My biggest issue with the playbook is that I am always redirected to mobile version of main websites, most of which have limited features and access. This is really ruining my browsing experience. Is there a way to set the browser to desktop mode?
    02-11-12 03:18 AM
    i believed that when you visits website there's option whether mobile or desktop version to use.

anyways my playbook open websites in full desktop version, all the time
    02-11-12 03:39 AM
    I am by no means a Playbook expert (still awaiting shipment of mine here at my camp in Afghanistan), but I would ask how are you connect to the internet? Are you using a WiFi connection?

I don't have the ability to test anything, and even when my PB gets here and IF I can bridge to my Torch (no data connections here for my phone either) I would wonder if you are bridging, affects the type of websites you attach to.

Just a semi-educated guess on my part, hopefully someone with more experience can give you a better answer.
    02-11-12 07:24 AM
    How about an example of the websites - I usually have no issues
    02-11-12 07:26 AM
    Some sites have a link that allows you to go to the full site but you have to look for it - then some folks have that as a bookmark.

The possible other option is the 3rd party browsers that allow you to emulate another browser like Firefox or IE or Chrome, etc. Sometimes that little "lie" gets the full site.
    02-11-12 09:18 AM
    Im talking about google sites. Is it just me or do all google mobile sites suck big times. i need to access google calendar and google reader. there is no link to the desktop version.
    02-12-12 12:10 AM
    A lot depends on the site that you want. If there is a mobile version as with say, twitter, then the that's where the browser will go. It is a mobile device after all. Non mobile sites I have no problem with.
    02-12-12 05:21 AM
    A lot depends on the site that you want. If there is a mobile version as with say, twitter, then the that's where the browser will go. It is a mobile device after all. Non mobile sites I have no problem with.
    I guess you are correct - it is a mobile device and that leads to mobile versions of sites. BUT I would hope that in OS2, Rim recognizes that they claim this is a full-featured Browser and have some option to fully change the user agent and whatever else is necessary (the hulu affect where it knows the version of flash) to "fool" a site about the Browser's origins. It can be pretty annoying visiting sites and winding up with a less than stellar experience.
    02-12-12 09:06 AM
    You might want to try, "SimpleBrowser" on the App market. It has the ability to pretend to be Mozilla or other desktop browsers. There's a free version to try!! it works well.
    KermEd likes this.
    02-12-12 09:13 AM
    As said above, same with me, the majority of sites I go to are the full html sites, not mobile. But when I am directed to a mobile site, I always find an option at the bottom or top that allows me to choose the full html site. I do this with Goodle Calendar and other Google sites. Ebay does this too.

Doesn't happen on the PB much, bit often on my phone. I do think it's the browser.
    02-12-12 10:36 AM
    i know for gmail it brings you to a mobile/tablet site... but if you go to the bottom there is options to run the site in 'desktop' 'html' or other things. if you click that it works just like your computer, but for some reason it doesnt save the option and will always revert back to the mobile/tablet version when you revisit

but it is only a one click fix so i dont mind
    02-12-12 04:35 PM
    How about an example of the websites - I usually have no issues
    Try blackberry.com
    02-12-12 04:42 PM
    Try blackberry.com
    Yes, it changed to touch.blackberry.com then I can change to desktop or mobile.
    02-12-12 05:36 PM
    try this:
    iPhone in Canada Blog - Canada's #1 iPhone Blog
    can't for life of me get it to with to the non mobile site.....
    02-12-12 08:17 PM
    try this:
    iPhone in Canada Blog - Canada's #1 iPhone Blog
    can't for life of me get it to with to the non mobile site.....
    Not finding a fix for that one. I don't know if simple browser would work setting ipad, firefox or others as the user agent would do or not.

I would try as I have simple browser but I wiped my pb and am not adding anything back until after 2 shows.

Edit: I went on my laptop and clicked on the forums tab. I then typed forums.iphoneincanada.ca in the address bar and it looks the same on the playbook as the laptop.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 02-12-12 at 08:42 PM. Reason: info
    02-12-12 08:38 PM
    Is this the full site or??? Simple Browser, IE as user agent:
    02-12-12 09:27 PM
    Yep, that's the full site. With SimpleBrowse+ I got the same result with the user agent set to Firefox. I also tried Secure Browser with the user agent set to Firefox as well, but was still directed to the mobile site. However when I went to the bottom of the page there was an On/Off option for the mobile theme. Once switched off the full desktop version of the site loaded.
    02-12-12 09:46 PM
    Is this the full site or??? Simple Browser, IE as user agent:
    that is full site.
    My point was the stock browser can't run the non mobile version
    02-12-12 10:14 PM
    I tried with the 2.0 beta browser and though you get the option at the bottom of the page to turn off the mobile view, when the page refreshes the mobile view is back and the mobile switch goes back to on. My blog uses WPTouch as well but the full site displays on every browser on the Playbook. I notice they are using the 2.5 Pro version and my blog is using the 1.9 free version so I'm wondering if there is an option to force it. My version doesn't, only an option to present the desktop version on first visit. It may be possible that they have something configured in WPTouch causing this behavior based upon the user agent string.
    02-13-12 12:26 AM
    i know for gmail it brings you to a mobile/tablet site... but if you go to the bottom there is options to run the site in 'desktop' 'html' or other things. if you click that it works just like your computer, but for some reason it doesnt save the option and will always revert back to the mobile/tablet version when you revisit

but it is only a one click fix so i dont mind

Gmail and Google search are ok, it doesnt really matter cuz all the features are available in the mobile sites. As for the rest, its a much bigger issue. Maybe someone can make my day and hook me up with a link to the desktop only version of Google Calendar and Google Reader
    02-13-12 01:15 AM
    Gmail and Google search are ok, it doesnt really matter cuz all the features are available in the mobile sites. As for the rest, its a much bigger issue. Maybe someone can make my day and hook me up with a link to the desktop only version of Google Calendar and Google Reader
    I found a solution for Google Reader here: How to View the Full Version of Sites in Opera Mini and Other Mobile Browsers | Wap Review

Try: http://www.google.com/reader/view/

This gives the normal desktop version. I was happy until I tried to scroll the list of feeds in the Playbook browser and found it to be an exercise in frustration. Anyone have any hints on how to navigate this site with the Playbook?
    02-24-12 08:13 AM
    This is late but I did figure out a simple solution for you.

Into the website address field type: www.google.com/calendar/render

Voila! Problem solved. Then add a bookmark for easy access.
    03-07-13 01:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD