ok I'm really frustrated right now as I have wasted countless hours trying to back up my playbook using blackberry desktop software with no luck.
    Yes, I am using the current version of the blackberry desktop software.

I have tried on 3 different computers with no luck, I keep getting the same error message:

"There was an error backing up. There could have been a problem with the device or connection during the backup. Verify that the device is turned on and connected."

I have tried custom backup (selected data only), Full (all device and settings).

Yes I have done a search of the forums, and it seems other people are having the same problem, and doesn't appear to be any solution?

Was anyone in a similar boat finally able to do a backup?

(I have wifi,bridge,bluetooth all turned off).

Thanks for any help.
    12-05-11 08:07 PM
    did you try restarting both the pb as well as your pc?
    12-05-11 08:12 PM
    did you try restarting both the pb as well as your pc?
    yes. many times .thanks for your reply.
    12-05-11 08:14 PM
    Are you on the dev beta version OS2 on your PB?
    12-05-11 08:14 PM
    Are you on the dev beta version OS2 on your PB?
    no. on the official current os version ..whatever it is..1.08 or something like that. I haven't mucked around with my playbook in any way.
    12-05-11 08:17 PM
    no. on the official current os version ..whatever it is..1.08 or something like that. I haven't mucked around with my playbook in any way.
    ok, let me see if I can find someone to help. I know it's frustrating, but hang on!
    12-05-11 08:24 PM
    I have had that problem since April. A debrick or security wipe would get it working again for a while and then it would fail backups again. When the Mac version of Desktop manager started supporting backups of the PlayBook, I tried it and it worked when the Windows version was not working.

If you do not have access to a Mac, try doing partial backups of your data using desktop manager and then use the debrick process and restore your data. You will have to reinstall your apps using app world.
    12-05-11 08:26 PM
    I don't use DM to backup as I mess around enough with mine that I don't care about settings or game scores etc. I only copy and paste the files I want to keep but something that has helped people in the past with phones.

Laptop? Make sure all power saving settings for usb are set to not to allow sleep.

Uninstall DM, download ccleaner (newest version on the right side toward the top) Download CCleaner 3.13.1600 - FileHippo.com and install it.

Run ccleaner and run the cleaner. Click on registry on the left, scan for issues and then fix save a copy of the registry it will ask if you want to.

Reboot your computer. Run ccleaner again and reboot. Download DM again https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/D...247A852FAD3647 and install.

Run dm and see what happen. Nothing says this will work as it may be due to corrupted files on the playbook or some other oddity but won't hurt to try.
    jafobabe likes this.
    12-05-11 08:39 PM
    Mine had not worked since June. All kinds of versions of DM. UNinstall, REinstall. Reboots.

Yesterday I finally did a security wipe and, so far, I have been able to backup. It was tedious restoring 20gigs of files. And I have not finished installing all of the apps.

Whether it will continue to work is a question for another day. I've made 4 sequential backups, as I added another 5 or 6 apps back. We shall see.

Good luck.
    12-05-11 08:44 PM
    Back up your personal data. It is often apps that stall the back up so don't back them up. Should they be lost they are easily reacquired from your appworld account.
    jafobabe likes this.
    12-05-11 08:50 PM
    Back up your personal data. It is often apps that stall the back up so don't back them up. Should they be lost they are easily reacquired from your appworld account.
    OP tried a custom.
    12-05-11 08:56 PM
    I have had no luck backing up.Rim is working on the issue with no apparent luck.
    12-05-11 09:20 PM
    wow, when reading some of the issues i think i am blessed. Knock on wood i have not come across any of this. Do realize it must be frustrating as even now with all new gadget's it is still plug and pray rather than plug and play!
    12-05-11 10:34 PM
    Mine had not worked since June. All kinds of versions of DM. UNinstall, REinstall. Reboots.

Yesterday I finally did a security wipe and, so far, I have been able to backup. It was tedious restoring 20gigs of files. And I have not finished installing all of the apps.

Whether it will continue to work is a question for another day. I've made 4 sequential backups, as I added another 5 or 6 apps back. We shall see.

Good luck.

wow..so I might have to do a security wipe just to maybe get backup working?....I might give it a try...bloody hilarious isn't it. all I can say is I am really pissed off at RIM right now not bothering to fix this issue, or give any support with this issue.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
    12-06-11 06:15 PM
    I was just reading on another forum that some have been able to backup by trying and having it fail then trying again and it fails again and the third time trying it finished.

Not sure but worth a try I guess.
    12-06-11 06:51 PM
    wow..so I might have to do a security wipe just to maybe get backup working?....I might give it a try...bloody hilarious isn't it. all I can say is I am really pissed off at RIM right now not bothering to fix this issue, or give any support with this issue.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
    I certainly canNOT promise that a Security Wipe will fix the backup problem. Someone else mentioned the problem returned. I have no idea if the next app I install might kill it again.

I will say that while restoration "only" involves copying stuff back to the pb, it is not as simple as pointing to a folder of backup files and copying it back to the pb. I'd say it took me a good 6 or 7 hours to copy 20gigs back to the pb. And app installation is not the fastest process either.
    12-06-11 07:10 PM
    I had the same issue a few weeks back and was able to walk through it with the help of PB support. There was no need to "wipe" the device.

When you connect the PB to your DM software, cancel any backup operation that begins and select "Device Options". Then select the "Backup" tab. From here select the "Custom" backup and ensure that the "Application Data" option is NOT checked, not ideal but this will at least allow for backing up your media and settings.

When I called support, they were aware of the issue but did not give me a timeline for the fix.

I hope this helps.
    12-06-11 07:34 PM
    I had the same issue a few weeks back and was able to walk through it with the help of PB support. There was no need to "wipe" the device.

When you connect the PB to your DM software, cancel any backup operation that begins and select "Device Options". Then select the "Backup" tab. From here select the "Custom" backup and ensure that the "Application Data" option is NOT checked, not ideal but this will at least allow for backing up your media and settings.

When I called support, they were aware of the issue but did not give me a timeline for the fix.

I hope this helps.
    That does not work if the CUSTOM fails before you get a chance to select which of the 3 choices you want. Mine never finished whatever process leads to the 3 choices. I forget the error message but it fails after you select custom and then begins a process - then fails. Others have posted the error message - it is a different error message than the one you get when the Full backup fails.
    12-06-11 08:35 PM
    it definitely won't back up.. the ones who did the security wipe can confirm that after doing it it works?? cause i'm gonna lose some free / now paid apps. at least it'd be nice to be sure that it won't be in vain. thanks!
    12-07-11 11:00 AM
    it definitely won't back up.. the ones who did the security wipe can confirm that after doing it it works?? cause i'm gonna lose some free / now paid apps. at least it'd be nice to be sure that it won't be in vain. thanks!
    All I can confirm is that it worked on my unit. (tell you what, I'll try again now....). I canNOT promise it will work for you.

I also lost some of those formerly free apps. That's the way faults in the pb affect us, I guess.

Okay, Custom came up with the 3 options. Will backup. It is now backing up (I added Need for speed and Nova last night, so the backup is reasonable test)

As an aside, it also noted that there is the new update for the pb. I passed on that for the moment.

Oh, you might lose the HD Demo Video with the turtle!!
    12-07-11 12:14 PM
    All I can confirm is that it worked on my unit. (tell you what, I'll try again now....). I canNOT promise it will work for you.

I also lost some of those formerly free apps. That's the way faults in the pb affect us, I guess.

Okay, Custom came up with the 3 options. Will backup. It is now backing up (I added Need for speed and Nova last night, so the backup is reasonable test)

As an aside, it also noted that there is the new update for the pb. I passed on that for the moment.

Oh, you might lose the HD Demo Video with the turtle!!
    ohh, i'll miss the turtle!! lol

Ok, thanks!! i'll wait for your results and eventually take the shot..

hope RIM gets it fixed anyway !!
    12-07-11 01:00 PM
    That last backup worked (sorry, went to the gym).

I believe if you use the DEBRICK method (as opposed to Security wipe) you will get the turtle, again.
    12-07-11 02:48 PM
    That is my playbook I will find you give it back it has my school work and my kids pictures on it
    12-07-11 07:24 PM
    cool.. thanks F2.. ill give it a shot and report back.. wish me luck.. lol
    12-09-11 01:18 PM
    cool.. thanks F2.. ill give it a shot and report back.. wish me luck.. lol
    Good luck (fingers crossed)
    12-09-11 03:02 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD