as the title says rim would not fix my playbook.talked to the service person,then made him get a hold of the floor manager.both were pointless conversations.wanting to know who in the company i can talk to about this issue?any ideas.thanks in advance DANO
    11-29-12 05:06 PM
    What was the reason given for not fixing it? User damage?
    11-29-12 05:10 PM
    You said the same thing in your other thread.
    Why are you starting a new one?
    11-29-12 05:20 PM
    Hdmi and usb ports are simply not covered under warranty. If they fix it, which seems to be rare, then you are truly lucky.

Perhaps the OP created a new thread because it should be clear that RIM does not cover normal course failure of an important part of their product.
    11-29-12 05:28 PM
    You said the same thing in your other thread.
    Why are you starting a new one?
    I would have ignored the post had I seen the other one.
    11-29-12 05:47 PM
    I'm not convinved that the hdmi port can be damaged by something other than careless use. I use several playbooks with my hdmi weekly and have not had a problem. Hardware failure is not the sameas use and ........ abuse
    11-29-12 05:59 PM
    as the title says rim would not fix my playbook.talked to the service person,then made him get a hold of the floor manager.both were pointless conversations.wanting to know who in the company i can talk to about this issue?any ideas.thanks in advance DANO
    Can you expand on the details?
    Please post:
    OS ver =
    How old is the PlayBook?
    Production date? /batch number (Unless people post such, if it was a case of a bad batch no one will ever know)
    How much usage?
    Type of usage?
    Port physically damaged or it just doesn't work?
    Incompatibility issue?

Q: How do you know it's the port?
    Q: Tried another HDIM cable?
    Q: How long is the cable?

PS: You state "talked to the service person,then made him get a hold of the floor manager"... Sounds like you visited a service center in person?

11-29-12 08:34 PM
    I'm not convinved that the hdmi port can be damaged by something other than careless use. I use several playbooks with my hdmi weekly and have not had a problem. Hardware failure is not the sameas use and ........ abuse
    Abuse should not be covered under mfg warranty, normal use should. With the info the OP has provided it's hard to tell what exactly is going on.
    Mass production 101:
    Most all manufacturers source parts from at least (3) different sources to protect themselves from a disruption in parts availability from shutting down the production line.
    These sources may change during a production run.
    Sources of raw materials can vary. Mistakes do occur, both at the source level and at the manufacturing facility itself from time to time.
    Quality can vary between sources.
    Quality can vary during a run.
    "Bad"/ Marginal parts are shipped (They don't test each and every part)
    Parts can and do fail during normal usage.
    Parts are sometimes designed incorrectly to handle Real-World usage. "Hey it worked great in the lab".

11-29-12 08:58 PM
    I had the same problem. I bought my playbook 16gb for full price. My HDMI port stopped working after two months of easy use. As my username states, I love my playbook and called RIM right away. They told me to send it in to repair,unfortunately I procrastinated until the warranty ran out and then decided to send it in when I was told that even though my warranty had expired by two weeks that they would repair at no charge. Then I got a call after I sent it in and was told I would have to pay. Needless to say I was not happy. I eventually got in touch with someone at corporate and communicated my problem and she was so helpful and thoughtful that she sent me a replacement. She just asked me to send my non working playbook back at my leisure which Idid. My point is keep trying and hopefully you can talk with someone in corporate. I wish I still had the telephone number to help.
    11-29-12 08:59 PM
    Hdmi and usb ports are simply not covered under warranty. If they fix it, which seems to be rare, then you are truly lucky.

That's not true that HDMI and ports aren't covered under warranty. They replace my PB last month no problems at all because of HDMI not working.
    It's one thing if port is damaged they won't fix but ALL parts of Playbook carries a 1 year for defects.
    My PB was also 10 months old.
    Last edited by balding1; 12-07-12 at 02:40 PM.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-07-12 02:23 PM
    That's not true that HDMI and ports aren't covered under warranty. They replace my PB last month no problems at all because of HDMI not working.
    It's one thing if port is damaged they won't fix but ALL parts of Playbook carries a 1 year for defects.
    If you purchased your PlayBook in the UK, you are not just restricted to the one year warranty

the argument for any item purchased, is whether it has lasted as long as would be reasonably expected (6 year cut-off lifespan in England & Wales - 5 years in Scotland)
    Sale of Goods Act For customers

Hope this helps
    balding1 likes this.
    12-09-12 09:21 AM
    If you purchased your PlayBook in the UK, you are not just restricted to the one year warranty

the argument for any item purchased, is whether it has lasted as long as would be reasonably expected (6 year cut-off lifespan in England & Wales - 5 years in Scotland)
    Sale of Goods Act For customers

Hope this helps
    I never knew that - that's very interesting and too damn consumer friendly to ever be adopted in the US!!!! Imagine a product that actually has a useful life beyond 90 days or 1 year. UNheard of!
    12-09-12 10:15 AM
    Even if the HDMI is damaged due to abuse RIM will replace it but they will lawfully bill you before beginning the repair process. If the port simply stopped functioning that is another matter.
    12-09-12 07:54 PM