I found another way in which the PlayBook tops both Android and Apple Tablets. HBO Go cannot be watched via HDMI connection to a monitor on Android tablets and phones (only on the tablets and phones themselves through the HBO Go Android app..and as we all know Ipads do not have HDMI ports). Yet with the PlayBook, because you are accessing HBO Go through their desktop website, you can connect to a monitor with your HDMI out/cable.

Yes, you need to have an HBO subscription through your cable or satellite provider.

For me, however, it means I do not have to have a third cable box installed in my house in my computer room to watch HBO Go.
    Last edited by nextcity; 09-07-12 at 06:35 PM.
    09-07-12 05:55 PM
    Can you take the playbook to a friends house who has WiFi but not HBO and still use it?
    09-07-12 06:14 PM
    Can you take the playbook to a friends house who has WiFi but not HBO and still use it?
    Yes. Your HBO subscription that entitles you to use HBO Go can be used over any land-based or cell service provided Wi-fi network.
    Last edited by nextcity; 09-07-12 at 06:48 PM.
    09-07-12 06:34 PM
    No. Your Wi-Fi must also be provided by your cable/satellite provider for which you have the HBO subscription in order to get HBO Go.
    Not true. I get HBO through DirecTv. I get cable to my house through the local cable provider, they are completely different company with no relationship what so ever. I can watch HBO Go here easily. I can also watch it at my workplace, which also gets cable from the local cable provider.
    Hgouck likes this.
    09-07-12 06:39 PM
    Learn something new everyday. Thanks
    09-07-12 06:47 PM
    Not true. I get HBO through DirecTv. I get cable to my house through the local cable provider, they are completely different company with no relationship what so ever. I can watch HBO Go here easily. I can also watch it at my workplace, which also gets cable from the local cable provider.
    I corrected my reply above, as you are right. I misunderstood the question. My HBO Go works on any Wi-Fi network. I use my Verizon phone as a hotspot and watch HBO Go while away from home on my PlayBook when outside in sunlight, and on my larger screen Asus Infinity or Ipad 3 when sunlight is not a factor.
    Hgouck likes this.
    09-07-12 06:57 PM
    I found another way in which the PlayBook tops both Android and Apple Tablets. HBO Go cannot be watched via HDMI connection to a monitor on Android tablets and phones (only on the tablets and phones themselves through the HBO Go Android app..and as we all know Ipads do not have HDMI ports). Yet with the PlayBook, because you are accessing HBO Go through their desktop website, you can connect to a monitor with your HDMI out/cable.

Yes, you need to have an HBO subscription through your cable or satellite provider.

For me, however, it means I do not have to have a third cable box installed in my house in my computer room to watch HBO Go.
    How did you get HBO GO on your playbook? Last I was aware we couldnt download the app and android ports werent functional. Are you watching through a browser? Which last I was aware of it used to freeze playback?
    09-07-12 07:41 PM
    How did you get HBO GO on your playbook? Last I was aware we couldnt download the app and android ports werent functional. Are you watching through a browser? Which last I was aware of it used to freeze playback?
    He said it right there with accessing their website using the browser. PB don't need no stinking app for that.
    Hgouck, hpjrt and kozmo68 like this.
    09-07-12 08:04 PM
    Yes, through the PlayBooks stock browser running .668 (and not via a side-loaded Android App). It works fine for me, and I have only 12Mbps Wi-Fi through AT&T.
    Last edited by nextcity; 09-07-12 at 08:07 PM.
    09-07-12 08:05 PM
    Yes, through the PlayBooks stock browser running .668. It works fine for me, and I have only 12Mbps Wi-Fi through AT&T.
    Same I got.

BTW there is also MaxGo and Epix, if you are a Subscriber. Epix has an app, but also works fine through the browser. Still amazing what you can do just using the browser what others can't.
    Last edited by ralfyguy; 09-07-12 at 08:08 PM.
    nextcity likes this.
    09-07-12 08:06 PM
    He said it right there with accessing their website using the browser. PB don't need no stinking app for that.
    Got to love what the Playbook can do without all the "apps"
    nextcity and ralfyguy like this.
    09-07-12 08:07 PM
    I have some apps, but catch myself not even using them. Only a few I go to regularly, like Battery Guru and BeWeather and perhaps Files and Folders. That's pretty much it. I use the browser 99.9% of the time. Yes it could be better, but it serves me well. Especially since I can't catch any malicious crap using the PB.
    The only app I really crave is Skype, to stay in touch with my Family in Europe.
    Hgouck likes this.
    09-07-12 08:16 PM
    I do use Doc2Go and PDF reader. But like you most of the third party apps (which are few) that i have downloaded I end up not using.
    09-07-12 08:24 PM
    Wait a sec... I can watch HBO via my Android phone browser. So what's the advantage? Forgive me if I'm missing something.
    09-07-12 08:39 PM
    Wait a sec... I can watch HBO via my Android phone browser. So what's the advantage? Forgive me if I'm missing something.
    He was saying that he can watch HBOGO, using the Playbook HDMI out connected to his TV. Can you do that?
    nextcity likes this.
    09-07-12 09:05 PM
    My Droid Razor, Asus Infinity, and Toshiba Thrive all run Android Ice Cream Sandwich...which will not allow me to open HBO Go with a browser (they will only allow me to open HBO Go with the Android app). When using the app, if I try to connect an HDMI cable, it stops playing and states HDMI cannot be used.
    tonyron227 likes this.
    09-07-12 09:47 PM
    My Droid Razor, Asus Infinity, and Toshiba Thrive all run Android Ice Cream Sandwich...which will not allow me to open HBO Go with a browser (they will only allow me to open HBO Go with the Android app). When using the app, if I try to connect an HDMI cable, it stops playing and states HDMI cannot be used.
    It works via stock ICS browser (no Chrome; select desktop) and Dolphin I believe.
    nextcity likes this.
    09-07-12 10:05 PM
    He was saying that he can watch HBOGO, using the Playbook HDMI out connected to his TV. Can you do that?
    I'll take the HDMI, and raise you wireless DLNA: HTC Media Link HD review | Android Central.

As I noted earlier, only works with select devices though. This would also work with the HBO Go app.
    09-07-12 10:27 PM
    I'll take the HDMI, and raise you wireless DLNA: HTC Media Link HD review | Android Central.

As I noted earlier, only works with select devices though. This would also work with the HBO Go app.
    That's really cool. DLNA should have been on the PB as well. I usually just use my Samsung smart tv to watch hbogo. I sometimes use the PB video store to rent videos and then connect it to the TV to watch. Mostly I use the my Blockbuster account to rent straight off the TV. Same price, but Blockbuster gives me Dolby Digital, the PB doesn't.
    09-07-12 11:16 PM
    That's really cool. DLNA should have been on the PB as well. I usually just use my Samsung smart tv to watch hbogo. I sometimes use the PB video store to rent videos and then connect it to the TV to watch. Mostly I use the my Blockbuster account to rent straight off the TV. Same price, but Blockbuster gives me Dolby Digital, the PB doesn't.
    The Android solution is a tad restrictive though. Not all devices are supported, and $90 bucks for the puck is not very cheap. Convenient and cool, but at additional cost.

HDMI out-of-the box is definitely a strength of the Playbook, something else RIM has been horrifically remiss in not getting the word out on. It is a wonderful feature.

Heck, a concerted ad campaign on that feature alone would have done wonders to move units, IMHO.
    09-07-12 11:38 PM
    DLNA was another one of those promised things that we now wont see wil bb10 sometimes in 2013
    09-08-12 04:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD