If you haven't tried the hdmi out on your playbook, you are missing out. It ads a whole new enjoyment to the playbook.
    I have to travel for work, and being in hotel rooms as much as at home, being able to plug the playbook in to a television and watch movies or online videos has been very nice.
    The videos stored on the playbook play very nice as does the audio.
    It was well worth the three dollars i spent on amazon for the cable.
    12-07-12 01:17 PM
    Totally agree. It's is truly a wonderful experience. I got a 15 feet long one from Amazon a while back for around $12 and now I can sit on the couch across the room and play Dead Space on the TV. It's a great feature and I think that if you don't know it's there buying it that you really don't know what you are missing out on.

Also watching the CrackBerry podcast live on the PlayBook is great via HDMI out.
    12-07-12 01:30 PM
    Yup, it's the only way we watch movies. Download on pc, transfer to playbook, hookup pb to 46" LED Sony, start remote control on my 9900 and enjoy. It's awesome.
    12-07-12 01:57 PM
    I love the HDMI on the playbook. Like others have said I just hook it up to the tv and enjoy a movie on the bigger screen when I want. I have to try and play dead space on the HDTV from the playbook. Never tried it yet.

Tapatalking
    12-07-12 03:21 PM
    I use it at home, too. And for work, just carrying a PB and HDMI cable sure beats messing with projectors, etc. So painless. Its fun, because a couple of times People have thought I showed up without any equiptment. I calmly whip out my PB and they are astounded. I always get lots of questions afterward about my device. All I can think is how much MORE impressive it will be when BB10 lands.
    dieter jay likes this.
    12-07-12 03:45 PM
    totally agree, use it for the same reasons, plus its ace for hols with he family and also hooking up my usual weekend of hockey streams to the tv (except when kids are hogging it!)
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    12-07-12 04:25 PM
    I love using the hdmi cable while playing Monopoly. We pass the PB around the room. In between your moves, you can watch the other players' moves on screen. Really gets fun during the wheeling and dealing over trades etc.
    Bumble2000, Relletti and sputneek like this.
    12-07-12 05:46 PM
    Sitting back on the couch and use your BB as a remote for your PlayBook to watch YouTube on full hd!! Priceless!!!
    Bumble2000 likes this.
    12-07-12 08:13 PM
    Sitting back on the couch and use your BB as a remote for your PlayBook to watch YouTube on full hd!! Priceless!!!
    That is truly a great use of it. I do this all the time too. Good addition to the list
    12-07-12 08:18 PM
    HDMI out was one of the reasons I got my PB. I'm typing this on a 1st gen iPad but in a few minutes I'm going to watch the episode of Big Bang Theory that I missed last night on CTV player and 42" tv, can't do that on my iPad or android tab!
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    12-07-12 08:37 PM
    When you step back and consider how inexpensive the PlayBook is, the fact that you can get such a high-end hardware feature (and also the great quality speakers) is truly outstanding value. I think sometimes that doesn't come across in tablet compares. Thanks to OP for reminding us of this great PlayBook feature!
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    12-07-12 09:12 PM
    When you step back and consider how inexpensive the PlayBook is, the fact that you can get such a high-end hardware feature (and also the great quality speakers) is truly outstanding value. I think sometimes that doesn't come across in tablet compares. Thanks to OP for reminding us of this great PlayBook feature!
    Does your AutoPlay Media Player work with streaming movies from a device such as Seagate GoFlex WiFi External Hard Drive?
    Bumble2000 likes this.
    12-08-12 12:43 AM
    Haven't tried it for games, but totally impressed with it over my HDTV. I bought a friend one and can't believe he hasn't used it yet.
    12-08-12 04:39 AM
    I use this setup quite often, with a bluetooth keyboard so I can sit on the couch and type on the normal-sized keys. If I don't have the bluetooth keyboard handy, I'll use my 9700. It definitely adds to the PlayBook experience.
    12-08-12 06:37 AM
    I just picked up an HDMI cable off of Monoprice.... Don't know why I waited so long. HDMI looks fantastic!! Even on my 720p TV. Need to buy another cable....
    12-08-12 06:40 AM
    I use this setup quite often, with a bluetooth keyboard so I can sit on the couch and type on the normal-sized keys. If I don't have the bluetooth keyboard handy, I'll use my 9700. It definitely adds to the PlayBook experience.
    At my desk in my home office I sometimes connect my BlackBerry PlayBook to the HDTV monitor and type away on the Bluetooth keyboard and use a Bluetooth mouse. If the rapid charger dock permitted an HDMI connection this arrangement would be ideal in many offices especially if the tablet screen and HDTV could act as dual monitors when desired. Research In Motion needs to act quickly to capture this type of use-case.
    12-08-12 06:45 AM
    I love using the hdmi cable while playing Monopoly. We pass the PB around the room. In between your moves, you can watch the other players' moves on screen. Really gets fun during the wheeling and dealing over trades etc.
    How durable is it that small port of micro HDMI when the playbook gets passed around and moves a lot.
    I just afraid the micro port can't handle well.
    Even the port micro-usb used for charging already reported cases kinda loose and/or broken.
    The HDMI cable is a bit thick right..?

I understand using micro HDMI cable during presentation or watching movies.., because the playbook is in steady and still position, thanks to the remote feature.

Thanx!
    12-08-12 07:36 AM
    Cables can vary in thickness with a few being more flexible.
    12-08-12 09:01 AM
    How durable is it that small port of micro HDMI when the playbook gets passed around and moves a lot.
    Even the port micro-usb used for charging already reported cases kinda loose and/or broken.

I understand using micro HDMI cable during presentation or watching movies.., because the playbook is in steady and still position, thanks to the remote feature.

Thanx!
    I bought a few cables from various retailers. I finally found one that fit snug in the port and has a thin flexible cable. My two year old hasn't broken it yet. The cables I used prior to this one wiggled quite a bit and just seemed like they could damage the port. I wonder if the quality control is better on the more expensive cables.
    sputneek likes this.
    12-08-12 09:23 AM
    The cable I got from MONOPrice is awesome but I use the 3' one and BB Bridge. The cable is a soft flexible type jacket but it will get thicker the longer the cable is just no getting around that if you want a crisp picture. MONOPrice knows what people use them for I suggest them when ordering. The connectors fit nicely too.
    12-08-12 10:09 AM
    I bought a 15' HDMI cable, and then a short 6" micro to HDMI port saver. (Item 7603 at monoprice). Makes for less stress on the port, and the HDMI cable can be used for other things (like my laptop).
    FF22 and sputneek like this.
    12-08-12 11:14 AM
    I went with a 4 ft cable from The Source CC/Radio Shack for $9.99 on sale(nexxtech). It is a very thin and flexible cable that puts little stress on the port. I then use a coupler on a heavy 15 ft cable to my tv and the picture is crystal clear. Some people say they use micro to hdmi adapters but that might twist the jack with a heavy cable plugged in, even that 6" cable adapter from monoprice doesn't seem like a good solution to me as the weight of the heavy cable will tend to twist the jack.
    FF22 and sputneek like this.
    12-08-12 10:12 PM
    Hdmi a small oversight by many tablet makers. Thanks for all the replys, gave me more ideas on how to use mine.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    12-08-12 11:31 PM
    I would like to see RIM offer a combination HDMI/charging dock. Just add a connection to the slot of the charging dock, that connects to the HDMI port on the Playbook so that the HDMI cable connects to the dock (as the power cord does now) and not to the HDMI port on the tablet. The HDMI port is too fragile.
    CairnsRock and sputneek like this.
    12-10-12 09:32 PM
    I like the idea of using a flexible light micro HDMI cable, a little short is OK, then extended with a long good quality HDMI cable to connect to the big screen.
    I suppose the micro HDMI cable to the playbook must be male (micro) to female (normal size) because it then extended using a male-to-male HDMI cable.
    am I correct..?

any suggestion / link of online store in US that provide this kind of setup? not too expensive I hope...

thanx!
    12-10-12 09:54 PM
27 12