Hi,

(Hope this is the right place to post this.)

I need some hand holding. I am seriously thinking of purchasing a Playbook. I have never owned any tablet so is this a good one to start with? Is it easy enough for a beginner?

In researching the Playbook I saw Adroids apps can be used with a little tinkering. How much? I know there are a few apps that are Android that I definitely want to use(Swagbucks) and wondering if this is possible. I saw in the 101's a way of rooting/jailbreaking to play the Android Market but what if you do not want to do that. Is there another way? Can Amazon's App store be loaded?

I know I will have more questions but this is it for now. Thanks for any/all help!
    09-16-12 12:32 PM
    Hello there!!
    Well one thing I would suggest is research thoroughly before buying the Playbook cos it like any other device has its pros and cons.
    As for that app I have never tried it.
    As of the latest OS release 2.0.1 / 2.1 rooting is not possible. And even if rooted in future installing Android market is unlikely (RIM disabled account sync)..
    Amazon App store no idea again..
    As for Android apps: All apps wil not run. Especially those which use native code will not run.. Best thing to do is search the Android app section or google whether what you want works..
    09-16-12 12:42 PM
    PlayBook is an awesome tablet but the only thing that wrong with it is that it lacks some vital apps. Looking at the bright side a lot of developers are now focusing on developing apps for playbook. With BB10 releasing we can expect more apps.

I share the same opinion as the above comment.
    Not all android app work
    Rooting not possible on the latest OS.

I've owned PlayBook for over a year now, and I feel its the best piece of hardware that you can get in the market at that price range.
    I make youtube video about my PlayBook, I hope this helps you decide whether to purchase or not.
    youtube.com/limetrip
    09-16-12 12:51 PM
    My Playbook is my first tablet. After learning the swiping gestures its pretty easy & intuitive

I also found this site helpful BlackBerry PlayBook For Dummies Cheat Sheet - For Dummies
    jafobabe likes this.
    09-16-12 12:57 PM
    First, welcome to the site.

Next, the pb can NO longer be rooted so Android Market itself will not work.

Actually, there are Android apps already available through BB's Appworld but they are not specifically identified (one recent one I just downloaded - mapping - Nogago). Then others can be sideloaded (no rooting but some additional steps).

I don't believe the Amazon store can be loaded. There is a Kindle app that can be sideloaded and I've got a version of Words-with-friends loaded.
    09-16-12 02:34 PM
    Like others have said - make sure you first absolutely know what you want out of a tablet...
    ...If you don't want to use things like Skype, Netflix or most of the other popular apps the PB is great.
    ...I bought two of them for video calling to Asia and they work EXCELLENT!

I've been very pleased with the battery life, general quality of the hardware and size of the device.....
    ...It sucks that you can't use skype or Netflix and I think that is why you are seeing the PB sell for around 100 bucks now!
    09-16-12 02:44 PM
    Welcome. This forum is the best place for questions about all things BB. I found the site (listed below) has converted some Android Apps that will work on the playbook. You save them on you PB but have to install them using a program on your PC. Their instructions were pretty easy to follow Blackberry Playbook Android Apps | Good e-Reader Android App Market and Store - Playbook App Market and Store
    09-16-12 02:57 PM
    You want a hella cheap tablet with decent web browsing and the ability to upgrade to a newer OS next year? Buy the Playbook. If you want any specific apps, research before you buy. If you just want a huge app selection, stay away.

My wife only uses hers for web browsing and she likes it. I'd advise checking out the options in your price range and asking around at their respective forums to get some insight.
    09-16-12 03:06 PM
    Thanks for alll the welcomes and answers. Gives me a lot to think about and check out.

I like the specs very much and for the price I was seeing (199) a very good deal. At this moment I don't know all the apps I need. I am not to concerned with Skype, Netflix is a little disappointing.

I am reaaly interedted in the camera because I want to use QR codes and possibly use a bank app. Do you think the PB will be good for this?

When reading a Review I saw someone mention they read that there will be full access to the Android Market soon. Is that true and know when?

Thanks again for the friendly welcomes and info!
    09-16-12 04:19 PM
    Thanks for alll the welcomes and answers. Gives me a lot to think about and check out.

I like the specs very much and for the price I was seeing (199) a very good deal. At this moment I don't know all the apps I need. I am not to concerned with Skype, Netflix is a little disappointing.

I am reaaly interedted in the camera because I want to use QR codes and possibly use a bank app. Do you think the PB will be good for this?

When reading a Review I saw someone mention they read that there will be full access to the Android Market soon. Is that true and know when?

Thanks again for the friendly welcomes and info!
    The Android market part is untrue and will likely never happen. Google wouldn't sanction it. Which banking app do you want to use? You should ensure it's available for the Playbook.
    09-16-12 04:25 PM
    Thanks for the help. About the Bank it is a new feature so I don't know all the details.

I keep coming back to PB. SOmething about it I like. I just want to make sure I do what I need.

Do you think Blackeberry 10 will make a difference on the PB?
    09-18-12 07:00 PM
    My credit union doesn't offer an app but I can access my accounts just fine with the browser. I prefer the browser over an app because its familiar to me. It looks just like it does on my PC. The same goes for my mortgage company. They do have an app but I like the browser better.
    BB10 should improve the PB quite a bit but until some uses this new OS, and reports, nobody knows.
    I don't know anything about the app you mentioned.
    09-18-12 07:50 PM
    Keep researching before you purchase. But what fits your needs. Love my PB. Wife likes here DROID tab. Neither of us likes the others tablet.
    09-18-12 08:06 PM
    There is a native QR scanner that works just fine.
    09-18-12 08:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD