Bought blackberry's hdmi cable for the playbook and it appears to not be working. The playbook recognizes that it is connected to the tv and tv recognizes it is connected to the playbook, but there is no picture or sound on tv. Also when my playbook is connected to the tv the sound on my playbook doesn't work. I checked the hdmi settings on the playbook and everything appeared to be fine. The mirror screen setting was on and the hdmi sound setting was on. I know for sure that the hdmi port works on the tv. Has any one else had this issue? If so how did you fix it?

I'm thinking it has to be the cable or the mini hdmi port on the playbook. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    08-20-11 10:56 AM
    had also some issues with HDMI output of PB dropping in and out to both flatscreen and digital beamers at work; was quite sure it was the PB, the mini HDMI-port to be exact, also after reading simular complaints. so filed an incident with PB support here in the Netherlands. Good quick and good support, by the UK PB support dept the other day. after checking some basic stuff, like settings etc I was asked to replay the events and send them the PB log files (in help function, easy and clever function btw), which were analysed by a RIM tech consultant immediately. very quick and professional support, was impressed.

in the end, both RIM and myself deducted the root cause of my HDMI issue: not the PB itself, software or hardware, but the dropouts occured only when using mini-HDMI tot HDMI converter ( and then a standard 2m gold HDMI cable); also when using same 2m belkin standard HDMI cable with a female-female connector to my good working Vivanco 1.5m micro-HDMI to HDMI cable (to get more cable length)

They informed me the PB HDMI specs are "just" upto 6ft of micro-HDMI to HDMI cable, with no adaptors and/or connectors inbetween. So, back to short distance and trying to find a good longer micro-HDMI to HDMI cable someplace. anyone any experience with longer than 1.8m/ 6ft of those? and more important, where to get them in Europe, without additional $50 express shipping costs from the US/Canada. Do not think this HDMI limitation was published before, though makes sense with the PB being just battery powered etc.

this might not solve the problem mentioned in this string, but would advise you to use PB support, especially if you are still within first 90days (they should extend that with the cuurent state of PB OS and promised big updates btw) overall, I am quite happy with my PB, glad I did not gor an iPad2, heavy apple fans I work with are still quite impressed, though will not admit it to loudly...
    Last edited by E10CDM; 08-20-11 at 12:40 PM.
    hawks060910 and ragz_mln like this.
    08-20-11 12:35 PM
    If you can check it out on another hdmi tv or whatever.

You might also want to pickup another hdmi micro at Radio Shack or similar as a test of cables.

And do you know anyone else with a pb to compare?

Or return to shop and have them test it.

Oh, REBOOT - press and hold all at the same time: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown.
    hawks060910 likes this.
    08-20-11 12:38 PM
    I think I've had the same issue where the picture wouldn't show up as well and turned out the issue was with the HDMI port not the cable itself. It might be loose and may need a wiggle for it work as this worked for me but this might not be your issue but I think its worth a try. Good luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    hawks060910 likes this.
    08-20-11 12:52 PM
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. I have tried hooking it up to the playbook and the tv while both are off and then turning them on. It is a 6 foot cable. Haven't tried a reboot or wiggling it yet, will try those in few. I plan on contacting blackberry support if necessary since its a blackberry cable, but I wanted to try a few other remedies first.
    08-20-11 01:18 PM
    First, it's a micro HDMI, not mini HDMI
    Second, I encounter this too on my first try. Dunno what happened, but on the second try, it works. Been working ever since (been trying to my office TV and three TVs at some hotels).
    Are you still on warranty? Since I'm sure that when u use official BlackBerry cable (I don't know they sold any) they will cover that.
    Good luck!
    Willard814 likes this.
    08-20-11 05:04 PM
    i used a micro hdmi to female hdmi adapter then a 15ft cable without any problems
    Willard814 likes this.
    08-20-11 07:52 PM
    i had a very similiar problem. i posted it on bbforum HDMI to HD tv problems - BlackBerry Forums Support Community

they have issued me an rma
    08-20-11 08:59 PM
    i had a very similiar problem. i posted it on bbforum HDMI to HD tv problems - BlackBerry Forums Support Community

they have issued me an rma
    thanks, my event happened before, but found simular mentions, also in the official PB forum. They also indicated a RIM RMA replacement, so I mentioned this to PB support and they at first agreed, but requested me to do some aditional checks with and without the adaptors etc. That's how we isolated my issue to the connectors and they argued about this with reference spec's of the PB. so no RMA and incident closed last week

For me it appears resolved (however both options worked fine first couple weeks and only then started dropping, which makes it strange) but, I must admit, the used adaptors are not of a quality brand (only ones I could find here in NL, micro-HDMI is still very rare, only used in digital video camara's); especially the micro-HDMI to female HDMI one I have sits very loose in the PB socket,cannot test it in other devices ....

still think RIM made a(nother) huge mistake at PB launch by not supplying a good fitting short micro-HDMI to HDMI connector or cable in the original box when you by the PB. Even Nokia does with its quite good camaraphone N8, sold for much lower price, so cannot be the price of such a OEM cable. With various HDMI versions floating around (of which most consumers, even the technically educated, are unaware, this is causing confusion and irritation. Shows RIM is still not an average consumer oriented company unfortunatly..

also, the awsome playback capabilities of the PB remain hidden to many users and potential buyers in my experience, which is a marketing missed oppertunity. and if you, like me, experience connection problems during professional use (sr board meeting) with firts impressed but then "its a BB.." apple only managers,..I was not as happy as before with my self bought PB, while most of them get it issued in corporate iPad trials...

any opinions, should I reopen my incident with BB support and request an RMA also? any experience with RMAs outside US/Canada, will take longer I presume
    Am still within 90 day period (got my PB end of June, was one of the first Dutch ones)...
    Last edited by E10CDM; 08-21-11 at 07:08 AM.
    08-21-11 12:56 AM
    I can only say that I purchased two cables from monoprice for rather cheap cost. One is about 5 or 6 feet and the other about 10 feet (3m). Both work fine. Now each time you use an adapter, you obviously can affect the signals but cheap cables can work. (I've got a monoprice.com 30+ footer regular hmdi cable to connect my tv to my system (through a wall, across basement ceiling and through another wall) and it works fine connected to a monoprice hdmi switch box).

I'd call them again if your still does not work consistently. Or file a report and purchase the official rim cable and if that also causes issues you will have warranty coverage for up to a year.
    Willard814 and E10CDM like this.
    08-21-11 09:03 AM
    I bought the official rim cable and have had nothing but problems so far. I'm going to try a different tv today and another cable to see if it truly is the rim cable or if its the micro hdmi port on my playbook. I tried a few of the suggestions above, no luck so far. Has anyone else had problems with the official rim cable?
    08-21-11 10:10 AM
    Well thought I'd give everyone an update. I tried the rim cable on another tv, still no luck. Went to best buy, they were very helpful, they let me try a couple of different cables on their tvs, still no luck. So now I am thinking it has to be the micro hdmi port on the playbook. I guess I'm off to rim playbook support. Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.
    08-21-11 05:04 PM
    I just got an adapter today from Radio Shack and I plugged it into my tv while the playbook was on and turned on the the tv and nothing. I then unplugged from the playbook and plugged it back in and it worked so it does work with an adapter or at least so far. Think it's a 6' hdmi cable.
    08-21-11 05:19 PM
    I am having the exact same problem as the OP..

microHDMI to HDMI cable, 1m, no adapters..

TV recognises Playbook, Playbook recognises TV.... But no picture or sound. Have tried all resolutions and image types (Center, Stretched, Fill....)

I am currently running 1.0.7....

However when i first bought the Playbook a few months back, when using previous software versions, 1.0.1 to 1.0.4 i think... the TV out function worked perfectly with the same playbook, same cable and same TV...

This had led me to believe it is a software issue.. but who knows?
    08-22-11 03:56 AM
    my PB is working fine thru the micro-hdmi cable. I've used it with several different tvs and not one problem. My daughter has also used her PB with her microhdmi cable on her tv and also for powerpoint presentations on an LCD projector at university and it works with no problems at all.
    DoctorNeutron likes this.
    08-22-11 11:18 AM
    Well if it's a software issue, I hope the next update comes soon.
    08-22-11 06:03 PM
    new os update didnt fix the problem
    09-03-11 07:23 PM
    I seem to have trouble only with some TV sets.. There is a hotel I stay in regularly and I can't seem to get the HDMI cable to work with any of the LG sets in this hotel. I take it home and plug it into my Samsung and it works like a champ. I just don't get it... Most annoying!

I have some movies loaded and was hoping to watch them on the TV. I've been watching them on the Playbook screen instead, which isn't so bad, but it just aggravates me that it won't work with these specific TVs..

The TV is an LG 32LG710H-UA and it has two HDMI ports that are marked as follows:

- HDMI 1/DVI

- HDMI 2

I have tried the cable in both HDMI ports on the TV. When plugged into the first one I get an "Invalid Format" message on the TV screen. when plugged into the second one I get a "No Signal" message, as if I haven't plugged anything in.

On the HDMI screen on the Playbook I never show connected to any HDMI device when plugged into either port on the TV.

Not sure what my options are here. Anyone have any suggestions? I've tried rebooting the Playbook and have even yanked the power on the TV and tried booting them both up plugged in and not plugged in.

Not sure what else to try next. Very weird and most annoying!
    Last edited by Mojoski; 09-06-11 at 06:13 PM.
    09-06-11 06:04 PM
    I think I might have figured it out. I just found a spec on the TV that says it has "Two HDMI v1.3 ports" and I see now that the MicroHDMI interface wasn't created until the HDMI v1.4 standard. I wonder if this version mismatch could be messing with me? I wonder if the Playbook is trying to push out v1.4 but this device is so old it only supports v1.3? I wonder if that would make any difference? Maybe someone who understands more about HDMI could comment?

Thanks!
    09-06-11 06:20 PM
    All I know is that a friend purchased a new dvd player that was a Samsung and so was the tv. She purchased an hdmi cable from Radio Shack - it did not work, actually, two of them did not work. She borrowed one of my cheapies from monoprice - it worked fine.
    09-06-11 06:52 PM
    I have a new LG Smart TV. I was having all these same problems, and it was driving me crazy. I tried all the suggestions here and still no go.

I then changed the resolution on the HDMI settings in the PB.
    Once I changed it from the 1920x1080i@60hz[16:9] it was all the sudden working. All the other HDMI display modes work except for that default one.

Give it a try?

Dan
    togardergrosse likes this.
    09-07-11 03:27 AM
    Dan, thanks for taking the time to read and reply. I'm having trouble following your suggestion, however, because the PB never even recognizes that it is connected to the LG TV, hence the "Display Mode" option is forever greyed out and I am unable to make any change to it. And again, this cable and PB work fine together with my TVs at home..

Any more thoughts? Thanks!

I have a new LG Smart TV. I was having all these same problems, and it was driving me crazy. I tried all the suggestions here and still no go.

I then changed the resolution on the HDMI settings in the PB.
    Once I changed it from the 1920x1080i@60hz[16:9] it was all the sudden working. All the other HDMI display modes work except for that default one.

Give it a try?

Dan
    09-07-11 05:12 AM
    Tried many cables and still no use...even those from Crackberry. Over warrantee so how does one repair this issue, sure its the port for some reason...
    03-15-12 12:42 PM
    03-15-12 01:12 PM
    Interesting point raised re: how long the HDMI cable can be

I regularly use a 1.5m MicroHDMI-HDMI cable along with a 2m HDMI extender cable - and have suffered no problems with this setup for either video playbook (multiple TV's/monitors, including LG at home, and various hotel tv sets) or connecting to projectors for giving powerpoint presentations (and boy, hasn't the new RemoteControlBridge thingy helped greatly for clicking the slides forward and back.....)

The only time I have had an issue, was when connecting to a permanently installed projector in a conference room, that had an HDMI socket in the wall (and I assume about 20m of cabling up to the projector attached to the ceiling). The local tech support guy said that the inability to use this projector with HDMI was actually a common problem (always previously with laptops - he'd never seen a tablet with an HDMI output before - they had tested the projector with HDMI before they had installed it, and it worked fine with a 2m connection) as the total distance of HDMI cabling was too long - he then opened a cupboard, grabbed a portable HDMI projector, and set it up on the table (which was apparently the common workaround), Voila, the fallback solution worked fine!

As this issue seems to affect laptops as well as the PB - am wondering if it is something to do with the generic HDMI specs, and not just how HDMI works on the PB.

Any ideas? Anybody know of a 'booster' or similar to get round the cable-length issue?
    Last edited by BigAl_BB9900; 03-15-12 at 02:58 PM. Reason: typo
    03-15-12 01:32 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD