Really like my PB but having HDMI problems. Got PB for xmas and soon after ordered hdmi cable. When I hooked up to my Panasonic TV PB said connected but no picture. Ordered another cable. Same result. Took PB to Best Buy and tried 3 other TVs and another cable with same result. They recognized hook up but said things like �no signal� etc. Contacted RIM support. Got new replacement PB from exchange. It worked for a couple days (no sound though) but now new PB is doing same thing. it shows connected but no picture on TV. Any ideas? I have done hard reset (but not wiped). could my cable be somehow damaging the video output? Hoping that new OS might solve but have my doubts.
    02-11-12 03:24 PM
    My tv has 4 HDMI connections on the rear. I have to go into the TV menu and select which HDMI connection I am connected to otherwise it will not work. I have connected to several TV's and my PB worked perfect everytime.
    Hgouck, PatrickMJS and hubermania like this.
    02-11-12 03:32 PM
    When you plug your HDMI in to your tv the tv is nothing but a monitor. But you do have to choose he right input source. Make sure your tv input is set for viewing the hdmi port you connected your PB too.
    02-11-12 03:42 PM
    What is indicated in the HDMI settings on your PB? It should look something the attached. That is with it connected to input 5 on my TV. I also have to select that input via the remote and I get video and audio.
    hubermania likes this.
    02-11-12 03:43 PM
    TV has only one input. DVR and Roku box work fine. PB does not either through switcher or tied direct. It says connected and the little icon on top of PB shows connected but no picture.
    02-11-12 03:46 PM
    Are you using a cable only or an adapter and a cable?
    02-11-12 03:48 PM
    cable and adapter at present but had same problem with first pb hooked direct to TV. i will try to hook direct to TV to see what happens.
    02-11-12 03:51 PM
    you're kind of wasting your time posting here cuz it definitely sounds like you have a hardware problem. My PB connects easily to my Panasonic tvs, all 3 of them, including the oldest one which also has only one hdmi input. My hdmi settings on the PB are set just like the jpg provided above by R Jedge 54.

Even tho your tv only has one hdmi input, it has other inputs for cable, antenna, s-video etc... so yes you do have to select your input source on your tv and choose hdmi. I assume you've already done that (or else the folks at Bestbuy would have mentioned it) so that is why I think it is a PB hardware issue.

Calling all the CB regulars: is it just me or have you noticed a lot of "folks" posting threads like this stating they have had a PB problem and RIM sent them another unit and it has the same problem...! Think this one here is the 3rd one like this today. Seems like too much of a coincidence to me.
    Scotter75 and Batmix75 like this.
    02-11-12 04:03 PM
    It could be the TV if I remember right there was some talk about a make and model that didn't work.
    02-11-12 04:07 PM
    It would be very unlikely to get two PB's with the same hardware problem. Possible but unlikely.
    Trying on 4 different TV's, 3 different cables and using it for a couple days without sound certainly seems like enough testing.

KBZ-I think I that was a brand with bad hdmi ports. Panasonic maybe.
    02-11-12 04:39 PM
    OP, try turning on the components in upstream order from the TV/monitor. Here is the sequence I had to use to get my PB HDMI shown on my old analog TVs:

1. TV/monitor on, choose input source
    2. Converter (optional) on, choose input source
    3. Hookup PB cable, choose HDMI output settings

FWIW I am using 720x480p output to my converter. My old school 4:3 TV - or maybe it's the converter - chops off the sides of the picture, but at least the aspect ratio is correct. See HDMI settings screen shot below. At the risk of offending you, did you accidentally switch off HDMI Audio output on this screen?
    02-11-12 04:58 PM
    go to hd settings and set default mirror mode to on.
    02-11-12 05:30 PM
    you're kind of wasting your time posting here cuz it definitely sounds like you have a hardware problem.
    I am more inclined to think it is human error not hardware error. Have you configured HDMI on the BlackBerry PlayBook 'Settings' (gear icon) menu? Have you tried each of the HDMI channels on your television or monitor? Either 99% of the posters reporting problems are very unlucky or I am extremely lucky and all 7 of my BlackBerry PlayBooks work perfectly out of the box. Did someone leave troll bait out again?
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    02-11-12 06:07 PM
    I am more inclined to think it is human error not hardware error. Have you configured HDMI on the BlackBerry PlayBook 'Settings' (gear icon) menu? Have you tried each of the HDMI channels on your television or monitor? Either 99% of the posters reporting problems are very unlucky or I am extremely lucky and all 7 of my BlackBerry PlayBooks work perfectly out of the box. Did someone leave troll bait out again?
    Troll bait? Sound of hammer hitting nail on head.

BTW, I assumed it wasn't human error since the op said he went thru RIMs support process so they would have talked him thru things like "mirror mode", tv inputs etc.
    02-11-12 06:15 PM
    They always seem to start with-
    "I really like my PB but" - "I have always supported RIM but"
    Time for a new format maybe.
    02-11-12 06:23 PM
    I recall reading that Samsung tv's have some "oddball" setting that folks have had to tweak to get them to work. I don't recall what it was called.
    02-11-12 06:43 PM
    hooked directly to TV same outcome. i have everythingi set correctly. it is just hard to believe that i have two different PB with the same hardware problem. i was wondering if somehow i was causing the hardware failure due to a faulty cable or something. it is just weird.
    02-11-12 08:26 PM
    Our family have 3 PBs and although each displays the icon to say that it is connected to a tv by hdmi cable there is no picture on the tv. The PBs when first purchased connected to the tv (with picture and sound) without any problem and then suddenly nothing. Like others experiencing this problem I have carefully checked that the cables are working and that the correct imput/source is used when connecting to a tv via hdmi. I honestly have no idea what has gone wrong and no-one seems to have a solution. Please there must be someone on this planet who can find an answer to this baffling and frustrating conundrum? Many thanks in advance to you all for reading this.
    02-18-13 04:20 AM
    Our family have 3 PBs and although each displays the icon to say that it is connected to a tv by hdmi cable there is no picture on the tv. The PBs when first purchased connected to the tv (with picture and sound) without any problem and then suddenly nothing. Like others experiencing this problem I have carefully checked that the cables are working and that the correct imput/source is used when connecting to a tv via hdmi. I honestly have no idea what has gone wrong and no-one seems to have a solution. Please there must be someone on this planet who can find an answer to this baffling and frustrating conundrum? Many thanks in advance to you all for reading this.
    So the pb's DID work at one time and then stopped? All 3 of them worked and no longer work? Have you rebooted the pb's?

To fix an issue, try these in order:

Restart using the Battery Icon and press Restart

Press and hold the Power button for 10-15 seconds. Then leave it for 20-30 seconds and see if it restarts.

To REBOOT:
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown. Start with the PowerButton. Keep holding past the 3-choice options screen. If you hear a shutter type sound, you've taken a Screen Shot and probably missed the PowerButton.

It would seem odd that all 3 suddenly stopped as opposed to some change to the TV itself? Have you tried different cables? How about imposing on a friend or relative and test your pb's at their place(s)?
    02-18-13 08:50 AM
    Having the same problem myself.......hdmi was working one night, next day nothing. Setting shows connection, but no video or audio on monitor. Tried with two monitors with same result. Dunno whats happened......
    02-18-13 11:02 AM
    I had the same problem where my PB connected to the TV at one time and then just stopped. Interesting enough I thought it was the cable so i bought another one. I then received that cable and would have spotty results sometimes they would work sometimes not. I would have to wiggle the cable around at the point of the connection to PB. I would then try the cables on my daughter's android phone they would work no problem. contacted RIM sent in my PB they sent me a new one, neither cable worked. WTH, so i bought 2 cables from a vendor that I found on Crackberry page recommended and would you believe it both cables work great. The steps that the others mention are exactly correct though if all is well with PB, TV and cable. Plug in PB to TV select correct input on TV and PB will automatically detect the connection. Good luck as getting this feature back once again made me a happy camper with my PB.
    02-18-13 04:13 PM
    Many thanks for your prompt reply. Will try your suggestions and fingers crossed.
    02-18-13 04:50 PM
    I always have problems connecting my 12ft cable to playbook. I heard 4 ft would work better. It does work after messing with the wire for 5-10 min
    02-19-13 01:11 AM
    While a number of "reviews" have indicated that most hdmi cables are up to the task or equivalent, maybe it's not quite true. And maybe some of it might depend on the tv and how well it can deal with less than perfect cable transmission.

I know that I have a 30 foot hdmi cable that connect my receiver to my Sony tv and it has worked for years now. It runs down inside a wall, under the floor and up inside another wall. It was from monoprice and it is a standard on both ends (not the micro the pb uses). But I have a 15 footer micro from them that I do use upstairs here to connect to my pb/tv and it works when I've used it (not often). TV is Vizio.
    02-19-13 09:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD