Ok, i bought a kindle fire for my fiance and right next to it was a blackberry playbook for the same price 199.00 at radio shack in nyc. I purchased both. I went online and looked up the status on the playbook and there was all sorts of negative and positive things about the longevity of this tablet and rim in general. I held off for 3 entire weeks without opening the box, thinking of returning it, but i did it, i opened up that sucker..lol, I have to say, i have had several tablets (pandigital, itouch and a few generic android tablets from china) and was very fortunate to have sold them to friends and even on ebay. And im very impressed by the performance of this tablet, right from the box i had absolutely no issues, i signed up connected my internet and off i went, i played music,movies, went on websites took pictures went to the app store just about everything you can do on the tablet i did with no issues or lags or crashes, the constuction is solid on this unit, the clarity during video view is fantastic. (trust me, i've toyed with the cheapest knockoffs available..lol).

The only gripe that i do have is the lack of apps on the market, I have purchased a few but its slim pickins'.
    I've had it in my hands for about 3 days now and its very impressive. i will not return it. To me its a keeper. i'm glad i didnt return it, i just hope rim doesnt back down on it's promises on updates and stick true to its word. but i doubt it..
    01-03-12 07:12 PM
    Glad to have you on board I felt the same way. I have a half a dozen Tablets but the PlayBook is the only one that feels "right" to me.

Some missing apps would be nice, I have work-arounds for every app I need that I don't have (currently). But it was a bit of a process getting there.

But after all of that, it was worth the work. The OS performs well in my opinion compared to my other devices.

Ed
    jafobabe likes this.
    01-03-12 07:25 PM
    Yeah for $200 bucks this is a solid device. I bought my niece a knockoff Android
    tablet for $140 and I'm glad she liked it, but the touch screen sucks and slow as compare to the Playbook.
    With the official 2.0 update in Feb you will see a lot of needed apps.
    If you need more now you can do a beta 2.0 update which will get you some
    Android apps.
    01-03-12 07:26 PM
    i knew you would. haha. welcome to the party. your going to love it more and more.
    jafobabe likes this.
    01-03-12 07:29 PM
    Glad to have you on board I felt the same way. I have a half a dozen Tablets but the PlayBook is the only one that feels "right" to me.

Some missing apps would be nice, I have work-arounds for every app I need that I don't have (currently). But it was a bit of a process getting there.

But after all of that, it was worth the work. The OS performs well in my opinion compared to my other devices.

Ed
    Have you found a workable solution for SIP/VOIP?
    KermEd likes this.
    01-03-12 07:29 PM
    ah you know, i was going to do the whole rooting thing, ive done it to all the other tablets ive had, but im just gonna wait until the update, i read that its basically hit or miss with the android apps functioning.
    01-03-12 07:34 PM
    Its the perfect size for travel. I downloaded several movies( MI4, Kung Fu Panda, Sherlock Holmes, several ancient aliens episodes and all the 3rd season of Boonedocks),
    I even played a couple games, and read a book on my PB. The amazing thing was that I never went past 50% battery life.
    01-03-12 07:41 PM
    Its the perfect size for travel. I downloaded several movies( MI4, Kung Fu Panda, Sherlock Holmes, several ancient aliens episodes and all the 3rd season of Boonedocks),
    I even played a couple games, and read a book on my PB. The amazing thing was that I never went past 50% battery life.
    Ancient Aliens Rocks! I thought I was the only one watching that show!
    01-03-12 07:50 PM
    You wait WEEKS to open stuff? O.o

My stepdad does that ands it annoys the heck out of me. He'll let it sit until just before the free return expires. Then he has a very short window to see if the item works the way he want so. And some things ended up being broken, like a set of pots (what is it with me and pots?) where one of the glass lids had broken, and he replaced it the day before the free return/replacement policy expired.

I think he still has a fancy weather station in a box that's been sitting somewhere for a year or two... God forbid that thing is broken or impossible to set up, as it costs $300 iirc.
    01-03-12 07:56 PM
    They are good tablets and hope the update makes them better. I have a 64 gig, and just bought another 16gig from Sprint for $199. Good deal.
    01-03-12 07:58 PM
    Have you found a workable solution for SIP/VOIP?
    Hmm, no. To be honest, its only because I haven't needed one yet - but I can see value in this. I think you should post this idea here. I'd say VOIP can be do-able though.

I don't know if they would accept it in AppWorld, but a side-loaded solution could be drafted for this.
    01-03-12 08:12 PM
    Awesome show. Gotta love the weird hair dude.
    01-03-12 09:25 PM
    Its the perfect size for travel. ...
    ahem ..are you talking about your playbook or your avatar??

OP how could you possibly wait three weeks - ? Patience of a Saint.
    randomact45 and Spencerdl like this.
    01-03-12 11:11 PM
    Hmm, no. To be honest, its only because I haven't needed one yet - but I can see value in this. I think you should post this idea here. I'd say VOIP can be do-able though.

I don't know if they would accept it in AppWorld, but a side-loaded solution could be drafted for this.
    There is a VOIP app, and it's pretty good. The Comwave ePhone. It's in app world.
    01-03-12 11:20 PM
    Im hooked to the point I am second guessing religion...yikes
    01-04-12 05:29 PM
    Awesome show. Gotta love the weird hair dude.
    Finger in the electrical socket dude...hehe, he's passionate about the lil green men
    01-04-12 05:30 PM

Both fit in an overhead
    01-04-12 05:32 PM
    Im hooked to the point I am second guessing religion...yikes
    Y'up!! It's 2012 so we'll see what happens.

"Neo, I believe!" - The Matrix Revolutions
    01-04-12 05:37 PM
    Both fit in an overhead
    Or the trunk of a car?
    randomact45 likes this.
    01-04-12 05:38 PM

Ed
    It's funny I see many say what you say but yet it is the red headed stepchild of tablets. I can't help but love the OS/UI myself.

OP you are a patient one lol.
    01-04-12 05:38 PM

THREE WEEKS?! I was checking mine out as soon as mine was booted up! If i had patience ... I would be a doctor ... OR is that patients
    01-05-12 12:10 AM
    There is a VOIP app, and it's pretty good. The Comwave ePhone. It's in app world.
    I half agree. However, it is an AIR app frontend linked to a VOIP client-AIR gateway run by Comwave. You cannot configure your own credentials. I am seeking a true VOIP client using at least SIP. There are many opensource libraries and programs available, but I only know enough to be dangerous.
    01-08-12 09:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD