Hello everyone. I use my playbook through my tv all the time. One thing I can't figure out is how to get the sound through my surround receiver. I switch the sound to the tv speakers and it works but won't work when I switch it to the receiver. The tv is a sharp aquos, maybe maybe some of you guys might be more adept at hooking this stuff up then I am and have a direction to steer me into with this problem? Thank you I have searched around some, could be a tv setting thing just not sure......
    Afterthought: I do have hdmi sound enabled in the playbook settings.
    SKIDDERWOLF likes this.
    10-08-12 10:38 AM
    Here is what I do. Connect my PB via microHDMI to one of the 4 inputs on my surround sound amp, which is a Marantz. My tv is connected to the hdmi output from the amp. All components need to be certified for HDMI version 1.3 - not because of the PlayBook, but because if the tv is certified for HDMI 1.2 and your amp is 1.3, they might not communicate via hdmi. Also, your HDMI cable connecting the tv to your amp needs to be hdmi version 1.3 as well. As far as I know, all micro-hdmi cable are still least v.1.3.

Set the tv to the appropriate hdmi input from the amp. Set the amp to the input you used for the microHDMI. Turn on all the components and it should work. And yes, you're right, you also need to have the hdmi audio setting turned on.
    sputneek likes this.
    10-08-12 10:48 AM
    Alternatively, hook the audio out (either digital or analog) from your tv to your receiver.
    sputneek likes this.
    10-08-12 10:53 AM
    Some receivers will only pass the signal thru and not play sound. Would model is the receiver?
    sputneek likes this.
    10-08-12 10:53 AM
    Thanks for the quick replies you guys and happy thanksgiving for the Canadian guys at least. Really gotta learn how to multi quote but anyways......
    My receiver is older and does'nt have hdmi inputs, however my dvd player is connected through the cable box which is plugged into the receiver and that works.
    The particular input I'm using on the tv does'nt have audio out.
    And the receiver is an older Sony
    10-08-12 11:14 AM
    If you can't get audio out from your TV then the only option would be to use the headphone jack to a pair of RCA's. If you post the model #'s of your TV and receiver someone can see what's possible. My Samsung TV outputs audio from all inputs. Have you checked the settings on the TV?
    sputneek likes this.
    10-08-12 11:35 AM
    I googled sharp aquos audio output and found this link which appears to conclude that your tv might not be able to "pass-thru" the audio to your amp from your tv if the input to the tv is from an hdmi source.

Sharp Aquos Optical audio output? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

In spite of the reference to "Canadian TV" in the link title, the matter under discussion isn't at all limited to anything Canadian. I would refer you to the well-written answer posted by the moderator at post # 13.

Another idea would be to use the headphone output from the PB and connect it to one of the L-R audio inputs on your amp using a cable which has a male stereo headphone jack at one end and 2 male RCA-style audio jacks at the other end. This will require you to see the PB HDMI settings for audio to "off". Set your amp to the input you connected the PB to and you should be good to go.

One more thing, your amp may have a setting to simulate surround sound based on stereo audio input.

Let us know how you make out!
    Last edited by PatrickMJS; 10-08-12 at 12:09 PM.
    sputneek likes this.
    10-08-12 11:56 AM
    If you can't get audio out from your TV then the only option would be to use the headphone jack to a pair of RCA's. If you post the model #'s of your TV and receiver someone can see what's possible. My Samsung TV outputs audio from all inputs. Have you checked the settings on the TV?
    Thanks once again Chad, That's a good idea about the earphone jacks, forgot about that, gonna go over the tv settings again see if I can find something else that's pertinent. One would think that if the cable itself is capable of carrying both audio and video the tv could just simply relay it to the receiver, of course that would be to darned easy, he, he. The tv model is Sharp Aquos model:LC-52D64AU.
    10-08-12 12:03 PM
    I googled sharp aquos audio output and found this link which appears to conclude that your tv might not be able to "pass-thru" the audio to your amp from your tv if the input to the tv is from an hdmi source.

Sharp Aquos Optical audio output? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Another idea would be to use the headphone output from the PB and connect it to one of the L-R audio inputs on your amp using a cable which has a male stereo headphone jack at one end and 2 male RCA-style audio jacks at the other end. This will require you to see the PB HDMI settings for audio to "off". Set your amp to the input you connected the PB to and you should be good to go.

One more thing, your amp may have a setting to simulate surround sound based on stereo audio input.

Let us know how you make out!
    Thanks for that Patrick, especially turning the hdmi to off on the playbook for the earphone thing, I would'nt have thought of THAT right away Gonna check out that link now. You used different search terms then I have, maybe it'll be something new.
    10-08-12 12:16 PM
    i am living in waterloo, ontario and i use my playbook to watch movies on my sharp aquos. hmdi from pb to tv. audio out from tv to receiver (so whatever audio would have played through tv speakers is now transferred to receiver instead). then from the receiver to my speakers. make sure the proper setting/output is selected on your receiver.
    sputneek likes this.
    10-08-12 12:47 PM
    If you have lost your manual, you can download it here:
    Downloads | Drivers | Manuals | SHARP Customer Support Electronics

I looked breifly and don't see any mention of the audio out only working with the TV tuner. Every model is different and a call to Sharp support would give you definitive answer.

Page 49 of the manual describes the steps to change the format of the digital audio out. You can pick PCM or Dobly. Maybe your Sony won't play PCM and you will have to switch to Dolby? Menu>Digital Setup>Audio Setup.
    sputneek likes this.
    10-08-12 01:17 PM
    i am living in waterloo, ontario and i use my playbook to watch movies on my sharp aquos. hmdi from pb to tv. audio out from tv to receiver (so whatever audio would have played through tv speakers is now transferred to receiver instead). then from the receiver to my speakers. make sure the proper setting/output is selected on your receiver.
    Yep, that's it , I found a straight audio input and now I'm listening to Raul Malo and the mavericks in Dolby 5.1 and am now covered in goosebumps with a big sh1t eating grin on my face
    thanks for making me look further.
    10-08-12 01:37 PM
    If you have lost your manual, you can download it here:
    Downloads | Drivers | Manuals | SHARP Customer Support Electronics

I looked breifly and don't see any mention of the audio out only working with the TV tuner. Every model is different and a call to Sharp support would give you definitive answer.

Page 49 of the manual describes the steps to change the format of the digital audio out. You can pick PCM or Dobly. Maybe your Sony won't play PCM and you will have to switch to Dolby? Menu>Digital Setup>Audio Setup.
    Thanks Chad, yep did that too and found those two lonely "generic" audio outputs on the back of the tube and voila! problem solved, you and all the rest of you guys are just simply awesome!!
    10-08-12 01:44 PM
    I use mine with the Blackberry Music Gateway connected to my receiver, Playbook HDMI connected to tv for HD video and blue tooth connect to the BB Gateway for audio. Works perfect for movies, the free Sherlock Holmes movie was great and I have since rented another movie from the BB video store. With the audio, I can set my receiver to output a 5 channel surround; not true dolby surround but still sounds great for home theatre.
    sputneek likes this.
    10-08-12 02:04 PM
    I use mine with the Blackberry Music Gateway connected to my receiver, Playbook HDMI connected to tv for HD video and blue tooth connect to the BB Gateway for audio. Works perfect for movies, the free Sherlock Holmes movie was great and I have since rented another movie from the BB video store. With the audio, I can set my receiver to output a 5 channel surround; not true dolby surround but still sounds great for home theatre.

Their marketing ploy worked on me too. I wasn't even signed up to the movie store before the free sherlock holmes video. Now I just paid $14.99 for one the other night.

If ya'll sign up now you can still get pretty good user names at the movie store. Mine is just the letter "J" and it wasn't taken yet! LOL
    10-08-12 02:13 PM