I have a new PlayBook and one is running at a higher version than the other one so the Device Manager won't allow me to restore the lower version PlayBook with the higher version backup file.

The bad thing is the higher one is on .668 I think, which RIM eventually blocked or took down so now I'm stuck with two PB's on different versions and I really need to transfer a lot of data, some of which cannot be done manually!

Anyone got any good solutions I could use??
    09-05-12 02:38 PM
    could you map both pbs as network drives via pc and transfer the data that way? then restore/ wipe the sick one?
    Scotter75 likes this.
    09-05-12 02:47 PM
    I don't think you can restore a backup from one PlayBook onto another PlayBook. This is by design.
    09-05-12 02:58 PM
    I have a new PlayBook and one is running at a higher version than the other one so the Device Manager won't allow me to restore the lower version PlayBook with the higher version backup file.

The bad thing is the higher one is on .668 I think, which RIM eventually blocked or took down so now I'm stuck with two PB's on different versions and I really need to transfer a lot of data, some of which cannot be done manually!

Anyone got any good solutions I could use??
    When you say you've got a lot of data - what is it that you want copy into your working PB?

Drop Box or SugarSync etc can't do it?

Box gives you 50GB of free data if you download the Box app from PB App World.
    09-05-12 05:23 PM
    Have you considered extracting your backups instead? Try using a 3rd party software that can extract the PB data from the backup for you. Use Blackberry Backup Extractor at blackberryconverter.com, it might help as it can extract both IPD and BBB backup files and even encrypted backup files.
    09-10-12 07:48 AM
    Have you considered extracting your backups instead? Try using a 3rd party software that can extract the PB data from the backup for you. Use Blackberry Backup Extractor at blackberryconverter.com, it might help as it can extract both IPD and BBB backup files and even encrypted backup files.
    A selective restore using the BlackBerry Desktop Software might be an easier approach and should allow restoration to another tablet. With a selective restore you must avoid any of the databases containing tablet-specific configuration data. If you are only interested in the data files (ebook, music, video, photographs, documents) and/or applications, simply connect the source tablet to the computer via WiFi or USB cable and copy those files to the computer; disconnect the tablet from the computer; connect the target tablet to the computer and copy the files back into the appropriate subdirectories; access BlackBerry AppWorld and choose reinstall for all applications in MyWorld.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    09-10-12 08:24 AM
    Main thing is all my apps, games and system settings. I might just wait for the new OS update which should level all PB's in terms of OS versions but I've already been waiting ages and its annoying me now!

How reliable are the third party backup solutions?

Thanks for all this feedback everyone you've really expanded my options!!
    09-11-12 05:55 PM
    A selective restore using the BlackBerry Desktop Software might be an easier approach and should allow restoration to another tablet. With a selective restore you must avoid any of the databases containing tablet-specific configuration data. If you are only interested in the data files (ebook, music, video, photographs, documents) and/or applications, simply connect the source tablet to the computer via WiFi or USB cable and copy those files to the computer; disconnect the tablet from the computer; connect the target tablet to the computer and copy the files back into the appropriate subdirectories; access BlackBerry AppWorld and choose reinstall for all applications in MyWorld.
    I might try this. Will it save my positions in all the games though?
    09-11-12 05:56 PM
    See Help - can't restore from Back-up!

Check the Manifest.xml file in the backup *.bbb file.
    09-14-12 07:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD