Help me out here, last night I found out Currys UK are dropping the price to �169 and they give you a �50 voucher to spend in shop.

Now that's a good deal but I still have a little trouble justifying it in my head, I have a Bold 9900 and a HP Mini(beatsaudio) netbook that is always in my car.

The truth is I don't need a tablet but as a big BB fan I feel I should have one

Wife is willing to put �100 towards it too as a christmas present yet I can't help feeling a little guilty.

Tell me something nice about the PB, especially for in car use as that's where I spend my working day
    12-24-11 03:09 AM
    Sell your mini or a hand-me -down to your wife like I did. Lol. It all depends what your going to use it for. Can you do the same tasks on the PB as you did on your mini? Plus your wifes paying for most of it! I think that's all you need to convince yourself into getting one.
    12-24-11 03:27 AM
    Great minds think alike . I conned my mother into giving me my annual clothes money (well a major portion of it) and my husband into contributing the rest when they went on sale here. I had been WANTING a tablet for a couple of years but don't didn't NEED one (but my old lap did need a new battery ...)
    Last edited by D_Whatley; 12-24-11 at 03:46 AM.
    rotorwrench and flash24 like this.
    12-24-11 03:43 AM
    Depends on your needs. I'm in the field a lot and no wifi, so I Bridge. Works great. I do emails, transfer docs, pull up tech docs from our online service, I have tech docs in pdf that I access too. I do all my service and aircraft record reports on the spot. The perfect field/mobile device for us. The ToughBooks were great, but heavy and bulky whereas the PB fits in my kit. A 10" is too large for my use. You need to get a Ram car mount for it, fantastic for in your auto. Mine mounts to my passenger seat rail on a flex stalk. Unlimited angles and a good working height. They also have a dash and windshield mount.
    cranky_berry likes this.
    12-24-11 03:48 AM
    My first post to crackberry.com, on my new 32GB Playbook which I picked up yesterday from PC World for �199. Just wanted to note that the �50 voucher has restrictions on it; it's valid first few weeks in March and then only on purchases over �200, so not particularly easy to spend. Still, am more then pleased with mine, hoping OS 2.0 sees the light of day and we get a few updates. Other tablet to look at would be the HTC Flyer which seems to be down to �199, perhaps a safer bet since its running Android?
    12-24-11 03:50 AM
    BTW, do some research on the forums for the functions you need and make a judgment on the average fair advice. Most will give you a fair opinion and share the pros and cons they've encountered. There will be, without a doubt, some PB bashers and trolls that have nothing but negatives for any practical use of the PB. You will find that many here use the PB for business purposes and it serves them well. But you need to determine if it will serve your requirements based on your use. Research. Good luck.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 12-24-11 at 04:04 AM.
    12-24-11 03:59 AM
    Is there satnav app for it yet?
    12-24-11 04:16 AM
    i also have a netbook in addition to a 32gb PB.
    I'm on the road most days calling on customers. While i still occasionally pack the netbook if I anticipate several hours "downtime" and intense word docs etc. better handled by netbook....I personally find so many advantages to PB while on the road that i less and less actually fire up the netbook.
    1) Don't have to adjust seat to avoid steering wheel while working.
    2) Instant on of PB v. waiting for netbook to boot.
    3) Customer presentations - was always at least moderately goofy when using netbook for presentations. definitely a coolness factor sharing with customers with PB.....
    4) Form factor. 7" easily carried around - one of the very best features.

i could go on - but if you are out and about ...and have a PB, it won't take you but a couple days until you ask yourself in hindsight why you were spending time weighing the pros and cons...... Pull the trigger... Do it now... You won't regret it.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    12-24-11 05:36 AM
    Take wife's $100, buy the PB and use the $50 voucher on anything for your wife later down the road.
    12-24-11 05:40 AM
    Who cares what your mind/heart says.
    What do YOU say?

I just got mine and I think it's an awesome device.
    You said you're a BB fan so I trust you have a bb smarphone. If you have a data plan then your bb playbook will truly be fantastic.
    12-24-11 06:30 AM
    Help me out here, last night I found out Currys UK are dropping the price to �169 and they give you a �50 voucher to spend in shop.

Now that's a good deal but I still have a little trouble justifying it in my head, I have a Bold 9900 and a HP Mini(beatsaudio) netbook that is always in my car.

The truth is I don't need a tablet but as a big BB fan I feel I should have one

Wife is willing to put �100 towards it too as a christmas present yet I can't help feeling a little guilty.

Tell me something nice about the PB, especially for in car use as that's where I spend my working day
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...aybook-681586/
    12-24-11 06:49 AM
    Like someone said the size is a major advantage, a lot can be done from this little device, it all depends on your needs, OS2 beta closes the door on many limitations if you can't wait till February for the proper update, for satnav you can check Here. It seems to work well for some people.
    Last edited by Olukunlea; 12-24-11 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Edit URL
    12-24-11 07:09 AM
    I see you are not in the USA butthere is a company here that has good vehicle mounts: RAM Mounts. Not sure that this info helps the head or the heart!
    RAM Mounting Systems, Inc.
    12-24-11 07:21 AM
    Ah, thanks guys, in the end the head won, I walked out with a nice original amazon cover with light for my kindle, I just couldn't pull myself to do it. Maybe for my birthday in march
    12-24-11 07:23 AM
    Is there satnav app for it yet?
    I see you didn't get the Playbook but the answer to this question is still no.
    I would like to see Garmin or TomTom come out with an app.
    I had TomTom on an iPAQ 5 years ago. I prefer Garmin and they do have a Blackberry app but the first one out will get my money.

Maybe an Android app will work in version 2.0 of the Playbook OS. I haven't seen much info on how well Android apps interact with the Playbook hardware.

By the way, you should have bought the Playbook. My Netbook stays at home now. Even my work laptop doesn't travel as much as it used to.
    12-24-11 08:18 AM
    All talk...no action
    belfastdispatcher and kbz1960 like this.
    12-24-11 08:25 AM
    You will regret it forever. Just do it.
    12-24-11 10:38 AM
    New development, my Kindle decided to break again(second time) and if I can get a refund instead of replacement I will be getting a PlayBook instead, if thy are still in stock of course. Lost my faith in the Kindle and the new ones don't have the free 3G browsing as far as I can tell.

Update in a few hours
    01-10-12 09:57 AM
    You my friend, have a strong head. Unfortunately my heart threatened to stop pumping blood to my brain if I didn't buy a PB. There was no other way, I swear...
    01-10-12 11:22 AM
    Replacing your Kindle, with you Playbook? Might want to rethink this before you take the plunge.

If your kindle's main use was reading books and newspapers downloaded to the device, then you may want to just replace it with another e-ink device. An e-ink and a LCD tablet just can't be put in the same category for large volume, text consumption. You eyes will be shot if you tried to read a novel the same way you would on a kindle.

On the other hand, if it was just for light reading and consumption, then perhaps. =D
    01-10-12 11:28 AM
    Wait for feb, see what os2 does well if it releases.

The kindle 3g still has free wireless.

I got a nav for christmas and I am hesitate to open it because if pb gets gps nav in os2 I won't really need it. I don't even really need it in the first place cause my phone has nav. We'll see what happens with os2.
    01-10-12 11:42 AM
    Saturday night my little girl had a sleep-over here and one of the girls brought a Fire. It's not so bad, lots of games for free (even Angry Birds). The next morning I took them to IHOP, they played Fruit Ninja on the Fire until they got bored, and I used Bridge to read CrackBerry on the PB. Each tablet has it's place I guess.
    01-10-12 11:48 AM
    I can't believe one of RIM's biggest supporters bought a fire over a pb. I guess maybe the fire made it easy for you to come to your senses lol.
    01-10-12 12:01 PM
    Damn, it's not meant to be, out of stock I got a refund but only store credit, can't use it online

I will keep an eye on it until the Kindle Touch comes out, whatever's available first, K Touch or PB, I will buy.
    01-10-12 01:00 PM
    Damn, it's not meant to be, out of stock I got a refund but only store credit, can't use it online

I will keep an eye on it until the Kindle Touch comes out, whatever's available first, K Touch or PB, I will buy.
    Have you checked the front page of Crackberry? You may change your mind and get a PlayBook, especially since you have a remote keyboard and mouse for it in your 9900.
    spike12 likes this.
    01-10-12 01:02 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD