Hey Everyone,

Just reading through the forums it seems like people seem to be having random issues with the Android runtime. Not for apps that don't work, just random issues in which you get a black screen, or it freezes, or all Android apps simply force close.

Now sometimes reloading an OS can help, other times it may not. The majority of users would be sensible and restore from a backup file which makes sense. Although sometimes the backup file might have corrupted a system file, in particular the sys.android.bar,

So, the next time an Android runtime problem comes up, I think you should consider the backup file as being a problem especially when you download a test app or two from App World and they work while when you restore from a backup all of a sudden now the apps have one of the above problems.

Now PlayBook owners here on Crackberry.com seem to go through the most tedious route and longest, the good old wipe-reinstall OS-restore from backup. A good reboot might solve any problems and should always be the first step in troubleshooting your PlayBook.

I definitely make good use of my PlayBook, its been an indispensable tool for many occasions but like any other piece of technology, your computer, your smarphone, your good old home phone, your television or simply your garage door opener, technology can be problematic at times. It doesn't mean that all these products are prone to failure on a regular basis but understanding technology is and never will be perfect can ease off the "x product is a piece of ****" comments we see all too often on many websites not just fan based forums.

Anyway, coming back to my original point Always backup, have multiple backup files in different points in time as well.

I hope this helps
    08-17-12 11:32 PM
    Android Runtime.. I run it and I want to run away from the PlayBook!!

It's good and all that.. but verrrryy problematic.
    08-18-12 12:45 AM
    Android Runtime.. I run it and I want to run away from the PlayBook!!

It's good and all that.. but verrrryy problematic.
    Oh yes, I definitely like the Android runtime. To be honest I haven't had issues with the Android runtime on official releases of the OS.

It's stable enough. RIM actually purposely disabled certain features, like the Accounts feature. That would have allowed Google Apps to work flawlessly, except maybe Google Talk, I think that one doesn't use Java code to access the camera, I believe it uses native code.
    08-18-12 01:05 AM
    The android runtime on 2.1 beta and 2.0 are very different as 2.1 android runtime is stable and a joy to use.
    enb123 likes this.
    08-18-12 08:53 AM
    Oh yes, I definitely like the Android runtime. To be honest I haven't had issues with the Android runtime on official releases of the OS.

It's stable enough. RIM actually purposely disabled certain features, like the Accounts feature. That would have allowed Google Apps to work flawlessly, except maybe Google Talk, I think that one doesn't use Java code to access the camera, I believe it uses native code.
    Camera on Android does have an API accessible by Java.
    Camera | Android Developers

I'm thinking RIM didn't adopt it in the runtime yet because the differences between APIs and what the cameras are capable of on Android vs Playbook.

The Android runtime is a tricky thing to develop, and RIM has actually done a really good job with it so far. I/O is the trickiest part of the runtime. Access to actual physical hardware on the playbook like camera, radio stack, etc. is much harder to program than simple display and processing tasks.

Greater support and stability will come, but it's got to evolve gradually.
    08-18-12 09:32 AM

I'm thinking RIM didn't adopt it in the runtime yet because the differences between APIs and what the cameras are capable of on Android vs Playbook.

The Android runtime is a tricky thing to develop, and RIM has actually done a really good job with it so far. I/O is the trickiest part of the runtime. Access to actual physical hardware on the playbook like camera, radio stack, etc. is much harder to program than simple display and processing tasks.

Yeah apps like WordPress which is directly from the vendor, not a third party version of the app can access the PlayBook camera no problem because it accesses it with the Java API. Not sure about something like Google talk but I would assume that it uses native code.
    08-18-12 09:43 AM
    The android runtime on 2.1 beta and 2.0 are very different as 2.1 android runtime is stable and a joy to use.
    Yes, I wasn't a huge fan of Runtime on 2.0, but on 2.1 it is solid and has brought new life to my PB experience. (Not that I wasn't enjoying it before. )
    08-18-12 12:00 PM

You need Google's blessing to run Google Apps anyhow, even with the API's there apps like GTalk and GMail etc. won't work. Well, theoretically they COULD work but that would be RIM skirting Google's rules. That's why all the really POS, cheap Android phones and tablets out there don't run GApps.
    08-18-12 12:10 PM
    You need Google's blessing to run Google Apps anyhow, even with the API's there apps like GTalk and GMail etc. won't work. Well, theoretically they COULD work but that would be RIM skirting Google's rules. That's why all the really POS, cheap Android phones and tablets out there don't run GApps.
    OR

Enable Accounts and face lawsuit
    08-18-12 01:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD