So I had the issue with BlackBerry Bridge messages whereby it gets caught in a loading loop (3rd time now). So I backed my PB up and performed a security wipe.

Then installed all the latest OS and software updates and connected to the Desktop Software to perform the restore from the backup I created. But now I get a message saying that it is an incompatible OS and that I need to update the PB. I've run a check for updates both on the PB and through the Desktop Software and it says I have the latest software available - 2.0.1 Bundle 358.

I've a lot of data that I need on the backup including family photographs and work documents - please help!
    09-12-12 02:18 AM
    I had a similar problem. I traced it to the fact that I had changed the password on my BlackBerry ID after I completed the wipe and the OS install. The error message was something like "cannot complete restore because os version is different.". I think it presented me with an option to "upgrade" the os to .358 even tho my pb was already on .358. It was very frustrating. I called the 1-800 support number and they suggested I do the specified upgrade. I did and funnily enough the restore proceeded after that.

I would call the support # and get them to talk you thru it. Your situation might be different from mine.
    09-12-12 10:51 AM
    If you were on the pulled. 668 os, you are probably out of luck until RIM releases an OS higer than. 668.
    09-12-12 10:58 AM
    If you were on the pulled. 668 os, you are probably out of luck until RIM releases an OS higer than. 668.
    And isn't that wonderful. How long ago was .668 out and pulled? And still crickets chirping other than some quote from John in beta zone saying now carriers have to approve updates? It's going to months before anything new will be released.
    09-12-12 11:44 AM
    So sorry to hear it. As stated above, if you were on .668 you won't be able to restore from a backup until RIM releases an update ("soon" or "just around the corner" I hear ) or you go with the beta. I've started backing up my media files manually by dragging and dropping into a folder on my pc and only using DM for App Data and Settings. Sad that it's come to that but there have been so many issues with DM in the past (for some of us at least) I don't trust it any more. Sure hope you can get your stuff back.
    09-12-12 11:45 AM
    You can update to 2.1 and restore without problems... Or u can do what i did... ---> http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...p-file-739789/
    09-12-12 02:26 PM
    Are you trying the "full" backup? If so, try to reload the 3 individual data sets (applications, data and media? Forgot what they are, but there are 3 of them) separately. I had the same issue in the past and this worked for me.

KRS
    09-12-12 03:23 PM
    I was able to read a backup from 2.0.1.668 on the 2.1.0.840 beta, which was not being recognized at all.

[Should work between any OS versions 2.x.x.xxx]

It requires a bit of work changing a file in the backup file (the file called [xxxxxx].bbb where [xxxxxx] = the name of your backup)

[The .bbb file appears to be a zip archive of a number of QNX tar archives ( 1 or more) with a Manifest file & PkgInfo file to describe the overall 'Backup' package.]

Please read the attached .pdf (too big to post as it contains screen caps)

This has worked with no problem and may solve your problem.
    Last edited by GrapheneMan; 09-12-12 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Clarify not just 2.0.1.668 --> 2.1.0.840
    Cushie72 likes this.
    09-12-12 05:05 PM
    GrapheneMan you are a scholar and a gent. That has worked a treat - Thanks!
    09-13-12 05:18 AM
    Glad I could help
    09-13-12 10:47 AM
    Jeez, what a mess this has become. Are you guys finding your backup files because mine simply disappeared. I connect my PB and no back up files show when I hit restore :s
    09-16-12 01:52 PM
    They should be there, it is just they are not being listed as they are not being recognized as valid for the version of OS you have.

(Unless you have deleted them from your PC ??????)

Read the pdf it tells you how to find where your backups really are on your PC.

or

The BlackBerry Desktop Software will tell you where your backup is saved if you select 'Device Options' and hover the mouse cursor on the Blue underlined text next to the Change Button. [A pop-up tooltip will appear with the full path]

Navigate to the path, as above, in Explorer and list the files in the '...\BlackBerry\Backup\' directory.

They should be *.bbb.
    If nothing lists they have gone, reason unknown.
    Vector-SS likes this.
    09-16-12 02:42 PM
    And isn't that wonderful. How long ago was .668 out and pulled? And still crickets chirping other than some quote from John in beta zone saying now carriers have to approve updates? It's going to months before anything new will be released.
    Ohhhhhhhhh, someone is grouchy this morning (oh, that was a few mornings ago)! Is that "carrier" crap still the current info? I've missed posts here and there logging on while in and out of wifi zones near Glacier National Park.
    Last edited by F2; 09-16-12 at 02:46 PM.
    09-16-12 02:44 PM
    Ohhhhhhhhh, someone is grouchy this morning (oh, that was a few mornings ago)! Is that "carrier" crap still the current info? I've missed posts here and there logging on while in and out of wifi zones near Glacier National Park.
    LOL and yes I was yesterday. And I do think this pb update thing is a cluster. No word that they pulled it, just not available, no word on when to have a fix for the botched update and told to just use the beta that has it's own issues.
    09-16-12 02:56 PM
    LOL and yes I was yesterday. And I do think this pb update thing is a cluster. No word that they pulled it, just not available, no word on when to have a fix for the botched update and told to just use the beta that has it's own issues.
    Even with all the "clusters" I am still somewhat amazed that Rim has not addressed this issue. No acceptance of the issue. No real comments on the issue. It as if it never happened. It is an appalling way to do business. I would imagine if this was really a platform anyone depended on, particularly corporate clients, they could never get away with this behavior. As it is, the press barely follows rim/bb and so there is no adverse publicity to come from it. I really believe that if MS or Apple or whomever issued an update, recalled it, leaving some in the nether regions, there'd be a ton of bad press or questions raised.

So Clewley or whomever has not addressed this in tweets? Not in any of their "official" forums?

Wonder why our investigative press at CB has not gotten on the case?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-16-12 06:36 PM
    They should be there, it is just they are not being listed as they are not being recognized as valid for the version of OS you have.

(Unless you have deleted them from your PC ??????)

Read the pdf it tells you how to find where your backups really are on your PC.

or

The BlackBerry Desktop Software will tell you where your backup is saved if you select 'Device Options' and hover the mouse cursor on the Blue underlined text next to the Change Button. [A pop-up tooltip will appear with the full path]

Navigate to the path, as above, in Explorer and list the files in the '...\BlackBerry\Backup\' directory.

They should be *.bbb.
    If nothing lists they have gone, reason unknown.
    I was able to find the file .bbb file placed in a different folder. However, when I attempt to replace the edited Manifest.xml file back into the winrar window to replace the old one, the winrar diagnostic messages pops up saying: "the archive is corrupt" - referring to the .bbb file.
    Last edited by Vector-SS; 09-17-12 at 12:56 AM.
    09-17-12 12:44 AM
    Vector-SS,
    When you open the original *.bbb file select the option in WinRAR to test the archive.

It will read through the *.bbb file and check the files in the archive against the recorded checksums, if it fails the *.bbb is corrupt.

If this is the case you are out of luck.

Do a search across the whole PC for *.bbb and check the dates of the files found, are there any other copies around ?

Not a lot else I can suggest at this point.

Sorry.
    09-17-12 04:44 AM
    Vector-SS,
    When you open the original *.bbb file select the option in WinRAR to test the archive.

It will read through the *.bbb file and check the files in the archive against the recorded checksums, if it fails the *.bbb is corrupt.

If this is the case you are out of luck.

Do a search across the whole PC for *.bbb and check the dates of the files found, are there any other copies around ?

Not a lot else I can suggest at this point.

Sorry.
    Yup, seems something is corrupt in the file: "CRC Failed in Archive\media.tar. The file is corrupt"
    09-17-12 08:14 AM
    Hi when I tried this method, the file will not overwrite properly it seems. When I drag the edited file over, it ultimately makes another manifiest.xml file as a winrar zip file. Am I doing something wrong here?
    02-14-13 08:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD