, and it will work just fine when it is charged correctly. If the device will power up for a few minutes shut down WiFi and Bluetooth to reduce power drain, then put it to standby. Leave it on the existing charger in standby for as long as possible - at least overnight and if possible all day tomorrow! Then power up and see what the % charge indicator says.

If it comes up with more charge than when you started the connector is good and it is worth getting a good charger. In which case... your daughter didn't break anything! (If it doesn't increase charge we don't know one way or the other).

Oh... the Pb struck out means it is a lead-free assembly.
    snow_stipple likes this.
    01-24-13 04:48 PM

Thanks in advance,

Dan
    If anyone else is following this thread, if you live in Canada, thesource.ca has the magnetic charger on sale for $19.96 BUY ONE! Yes, it will charge your PB. Also, you can still transfer files to and from via Wi-Fi. The port is only needed in OS reloads from the Desktop Software.

BlackBerry� Rapid Travel Charger For BlackBerry� PlayBook

Also, I don't know how hard it is to replace the microUSB port yourself but, on ebay there are these: 2 x BlackBerry Playbook (RDJ21WW) Micro USB Charging Port 1352 | eBay at about $8/each.

Haven't checked YouTube if there is a disassemble video or not...go check and post back. Then you can decide if it's a doable surgery. Before you try splicing in a new port though, check this video out

It could be the connection wires the guy refers to on the pad - he says those are the fragile part and its not the port itself.
    Last edited by chaosdivine; 01-24-13 at 06:19 PM.
    01-24-13 06:03 PM
    I feel ya op. I have 5 kids and 5 BlackBerry's with 5 insurance plans and I've replaced 7 phones in the past year: Charging ports. They like to plug in their phones and tell, text and sleep with it plugged in. I feel ya op.
    01-24-13 06:11 PM
    As Branta has indicated, you might have the wrong charger. The ebay seller may have sent the wrong one. Can you provide a picture of the charger you got?
    01-24-13 07:17 PM
27 12