Seriously !

I've been using a Blurex case for a while, and I love it.

There is one problem though : the PB's touchscreen seems sensitive to the interior of the case's flap. For example, when I close the case and pick up the tablet later on, most of the time some app will have been opened. Or, if I leave a pdf document opened, the page will have changed. Sometimes, a whole new pdf will be opened instead of the one I was reading.

Also, a few times, the PB started making funny machine gun popping sounds when I left it unattended with the case closed. When I opened it to check, I discovered that the case was repeatedly trying to open an app, but that a �Do you give this app permission to...� dialog box kept it from it.
    So I deduct that the case pressed against the screen in a manner that equated to repeated instructions; which might explain why I sometimes feel that my battery drains way too quickly...

All that's very annoying, but I have worked around it so far by always locking the screen before closing the case. At least the only thing that can happen is that the case will make the password dialog pop up. Or so I thought...
    Today, I opened the case to find the password dialog opened, with a 3/10 attempts warning !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Now that's scary ! What if it had gone up to 10/10 ? All my data would have been wiped.

I can't for the life of me understand how a closed up case acts like this with the screen. But I need to find a solution : both to stop my battery from draining when I'm not using it, and to prevent a password catastrophe.
    Any ideas ?
    12-06-12 06:13 PM
    No, after the 4th attempt or so, you have to type the word "blackberry"... Which im prettybsure your case wont be able to do.
    angkorbeer likes this.
    12-06-12 06:23 PM
    No, after the 4th attempt or so, you have to type the word "blackberry"... Which im prettybsure your case wont be able to do.
    I have set it with a password. And from what I understand, 10 failed attempts will result in all the data being deleted.
    12-06-12 06:37 PM
    Anyways, one solution for sure is to always shut the tablet down. But given the loading time...

I was wondering if there was any way to make the touchscreen not sensitive to the case's flap.
    12-06-12 06:39 PM
    I have set it with a password. And from what I understand, 10 failed attempts will result in all the data being deleted.
    What the other poster means is that after 4 attempts or so it will ask you to enter "blackberry" BEFORE it lets you attempt to enter your password again -- so until you enter "blackberry" you can't make any further password attempts. This is designed to prevent exactly what you are concerned with (or probably little fingers that don't understand from wiping you PB).
    angkorbeer likes this.
    12-06-12 06:45 PM
    Damn those cursed blurex cases. Its all an Apple plot. They the running dogs of anti RIM fascist media.
    angkorbeer likes this.
    12-06-12 07:00 PM
    What the other poster means is that after 4 attempts or so it will ask you to enter "blackberry" BEFORE it lets you attempt to enter your password again -- so until you enter "blackberry" you can't make any further password attempts. This is designed to prevent exactly what you are concerned with (or probably little fingers that don't understand from wiping you PB).
    Oh, I see. Didn't know that. Thanks both for the info.

Still, if the (evil) case keeps acting like fingers on the screen, I need to solve the issue in terms of battery usage...
    12-06-12 07:15 PM
    I would play with the case on the pb and see if it really is the case doing it. Open it and close it without touching the screen yourself. Tap it when closed, massage it against the screen. Are you sure you do not have any other electronic devices or Plasma tv's nearby? Microwave, Lightning Globe (sort of toy). Could you be generating static electricity on/with the case?
    12-06-12 08:01 PM
    Maybe time for a new case.
    12-06-12 08:15 PM
    I would play with the case on the pb and see if it really is the case doing it. Open it and close it without touching the screen yourself. Tap it when closed, massage it against the screen. Are you sure you do not have any other electronic devices or Plasma tv's nearby? Microwave, Lightning Globe (sort of toy). Could you be generating static electricity on/with the case?
    Well, concerning possible interference, no, I don't have anything like that around. Also, this behaviour occurs when I'm moving around : say, when the tablet is in my bag, on the bus for example. Plus, if that were the case, the tablet would be acting up even when it's not in the case, which it doesn't, wouldn't it ?

The static electricity could be it though. Whichever, I find it disappointing that a case designed for such tablets would have that flaw...
    Now, I'm thinking I should find some kind of piece of fabric to insert between the screen and the flap. Or maybe cut out a piece from one of those anti-static plastic bags they use with hard disks and other computer parts... Maybe that'd do it.

Maybe time for a new case.
    You know, I'm not that old, not at all, but I remember a time when you bought a telephone and you were set for life. Same for your tv, your washing machine, and just about any appliance. Now, it seems everything is designed to last a year at the most...

If I really do need a new case to solve this -- after what, 2 months ?!!! -- I think I'll move up North, far far away in the woods.
    12-06-12 08:35 PM
    Lots of Blurex cases out there and your PB doesn't like yours . Maybe it is demanding a new, more expensive case. Hope all the other Blurex cases don't hear about this. Just to be sure we are talking about the Blurex Slim Leather Portfolio Case with two Tier Stand for Blackberry Playbook which does not have the sleep wake function. Interested because I have two of these cases.
    12-06-12 11:58 PM
    I've had this same issue with the blacberry leather case. It was just dust and stuff creating static on the inside of the case. I cleaned it off and the problem went away. Used a damp cloth to keep from adding more static. Good luck. Those cases look much nicer than mine.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    12-07-12 03:24 AM
    I've had this same issue with the blacberry leather case. It was just dust and stuff creating static on the inside of the case. I cleaned it off and the problem went away. Used a damp cloth to keep from adding more static. Good luck. Those cases look much nicer than mine.
    Yeah, I also thought dirt, and maybe finger grease, was responsible.
    But I'm not sure I would use a damp cloth in this case, as the flap's interior is not waterproof. I'll try vacuuming for a start.

Thanks.
    12-07-12 09:37 AM
    But I'm not sure I would use a damp cloth in this case, as the flap's interior is not waterproof. I'll try vacuuming for a start.

Thanks.
    I said damp cloth, not soaking wet. haha. Well vacuum works just as well. Hope it fixed the annoyance. Hasn't been an issue for me since.

Cheers.
    12-07-12 03:07 PM
    I have 2 PB's both using Blurex cases and I tested it - your problem is NOT the case. You may have other issue as outlined in other posts here. It is easy to test, close lid and start pushing on outside with various levels of pressure. In never changed anything on my screen.
    12-07-12 03:48 PM
    I have 2 PB's both using Blurex cases and I tested it - your problem is NOT the case. You may have other issue as outlined in other posts here. It is easy to test, close lid and start pushing on outside with various levels of pressure. In never changed anything on my screen.
    As I said earlier, this never happens when the case is not closed.
    Also, if it's a matter of the case being dirty and somehow generating static electricity, then pressing on it wouldn't be conclusive as a test.
    12-07-12 04:28 PM
    Back to a basic question or two? Does this happen if the pb is just sitting around? In your pocket? Only in the attache case or similar? Maybe two surfaces (blurex and attache) are generating the static electricity?
    12-07-12 05:00 PM
    Back to a basic question or two? Does this happen if the pb is just sitting around? In your pocket? Only in the attache case or similar? Maybe two surfaces (blurex and attache) are generating the static electricity?
    It happens both when it's sitting on a table and in my pack sack (in a side pocket that's just the right size, so it doesn't move around).

At first, I thought it was the action of closing or opening the flap that would press on the screen. But then I had those experiences that I related in the 1st post : 1) The pb resting on the table that started emitting machine gun sounds, because an app was trying to open but there was a 1st use dialog box. So it was acting as if I had been repeatedly pressing on the screen. And 2) that experience when I opened the case to learn that 3 attempts at entering the password had been registered. Again, the pb was resting on a table when that happened.
    Otherwise, what usually happens is I'll close all apps, close the case, and when I open it again, 1 or 2 apps will be opened.

All this suggest that it's more than pressing against the case that causes it. Even when it's resting and I don't touch it, it'll register several actions.
    12-07-12 05:51 PM
    Just thought I'd update this thread.

Finally, my solution has been to put a cleaning cloth on the screen before closing the Blurex's flap. Works so far.

I wasn't so worried about the password thing in the end, but the screen being activated randomly when the case was closed both messed up with the apps and used the battery.

Anyways, thanks to all for the tips.
    01-15-13 12:29 PM