Hi
    please don't make fun of me I have a few questions about the HDMI on the Playbook that I want answers for.
    first what are a few examples of what I can do with the hdmi connector?
    2nd is it an hdmi output, input or both?
    3) what type of cable would I need to buy in order to use it?
    4) I have a camera that captures 1080p HD videos and it has a hdmi connector can I connect it to my Playbook and watch on the Playbook whats on the camera?
    last since were talking about hdmi what types of hdmi connectors are out there?

please answer only if you can answer any of the questions.
    thanks
    01-29-12 11:44 PM
    You need to a Micro HDMI to HDMI and can pick one up pretty much anywhere cheap.

Sadly this is one feature I have yet to test out and even have an HDMI cable.
    01-29-12 11:50 PM
    From my understanding, it is only HDMI out. The cable you most likely will need is an HDMI to micro-HDMI connector, assuming you are connecting it to a TV or monitor with a standard HDMI connection. Your camera will not work. There is the possibility of USB OTG in the future, but I don't think the hardware is capable of HDMI In.
    BoldWorld likes this.
    01-29-12 11:52 PM
    Above responses are correct. Playbook's HDMI connection is output only. Really designed to connect your Playbook with a computer monitor or HDTV so you can have a larger screen... mostly to watch movies I think.

The cable needed is Micro-HDMI to HDMI. Can be found on Amazon at best prices. No, you could not watch your camera's video or still pictures on the Playbook, since it's not an input HDMI connection (output only).
    BoldWorld likes this.
    01-29-12 11:56 PM
    Thanks for the info so far.
    so from my understanding, If I'm on vacation taking some cool pictures and videos I cant at the end of the day connect it to my Playbook and see some clear HD fun from the day? bummer
    01-30-12 12:01 AM
    I picked up a connector on Amazon to go from HDMI to HDMI micro. you just plug the standard HDMI cable into it and than the micro end of the connector into the PB and enjoy. 2.99 US including shipping
    01-30-12 12:03 AM
    the above posts are right. it is a GREAT feature that you would have to buy a $50 cable to use on the iPad. The micro hdmi cables can be found from $5 0 $10!!!
    Nels likes this.
    01-30-12 12:51 AM
    The HDMI cable is one of the best features of the playbook, and here is the answer to all your questions.

1. It only works as an output not an input.

2. It projects everything you can do on your playbook to your tv or monitor. This allows you to see on the screen anything you would do on your playbook. From watching a video, scrolling thru pictures, playing a game, browsing the web , working on a document, and furthermore when connected, there is a feature called presentation mode. This feature allows you to push a video or document unto the screen while doing other tasks on the playbook itself. For example you can have a video or powerpoint presentation running on your tv while you browse the web on your playbook but the people watching the tv cant see what you are doing on your tablet.

3. The type of cable your playbook uses its called a micro hdmi cable.

4. Since the playbook only outputs audio/video, you will not be able to connect your camera to your playbook but, there is nothing stopping you from connecting your camera to the tv directly.
    BoldWorld likes this.
    01-30-12 01:16 AM
    its pretty awesome playing asphalt 6 on my tv with my playbook
    redk and BoldWorld like this.
    01-30-12 01:26 AM
    its pretty awesome playing asphalt 6 on my tv with my playbook
    But can you control it while looking at the TV or do you have to look at the PB?
    01-30-12 01:32 AM
    But can you control it while looking at the TV or do you have to look at the PB?
    just like most things you can learn to not look at the playbook. I play real football and nfs all the time on my tv without looking at the playbook screen.
    01-30-12 01:36 AM
    just like most things you can learn to not look at the playbook. I play real football and nfs all the time on my tv without looking at the playbook screen.
    yeah, i dont look at my wii controller when i use that either haha
    01-30-12 02:04 AM
    ^^^ that is different though bc for the playbook you need to have your fingers/thumbs on very specific spots.

the first 5 minutes i was using my PB on the tv i had to look at the playbook to touch anything... you get used to it after awhile but im not sure you can ever get 100% away from sneaking glances at the PB
    01-30-12 01:02 PM
    No pictures guys? Ok, give me a moment and I'll get some of my 42" PlayBook ^^.

EDIT:

So you can browse the web...

Watch movies...

Play games...

And enjoy books!

And once OS2 hits, you'll be able to use you BB device as a remote control/mouse/keyboard...
    Last edited by diegonei; 01-30-12 at 02:26 PM.
    BoldWorld likes this.
    01-30-12 01:53 PM
    If you have access to a PC you can copy your videos from your camera to your PB via the computer. You can then view them on your playbook, or using your newly acquired (cheap!) hdmi cable, connect it to an hd tv or home theatre system for viewing.
    01-30-12 02:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD