I am looking for a tablet. I tried my niece's Ipad over the holidays, and I hated it. It felt clunky and the touchscreen was really underwhelming.

So I started looking at the other tablets and narrowed it to a few tablets. Nook Tablet, Archos G8, or the Playbook. Right now. they are in the same range pricewise. so if I get a Playbook. I would like to buy before they raise the prices.

I narrowed it to those three because of a active development community, cost, size, and usability.

I keep going back and forth between the three. Each seems to have a flaw that makes me think of ruling that one out. Nook, Barnes and Nobles attitude toward rooting and development of roms. Archos, less active modifiying community. And the Playbook, the problems that have been discussed numerous times, lack of apps, email, etc.

I am not afraid of working with whatever tablet I choose, to better suit my needs. So what would you choose, and why? I know this is not the most impartial forum but I am looking for information so I can make a decision.
    01-09-12 02:18 AM
    Welcome to CB. I think your best bet is to search this forum (use "convince" in the search box) as there have been many MANY threads just like yours. You'll find your answer there.

Edit: No offense intended but this indeed has been discussed $&*&llion of times and such threads usually end up becoming more of d!&k measuring contests with no useful information.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 01-09-12 at 02:28 AM.
    Hgouck likes this.
    01-09-12 02:22 AM
    Yes, welcome to CrackBerry! There ARE tons of threads like this. Your search will find them. I also have links in my signature for new PlayBook owners that explain the ins and outs of it. Good Reading...hope it helps you in your decision.
    01-09-12 02:32 AM
    I didn't want a playbook. I borrowed one to get use to the form factor of a Kindle Fire. However, I am seriously considering keep the PB instead, despite the fact that I don't have (well, I do, but it gathers dust) a Blackberry.

The Playbook, despite the lack of apps, is just a good device. Great nice, nice quality hardware, great OS, and you can sideload a lot of the missing functionality (Kindle and email were the biggies for me, but it also has Kobo).

I am almost anti-blackberry, and I like the playbook, that should say something
    Last edited by quarky_uk; 01-09-12 at 03:19 AM. Reason: grammar
    01-09-12 02:43 AM
    what price rise?
    consumer tech never increases in price, esp when your trying to shift inventory imo
    01-09-12 02:47 AM
    At $200 - $300 you can't go wrong. You just need to have one in your hand and be the judge yourself. There's been a lot of bias reviews by bloggers and PB owners thinks its the most under rated tablet on the market.
    Mami56 likes this.
    01-09-12 02:52 AM
    I don't know if I would've kept it had I paid the original price, but at the recent C$299 promotional price for the 64GB unit, I have had no problem getting to like it more and more. For me, it is a superb e-reader and media player, and as a BB diehard the bridge integration I love though I hope it extends to other things like SMS and other IM besides just BBM (e.g., I have a lot of GTalk friends, and I am not going to get IM+ for 8 bucks until it works over Bridge like Facebook). I just love the smaller size and it feels solid in the hand. I don't know much about side-loading, and I must admit my experiment with OS 2 beta was disappointing, but I am looking forward to what improvements and functionality the release version of OS 2 includes.

Right now, my wish list includes: broader Bridge functionality, including SMS on the PB and PB versions of Google Talk, Yahoo Messenger, Windows Messenger, etc., that work over bridge; support for anamorphic video so I don't have to reencode such vids just so they look okay on the PB and not distorted; Android app integration without all of this rooting and dingleballing stuff that really is meaningful and not just a token gesture--in particular, if we get a Netflix viewer, I will be pleased.

The price is right, and for 300 bucks I get at a minimum a great e-reader, media player, and web browser. That alone makes it worth it.
    01-09-12 03:13 AM
    I've only spent time with the Nook tablet and of course my PlayBook, out of the ones you're considering. All I can say is that the PlayBook is completely different, and is in a whole other league than that Nook. The PlayBook is honestly as close to a computer as you can get in tablet form. I use it for everything I used to use my MacBook for. As long as you're in a WiFi zone or have a BlackBerry to Bridge it to, the PlayBook is truly capable of just about anything you throw at it.

Tonight while loading OS 7.1 onto my 9810, I was on my PlayBook browsing with multiple tabs open, while listening to Slacker Radio (free, awesome), while running the Blaq twitter client (with automatic refreshing), while playing Asphalt 6. Not a stutter, not a lag, not a crash-- my PlayBook didn't even get warm, and this was for like 40 minutes. I've been in bed for the last 2 hours, reading news stories on my PlayBook, Blaq is still running, Slacker is still playing... still running as if I turned it on 5 minutes ago.

I know these are all basic things, I'm sure other tablets can do this too, but the ease at which I can swipe between whatever is open, hold the PlayBook comfortably and change the way I hold it (currently it's "upside down" because it's charging and the charger is plugged in at the top and my earphones are plugged in the "bottom" ..less annoying somehow..)...it's just a great device.

My iPod touch is here too. While I'm excited for the Android app player that should enable the PlayBook to pretty much be on par with the Android tablets and the iPad in terms of app selection, my iPod touch's battery died like an hour ago and I haven't bothered to find the charger for it right now... the PlayBook is THAT much more distracting

I recommend the PlayBook to anyone, and while it may not be the biggest or the most attention-getting, it is absolutely what I desire in all my devices. It's understated, subtle, lowkey, but is hands-down the most capable of doing everything I want it to. In February, I have a feeling the PlayBook bandwagon will be getting full, with people realizing it now has the robust software and app selection to match the still top notch hardware (which says a lot because it's almost a year old..best speakers you'll hear on a mobile device..I can almost promise you).

There's my 2cents. Or maybe it was 5cents?
    Last edited by SK122387; 01-09-12 at 03:24 AM.
    TheMrsPipe and Mami56 like this.
    01-09-12 03:21 AM
    I am looking for a tablet. I tried my niece's Ipad over the holidays, and I hated it. It felt clunky and the touchscreen was really underwhelming.
    You didn't wrote too much about iPad and your "bad experience"... but if you complaining about touch screen in iPad - which tablet will be better? What was wrong with the iPad?
    Good news is, you can go to the store and check touch screen in every device and compare it.

I keep going back and forth between the three. Each seems to have a flaw that makes me think of ruling that one out. Nook, Barnes and Nobles attitude toward rooting and development of roms. Archos, less active modifiying community. And the Playbook, the problems that have been discussed numerous times, lack of apps, email, etc.
    I never had Nook nor B&N in my hands, but Archos... is not enough for me. Maybe, I'm expecting more stable OS from devices, or maybe Android itself it's not really for me.
    I still have Android 70IT, but I'm considering to give it away.

Now, I have iPad and PlayBook - and both devices (in my opinion) were a good choice.
    01-09-12 04:21 AM
    Seconding what many people have already said.

Some of the other things I really like:
    -The Playbook has really good media capabilities; good video playback, and really good stereo sound. I watch all my downloaded TV episodes on it. (iPad, but comparison, only has mono speakers; you need headphones for stereo).
    -I have found almost everything I need as far as apps go. There are plenty of good ebook readers, etc. etc.
    -The test entry/editing is pretty decent. At least one can, in contrast to the iPad, at least place the cursor in the middle of a word (to correct it or whatever).
    01-09-12 04:55 AM
    Look into my eyes...you are getting very sleepy...you will do anything I command...you will go out and buy a Playbook....you will really love it...and you will go to crackberry forum and thank robtanz seven times....
    Nasedo73, kennyliu and tonman12 like this.
    01-09-12 05:56 AM
    if you havin tablet problems i feel bad for you son. i had 99 problems but since i bought a playbook i only have one. needs more free apps and apk sideloading then it would truely be the best tablet out there. or a dualboot of android. those two would both be amazing. i bought the playbook because of potential(brand loyalty might have influenced me ever so slightly). of course you could buy a playbook and root it giving yourself access to the android market.
    01-09-12 06:28 AM
    because you have these features to look forward to in about a months time...

RIM Previews BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 at CES
    01-09-12 08:01 AM
    I do not know your wants or needs for a tablet.
    But what I do know is you will not be disappointed in the abilities of this product.(smooth and easy).
    01-09-12 08:01 AM
    I do not know your wants or needs for a tablet.
    But what I do know is you will not be disappointed in the abilities of this product.(smooth and easy).
    ....and professional grade.
    01-09-12 08:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD